Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question one,
the manual says that the voltmeter indicator should always be at or below 9. However, mine is always (when idling) one whole bar above 9. So, I went to check the battery and the indicator shows a blue color, which is normal. My question is, I have 40000 miles (3 years) on the battery, should I be changing the battery or no?
Question two,
Everytime after I park the car and open the hood, I always see extra coolant leaking out and spreads all over on top of the coolant container. (sometimes it drys and become this pink color) is this normal?

Help for helping!

·
Registered
75 Posts
about the battery, all batteries will have a different life expentency. If you are worried about it, I would take it to a shop and have it tested. The process only takes about one minute to do.

And the coolant that is coming out of the overflow bottle. Either you have way to much coolant in your car, you don't have the proper mixture of antifreeze/water for the cooling, or your thermostat is messed up and it is not opening. In any case I would have it checked out.

·
8,849 Posts
TDLI said:
Question one,
the manual says that the voltmeter indicator should always be at or below 9. However, mine is always (when idling) one whole bar above 9. So, I went to check the battery and the indicator shows a blue color, which is normal. My question is, I have 40000 miles (3 years) on the battery, should I be changing the battery or no?
Question two,
Everytime after I park the car and open the hood, I always see extra coolant leaking out and spreads all over on top of the coolant container. (sometimes it drys and become this pink color) is this normal?

Help for helping!
You are misreading the manual. :shame:

The normal battery voltage is around 12.3 Volts. If it is below 11 Volts, your battery is discharged.
When the engine is on, the alternator generates 14.4 Volts, which is the charge voltage for the battery. At that time, the battery is unused and goes through the charge process.

In other words:
Engine Off - 12.3 Volts (Battery Voltage)
Engine On - 14.4 Volts (Alternator Voltage)

You or a service station, probably, overfilled the coolant container. It is no big deal, as the container in question is used to store extra coolant that gets displaced when the radiator is hot, and then it is sucked back in as it cools down. Look for marks on the coolant reservoir for "Cold" and "Hot" fill levels. Also, make sure that the lid on the container is closed (snapped) all the way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts