Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having major problems reinstalling stock piston dust covers after getting calipers painted; see photos.

The rubber dust cover, when it has the aluminum piece inside it, just simply cannot be “finagled” into the groove – at least we can’t do it. I have used grease and have tried it with pistons in and with them out. I have literally spent about six hours over two days just trying different things. I bought a couple of PVC pipe pieces of varying diameters and heights to get an even push on it. Used C-clamps and everything else. Ruined two dust covers and bent one aluminum ring trying different things (not a big deal – they are cheap).

The new parts are exactly the same as the old ones as far as I can tell. The rubber dust cover fits fine without the aluminum piece, and the aluminum piece fits fine without the rubber piece. When you put them together, there’s just not enough room (without some special tool or technique I have not found yet) to push it in.

The one thing I have not tried yet, is freezing/cooling the aluminum piece and dust cover to try and shrink it a bit. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Figured it out with the help of Andy at Avec service. The diagram shows the dust cover extending over (to the outside) the piston cylinder instead of inside it. Seems so obvious now...[there is some artistic liberty here and piston seal not shown]

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts