Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know if anyone else has camber problems, but i do! i have h&r springs, and stock shocks. my car has only been lowered for like 5 months and the inside of my tires are f'd up. i need to buy new tires now and dont want them to wear unevenly. does anyone know who makes camber kits for our car? would spacers help? please help!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Our suspension has a self adjusting camber. Just take it to a place that does alingment and they should be able to adjust the camber for you. I'm not sure how much of a drop the h&r's are but your camber will probably never be back to normal. The best thing you can do is watch your tire life very carfully. Make sure you rotate every 5k and when they look like they are gettin to that point when they are balled in the inside, have a tire place switch the tires so they wear on the other side.

·
3,221 Posts
crunchy said:
the alignment was fine, so i didn't get an adjustment.
When you get an alignment, they adjust camber, toe and caster. On our cars the casters are not adjustable. Just cause the car doesn't pull to one side doesn't mean it's within specs. Anytime you change springs or shocks, you should always get an alignment to make sure everything is within specs or else you'll more than likely have tire wear problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I dropped my car with H&R kit and my tires are worn out on the inside. I did alligment on the front but I never did it on the back, never new it should be done too. I went to my mechanic and he told me to call H&R and find out where I could get some kind of camber because by looking at mine he said it set to max and he can't move it any further. He told me not to bother going to allignment place because they will do allignment but there still will be a problem. What should I do? Please help.

·
3,221 Posts
Are you people rotating your tires every 5K? I got that done every 5K and my tires lasted forever with no alignment being done after an Eibach, Tein HT and Tein HA install. I'm not quite sure if TEIN aligned my car after they installed the HT's. They probably did cause I was fine for a long time. I finally got it aligned after I got my new wheels.

I have no problem now with alignment or bad tire wear on my 18's with Kumho tires. I wouldn't buy the kumho's again but that's my personal experience.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
This is an except from the thread,http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13316831&highlight=:

Sacrificial said:
Lowering will also do a real job on your tire wear. The excessive negative camber will eat up the inside shoulders of your tires, worsening with higher-performance (read: firmer sidewall and softer tread compound) tires. While this effect may not be as profound with long-lasting, lower-performance tires, check out one of the Falken Azenis Sport that was mounted on my rear axle:

Since my installation of coilovers, my rear camber adjusters have always been maxed out to counter as much negative camber as possible. My static rear camber then was at around -1.1 degree. This undeniable evidence of a truly screwed-up contact patch prompted for the purchase of a tire pyrometer, which told me with surety of how much contact patch I was squandering. Being that I was already maxed-out at the end of the camber adjuster range, I started raising the car using the pyrometer to guage my progress in reclaiming my contact patches. By the time the pyrometer told me that my contact patches spanned across the entire tread width, the ride height was here:

Not very lowered, is it? But it now grips like a mofo to the point the car's dynamic capabilities are currently beyond my ability to fully exploit it. But I'm working on it. 8)
What I always found interesting about this thread is that it would seem to indicate that lowering the IS300 (especially extreme lowering) is mostly for show because only half of your tires end up working for you. If you beilieve Sacrificial, and I do, the severe drops comprimise the profile of the contact patch and mess up tires.

This is one big plus of a coilover setup is it allows one to experiment in this manner and learn what is working and what is not as you go. With springs and shocks, you are married to a certain drop, good or bad. It would seem that performance-wise Lexus/Toyota pretty much got the ride hieght right(+/- 0.5 inch) in the factory setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
CRB
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing