Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car jacked up, front wheels blocked.

Question: painting edges of rotors...cant turn the rear rotor to paint all the edges. Can i put the car in Neutral (auto) and spin them. Or is there another way. Mainly worried if i put it in N while on jack the car will roll. (i do have wheels blocked up front however.)

And if i set e brake. wil lthat lock front or rear wheels?

Any info would be helpful. thnx

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
If you have both rear wheels off the ground, then you can put the car in neurtal and rotate the wheels. With the wheels off the ground, the trans isn't holding anything. I would hope the car is on jackstands and not just on a jack.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx for the quik reply. No, im poor..no jack stands. Just factory jack. Well, thnx for the info. My other wheel is resting on the ground ao it looks like im gonna have to get jack stands. Or either do it the time consuming way. Sigh.

Thnx again

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
Bucman said:
Thnx for the quik reply. No, im poor..no jack stands. Just factory jack. Well, thnx for the info. My other wheel is resting on the ground ao it looks like im gonna have to get jack stands. Or either do it the time consuming way. Sigh.

Thnx again
That jack is not safe for that kind of work. You can get a set of jack stands for about $10 to 15 at any discount auto parts store.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
IS = Rear Wheel Drive, which means the tranny is only connected to the rear wheels. And like Irv said, e-brake is only for the rear wheels too.

Definately get jackstands.... being poor is not an excuse. I got 2 stands, a 2-ton jack and wheel chaulks for 25 bucks at pep boys. I think your life and your safety are worth the 25 dollars.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnx again guys...im slowly learning my IS. BTW, i never got jack stands. On both rear wheels id paint 3/4 of rotor edge, put wheel on, lower, rejack, remove wheel, paint last 1/3 LOL...yea it took a lil more time.

Anyway, i will buy jack stands soon. I borrowed a friends when i did my exhaust.. he was outta town this weekend. Thats my next investment floor jack and stands. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts