Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice screw imbedded in one of my stock Potenzas. Not repairable...so I'm now without a spare. Almost time to buy tires anyway... SO...

What should I get?

It's wet up here in Seattle a LOT. Even though I like to drive like a bat out of hell and enjoy the Potenzas on DRY pavement, I know I have to be practical...

I'm leaning toward Pirelli P7000 Supersport (high performance/all season).

Whaddaya think?

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but those are all "summer" tires...I'm really looking at all-seasons now...

·
Registered
170 Posts
That forum post also contians ultra high performance A/S tires.
Check the bottom half of the post.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is supposed to be hands down the absolute best. Buddy of mine got some for his Volvo T70R and loves them (older model R, not the new one).

You should look at alot of the summer tires more closely too. In many cases, summer tires will outperform A/S in wet as well as dry. Summer does include rain :).

I've read many many reviews of tires that show that summer tires can be just as performant if not better than A/S tires when it comes to wet.

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I haven't had any trouble with the Potenzas in rain either...mostly because I take it easy when it's wet.
I'm just indecisive because I don't know a lot about tires. Is your buddy driving around MN on his Michelins?

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S come in the "right" size? I don't see it listed...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do a search at costco.com (click on *Tires*):

Michelin® Pilot Sport A/S 225/45R17 = $206 ea
Bridgestone® Potenza S03 225/45ZR17 = $183 ea

Bridgestone® Potenza S03 215/45ZR17 = $173 ea

All Prices Include Shipping, Handling, Installation & Disposal; with lifetime rotation, balancing, and limited hazzard warranty (can't beat all that!). If you are not a member, someone who is can order the tires for you and they will put them on your car. Non-members retain benefits with the original receipt. Go for the slightly wider 225s! Good luck!

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ender said:
Do a search at costco.com (click on *Tires*):

Michelin® Pilot Sport A/S 225/45R17 = $206 ea
Bridgestone® Potenza S03 225/45ZR17 = $183 ea

Bridgestone® Potenza S03 215/45ZR17 = $173 ea

All Prices Include Shipping, Handling, Installation & Disposal; with lifetime rotation, balancing, and limited hazzard warranty (can't beat all that!). If you are not a member, someone who is can order the tires for you and they will put them on your car. Non-members retain benefits with the original receipt. Go for the slightly wider 225s! Good luck!
Yah...I have a Costco card...one of the few perks we get here at the office. But 225 isn't the same as 215...? :-?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yup, my buddy's a co-worker, so he's here in MN. We haven't gotten alot of rain this year, so he has no idea about wet performance, and snow hasn't hit yet. But, he's amazed at how well the dry performance is.

No matter what tire you get, you'll have to take it easy when it's wet out. You should look closely at some of the TireRack reviews for more info on wet performance of the various summer and A/S tires. I recall older posts of yours saying you don't really drive when it's snowing out, and other than black ice seattle winters tend to be pretty mild (compared to MN, my parents live in issaquah so i've experienced seattle winters) so summers would probably give you the best bang for your buck. A/S tires may compromise performance a little more than you want, although the Pilot A/S tires drive like summer tires. But you pay for that kind of performance :)

225/45/17s will fit perfectly on the IS. However, as it's a slightly larger tire, your speedo will be off by a little.

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dopey said:
Yup, my buddy's a co-worker, so he's here in MN. We haven't gotten alot of rain this year, so he has no idea about wet performance, and snow hasn't hit yet. But, he's amazed at how well the dry performance is.

No matter what tire you get, you'll have to take it easy when it's wet out. You should look closely at some of the TireRack reviews for more info on wet performance of the various summer and A/S tires. I recall older posts of yours saying you don't really drive when it's snowing out, and other than black ice seattle winters tend to be pretty mild (compared to MN, my parents live in issaquah so i've experienced seattle winters) so summers would probably give you the best bang for your buck. A/S tires may compromise performance a little more than you want, although the Pilot A/S tires drive like summer tires. But you pay for that kind of performance :)

225/45/17s will fit perfectly on the IS. However, as it's a slightly larger tire, your speedo will be off by a little.
Yah, I found a "calculator" for that on tires.com I guess one shouldn't be driving a Lexus if one has to quibble about a few bucks back and forth on a set of tires. I planned on $1000 for the set...that's just about what it will be with tax. I can use my odd-ball Potenza for a spare even if the size is slightly different (assuming just getting to a place to get service?)

·
Registered
670 Posts
S-03 are great in rain too.... never had a trouble in rain, I know cuz I'm in WA......

·
Registered
170 Posts
SeattleSheila said:
I can use my odd-ball Potenza for a spare even if the size is slightly different (assuming just getting to a place to get service?)
You should be fine. Depending on the tire, the difference in size will eventually cause strange wear over time, but if it's just for a few miles or so to get to a service place, you're good to go. My old GS-R's temporary spare was a good couple inches (at least) smaller in diameter than the tires on it and I didn't have a problem driving 5 miles or so to get a repair done once.

·
11,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dopey said:
SeattleSheila said:
I can use my odd-ball Potenza for a spare even if the size is slightly different (assuming just getting to a place to get service?)
You should be fine. Depending on the tire, the difference in size will eventually cause strange wear over time, but if it's just for a few miles or so to get to a service place, you're good to go. My old GS-R's temporary spare was a good couple inches (at least) smaller in diameter than the tires on it and I didn't have a problem driving 5 miles or so to get a repair done once.
Thanks. I will buy four new and keep the newest Potenza in the back for my spare.

Done some homework. It's gonna be either:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225/45R17

OR

Bridgestone Potenza S03 215/45ZR17

Any strong opinons on one or the other?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
s03's beat them out in every category: dry grip, wet grip, road noise, and wear.

i think i would go with 215's because with 225's there would be more contact patch with the road and increase a hydroplaning affect. but i think you wouldn't be driving that fast so 225's would be a good consideration .

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
How cold does it get where you live? Remember, performance summer tires (like the SO-3) do not work that well in cold weather. The A/S tire compound might be better for winters.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.