Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an aftermarket front lip for about 8 months now and i drive my car about 70% on the highway and 30% local.
Anyway, both the front bumper and lip has developed a tremendous amounts of stone chips so i decided to take the car back to the bodyshop.
After speaking with the guy, he agreed to repaint my front bumper and lip for free, however, I must supply my own and specific brand of clear coat, because according to him, this condition is normal and especially with the nose of our front bumper being so straight and the lip has lots of surface for impacting with little rocks. He also said that this is happening because the front bumper had a lot of "materials" on such such as the factory paint, so repainting it for the third time will only cause the paint to chip even more easy because now, there are even more matierals on there. Is this statement true?

My other questions are:
1. For those of your who has an aftermarket lip and had your oem bumper repainted along with the lip, do you guys have this problem as well?
2. For those of you who has a complete aftermarket bumper replacement, do you have this problem with stone chips?
3. What specific brand of clear coat is the best?
4. What specific brand of paint is the best and strongest?
5. With some modifications, will those clear bra things fit with my current bumper, which has the lip on it? or is it possible to custom make a clear bra?
6. What is the best solution to solve my problem? :oops:

Thank you very much for helping and any commentions, suggestions or questions are welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
i would suggest after you get your bumper and lip repainted, wait a week or two, and then put on Xpel protection. Saves you money in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1NewLexIS300 said:
i would suggest after you get your bumper and lip repainted, wait a week or two, and then put on Xpel protection. Saves you money in the long run.
hi, thanks for reminding me, yes the shop did mention this to me.
also, after i put on the xpel protection i no longer can wax my bumper anymore correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
TDLI said:
hi, thanks for reminding me, yes the shop did mention this to me.
also, after i put on the xpel protection i no longer can wax my bumper anymore correct?
Taken from the Xpel site's FAQ:

What happens when I wax my car?

You can do anything to the shield that you normally do to the rest of the car's finish. The shield will accept wax and polishes just as your paint does, and will last longer with regular applications.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all of the information on the xpel protection! I really appreciated it and they sure will be very useful to me in the future!
However, besides the Xpel issue, which really is the final step/concern for my bumper and lip issue.
So before I get ahead of myself, does anyone have any thoughts on the brand of paint, clear coat or remedies to resolve this problem from happening again(or at least reduce the amount of stone chips?) or have anyone encountered similar problems before with your complete front bumper replacement/add on lip?
Again, thanks for all of the help on xpel! and please help me solve the the issue of paint and clear coat issue further.
Also, can anyone confirm with what my shop said about too much material on the bumper and how we should not paint the bumper over for so many times otherwise the paint will just get chipped easier?
Thanks everyone!
 

·
Threadlocker
Joined
·
7,912 Posts
TDLI said:
thanks for all of the information on the xpel protection! I really appreciated it and they sure will be very useful to me in the future!
However, besides the Xpel issue, which really is the final step/concern for my bumper and lip issue.
So before I get ahead of myself, does anyone have any thoughts on the brand of paint, clear coat or remedies to resolve this problem from happening again(or at least reduce the amount of stone chips?) or have anyone encountered similar problems before with your complete front bumper replacement/add on lip?
Again, thanks for all of the help on xpel! and please help me solve the the issue of paint and clear coat issue further.
Also, can anyone confirm with what my shop said about too much material on the bumper and how we should not paint the bumper over for so many times otherwise the paint will just get chipped easier?
Thanks everyone!
that's what i hear all the time.. the more you paint the more it chips... seems the absolute best way would be to sand it down, re-prime, then repaint.. but that is a lot of labor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey irv, thanks for your comments so far and helping me to confirm what the shop told me. so, i guess it is true that the more its being repainted the easier it will chip. (however, i dont understand why this is though, cuz cant he just sand it down everytime and start from scratch again?)

Also, at this point, i am really not worried about the labor because all i have to supply is a good brand of paint and clear coat and he will redo the front bumper+lip for free. Therefore, do you (or anyone else here) know a good brand of paint and clear coat? (and of course after that, I will be getting the xpel.) I think the first time he used Sherwin-Williams as the paint and a German company call Standex for clear coat.
Any other brands of paints and clear coat thats better than these?

thanks for the help guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can someone please give me some suggestions on the brand of paint and clear coat. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone!?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top