Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially put down a $1K deposit down at Stevens Creek dealership for my 2002 manual IS, however I ended up purchasing the car from another dealership last week because they had exactly what I wanted and they were willing to take $1K off MSRP and Stevens Creek would not budge from MSRP. I have left several voicemails/emails for sales managers at Stevens Creek to get my fully refundable deposit back and have not heard back from anyone since last week. Everytime I try to talk to someone they just send me to someone else's voicemail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my deposit back? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Don't worry, it's not legal for them to keep your deposit, so you won't lose it. I find with dealers it's much faster to call the financial department rather than sales. I had the same problem with a BMW dealer, didn't buy a car and sales wouldn't return the $500 so I called the financial department directly and they said "sure, we'll do that for you." and that was that.

Originally posted by altezzagirl:
I initially put down a $1K deposit down at Stevens Creek dealership for my 2002 manual IS, however I ended up purchasing the car from another dealership last week because they had exactly what I wanted and they were willing to take $1K off MSRP and Stevens Creek would not budge from MSRP. I have left several voicemails/emails for sales managers at Stevens Creek to get my fully refundable deposit back and have not heard back from anyone since last week. Everytime I try to talk to someone they just send me to someone else's voicemail. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get my deposit back? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you still have problems gettin your money back, tell them you're gonna call your local BBB (Better Business Bureau) and they should get the idea. That will usually freak em out.

-Dean

·
Registered
348 Posts
First things first:

1. find out if they are one of the preferred dealers or gold star winner for lexus. If they are their status can definitely hurt them in the long run. Or call the 800 # and start complaining the hell out of them.

2. Start leaving messages like my lawyer will be in touch with you regarding my deposit.

3. Drive in and demand your money and if you are really good ask for some interest too(carefully only few can pull this off)

4. Better Business Bureau- file a complain in writting and specify the root of the problem

5. Court of last resort- Bring in some reinforcement - I mean some Big and Nasty looking freinds that can intimidate the hell out of them.

GOOD LUCK...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This happened to me as well. You'll get your money back, but you need to bitch and moan VERY frequently. If the receptionist keeps forwarding you to voice mail, keep calling the receptionist and let her know you need to talk to someone. Better yet, visit the dealership in person!

In the future, I'd place deposits only with a credit card. If things really go awry, you have a little more leverage that way.

Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
As somebody mentioned earlier, you probably should be dealing with someone other than a
salesman. Try to get to somebody who has some horsepower, and you'll get your money back.

If they are still reluctant to return your $$$, and assuming that the deposit form
does not say that it is a "nonrefundable"
deposit, tell them that you will file a
small claims action for the return of your
money, and then go to the nearest courthouse
(either nearest to your residence or to their
place of business), and file the claim.

Have the marshal or sheriff serve the summons
and complaint on the dealer, and mail a
copy of the summons and complaint (clearly
marked that this is only a "courtesy" copy)
to the Lexus people in Torrance.

That should get immediate action from the dealer, including a refund of your deposit,
the cost of filing the small claims action,
and the next two or three services on your
IS.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: rseifer ]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yah, don't worry. You'll get it back. Talk to the finance manager and they should be able to do something about it for you immediately... You should demand to talk to someone in person rather than getting their voicemail. Keep escalating it till you do... Talk to the General Manager if you have to in order to voice your concerns...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Originally posted by altezzagirl:
Thank you everyone!

i know someone there, ill send u a pm with my number, i need some info from u and ill make a call.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the finance department and they were very helpful. The lady said she would send out a check first thing tomorrow. Wish I had just done that in the first place. Thanks again to everyone that helped out!

·
Registered
90 Posts
altezzagirl, just because I'm a "belt AND suspenders" kind of guy, I would write a quick letter confirming the conversation you had with the finance dept. and fax it over to them. It'll be a reminder for them tomorrow morning, and it'll be back-up for you if you do have file a small claims action. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by Deano888:
If you still have problems gettin your money back, tell them you're gonna call your local BBB (Better Business Bureau) and they should get the idea. That will usually freak em out.

-Dean
nah, i had someone pull that one on me..the guy didnt even know the number to contact them. HAHAH

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yeah, that "check is in the mail" bit is no better than voicemail. I wouldn't relax until the check is in your hand
I have to agree. When my sunglasses were stolen at my 100 mile service - it took the dealership a month and a few days to get me my money. Even though they said the cheque was in the mail - in the end I got note saying that they would deduct the sum of the glasses from my next service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nah, i had someone pull that one on me..the guy didnt even know the number to contact them. HAHAH
Well, a dealer pulled the sort of same **** on me years ago when i was getting my ES and when I told them i contacted the BBB, they freggin cut me a check the next day and were total ass kissers when i showed up to pick it up. Totally apologized to me for everything.

-DI

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I also had a dealer tell me they wouldn't return my deposit but in the end all it took was me walking in and telling the manager I was here for my cheque - they have no choice but to refund your money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts