Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 02 auto, after dropping the trans to do a front pump seal, get everything back together, then start the car up to see its leaking bad out of the same spot it was before. anyone had this happen to them or have an idea? I'm thinking maybe something else inside the trans is busted which is blowing the seal? or pump making to much pressure? anyone?
Edit: it's eaking out of the seal we just replaced behind the torque converter, but cant figure out what made it blow Instantly

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
Stupid question but are you sure it’s transmission fluid and not oil? I assume it’s leaking from where the transmission meets the block?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid question but are you sure it’s transmission fluid and not oil? I assume it’s leaking from where the transmission meets the block?
yeah, its definitely trans, it's leaking where they meet, forgot to mention we drilled a little hole in the bellhouising and stuck a camera In there, its leaking from the seal behind the torque converter, the one we just replaced

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, its definitely trans, it's leaking where they meet, forgot to mention we drilled a little hole in the bellhouising and stuck a camera In there, its leaking from the seal behind the torque converter, the one we just replaced
that's why I'm thinking somthing is causing too much pressure or maybe we got a faulty seal, ordered one from lexus this time

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
I assume you seated the TRQ converter fully back onto the transmission before bolting it to the flex plate? If not then that would for sure wipe out that new seal you installed.
Either way you’re going to need to remove the transmission again unfortunately. Also there is an inspection area on the bottom of the bell housing on the front of the transmission on the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I concur, the pump is probably fried. :/

I had this service done about 2 years ago, cost me ~$400 and providing a used torque converter from an SC300 application.
damn, thanks for quick replies btw, and yeah somthing must be wrong with the shaft aswell, my dad said the tq converter should've basically fallen off, but we had to fight with it to get it off

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Before you buy, pull the TQ and inspect the shaft and the pump bushing for any sign of overheating, gouging, damage etc.
Good luck
While you're there, turn up your line pressure. Middle notch should be good enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you buy, pull the TQ and inspect the shaft and the pump bushing for any sign of overheating, gouging, damage etc.
Good luck
While you're there, turn up your line pressure. Middle notch should be good enough.
thank you, and what does turning up the pressure do? help with heat so it dosent blow up again? lol

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
726 Posts
thank you, and what does turning up the pressure do? help with heat so it dosent blow up again? lol
It helps firm up the shifts. Soft shifts are what the Lexus transmissions have always been. So that the car seems silky smooth. However soft shifts actually will hurt a transmission in the long run. Nice firm quick shifts are good for an AUTO. Slow soft shifts are slipping the frictions (clutches) too much which heats up the fluid and burns up frictions prematurely and that stuff clogs up the filters and also.

Reactions: mm71522 and reklipz
1 - 12 of 12 Posts