Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I am approaching this incorrectly, but I need help. I drive a 2005 IS300 5 speed.

Recently, the red BRAKE light in the dashboard came on steady and the yellow ABS light did as well. Additionally, the yellow TRAC OFF light blinks intermittently. Also, the brake lights don't work anymore. The red tail lights do work when the headlights are on, but the brake lights don't. I found the 15 amp BRAKE fuse blown (in the fuse panel next to my left foot), replaced it and it immediately blew again when I pressed the brakes.

I haven't changed anything recently on the car that could cause this (I did recently install the SRT sub frame braces). There is a large sub woofer box in the trunk which is not secured, I think I may have smashed something in the trunk due to aggressive driving. Any ideas where to begin troubleshooting? There seems to be a short somewhere in the brake system.

Thanks,
Alex:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Similar Problem

I have the same problem as you. The lights go one when I'm in heavy traffic and shifting in first gear to a stop. It also happens when I hit a bump or drive on bumpy roads. But, when I turn off the car and turn it back on, the lights go away.

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I am approaching this incorrectly, but I need help. I drive a 2005 IS300 5 speed.

Recently, the red BRAKE light in the dashboard came on steady and the yellow ABS light did as well. Additionally, the yellow TRAC OFF light blinks intermittently. Also, the brake lights don't work anymore. The red tail lights do work when the headlights are on, but the brake lights don't. I found the 15 amp BRAKE fuse blown (in the fuse panel next to my left foot), replaced it and it immediately blew again when I pressed the brakes.

I haven't changed anything recently on the car that could cause this (I did recently install the SRT sub frame braces). There is a large sub woofer box in the trunk which is not secured, I think I may have smashed something in the trunk due to aggressive driving. Any ideas where to begin troubleshooting? There seems to be a short somewhere in the brake system.

Thanks,
Alex:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured it out today. I disconnected all of my brake an tail lights and then replaced the brake fuse. I then reconnected each light one at a time (placed bulb back in the socket) until the fuse blew again. I turned on the headlights and also checked the brakes after each bulb. The fuse blew after I pressed the brakes on the third light bulb I connected. I disconnected that bulb and replaced the fuse and the problem is fixed. There was a short in the tail light (led light) causing the fuse to blow.

I don't know it this helps you or not. I will need to replace the shorted light, but no problem with the other issues any more.

;o)
Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts