Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2008 250 this weekend. 47k miles black on black navi blue tooth etc. Don't know much about the car or available options/packages but it seemed pretty reasonable so I bought it since it was well below the kbb value.

I currently still have an 05 bmw 330i but I also owned an 07 335i that I totaled and then I wound up here. I wanted to replace the car with a second car however I didn't feel like spending too much money and came to the used lexus with quite a few miles as a middle ground between spending a bunch of money and getting what I felt was a good well made vehicle. So far it seems great, the steering is heavily assisted when compared to my bmw's, it does have a much better turning radius than my 335i due to the fact that it wasn't equipped with active steering. Its hard to compare the performance of a turbo charged 3.0 inline to this 2.5l v-6 in terms of sheer performance however I think that it does a good job. Its my first 2.5l vehicle so I don't have much to put it up against however I think it does well.

I can give a couple of insights coming from bmw. I know its a stupid gimmick, but my bmws do not require turning the headlights on or off manually. They auto detect the night/day. The seat belt warning is incredibly annoying. The bmw has a pestering chime that does its job and gets me to put it on, but its more like an elevator chime not my car is about to explode if I don't put my belt on type sound. The navigation on the lexus is WAY better. The touch screen makes it sooo much more interactive. The bmw center console wheel is nice, but less functional in my opinion than the point and touch lexus screen. The bmw paddle shifters are a bit better yet worse at the same time. I noticed that both shifters on the bmw can do up or down shift, which is good, yet I never really got used to it since it always felt backwards. Push or pull I still don't remember which is up or downshift lol. The autostick/tiptronic/steptronic of the bmw is much more precise. Its a short push forward for down shift, and back for up. Lexus I think does it the other way around and it feels like a much longer throw and not as tight.

The turn signal stalk on the 335 is better. They shifted away from a actual popping/clicking stalk that sticks up to a digital tap up results in three blinks to the right which is nice for lane changes. The same for the left side. If you push it up farther then it will continue blinking until you turn or push it down. It never is mechanically sticking up or down however.

The bmw also leaves the radio on until the doors are locked which is nice if you want the radio on if you are doing something near your car. The center console of the bmw is sturdier in my experience, however I like the way the lexus cover moves back and then flips up. Useful when you want access but not having to lift it all the way up.

The bmw seats are more comfortable and have adjustable motorized side lumbar support that pinch your side. Perhaps my car just doesn't have this option? But I felt the right side of my ass on the leather seats getting a bit achey after a 6 hour drive home from LA to PHX. I'm not fat I weight 160 pounds and I've driven that distance in my bmw and never had anything like that.

The lexus is far less expensive! Definite plus, haha but I can't compare a new bmw to a used lexus. I realize I'm not exactly comparing the same models but as far as the interior comments the lower 328i has the same features pretty much.

I like the lexus gauges a lot more. The bmw orange versions are terribly boring and the lexus white faced gauges are much much easier to ready at all times day and night.

The keyless entry comfort access on the bmw is a very trick handle much like the lexus handle that is very sensitive. It will unlock much quicker than the lexus version because any touching on a majority of the handle will do the trick. The lexus seems at least on my car I have to put my hand on the inside of the hand completely and hold it there for a good full second before I can pull the handle. The bmw however doesn't always work. I sometimes find myself having to pull my hand away and touching the handle again for it to unlock. The lexus doesnt appear to have this quirk. At least I haven't noticed.

When the sunroof is pushed UP, the lexus doesn't pop the cloth cover open to vent air, the bmw opens it a few inches so you don't need to reach up and slide it back at all.

I'm not sure if I like the emergency brake down by the pedal. Clumsily I've pushed it down a couple times getting into the car. I'll have to analyze if the saved space near my hands is worthwhile!

The bmw rotates the passenger mirror down when you are backing up so I can see the curbs. Not sure if this is just a setting but my lexus isn't doing it. If I just don't know how to use my car then I'm all ears!

Lexus actually has a dipstick and a spare tire.... bmw doesn't have one which is absolutely retarded. They use runflats which are usually the first things replaced since they are so hard and loud and it kills the ride experience. Haven't even checked what kind of tires the 250 uses.

I think my bmw was a bit taller head room wise. I found myself bumping my head on the roof when I was looking around and I'm 5'11". I have the seat all the way down and I don't want to lean back like a gangster.

My 335i was fully modded boosting 18-19 psi on meth/race gas so I am sad to see it go but it was fun while it lasted. This is more of a tame vehicle that I plan on leaving completely stock until I dump it for something else. I hope to not get the mod bug but ..... haha.. That would be foolish to believe! I hope there is a lively community here as there is on BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog / www.n54tech.com (hope I can post that) look forward to enjoying my car!

I'll do some searching through the stickies but anything I should know right up front about the car? Thanks!

Tyler

Attachments

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Just picked up a 2008 250 this weekend. 47k miles black on black navi blue tooth etc. Don't know much about the car or available options/packages but it seemed pretty reasonable so I bought it since it was well below the kbb value.
Congrats and welcome!

I currently still have an 05 bmw 330i but I also owned an 07 335i that I totaled and then I wound up here. I wanted to replace the car with a second car however I didn't feel like spending too much money and came to the used lexus with quite a few miles as a middle ground between spending a bunch of money and getting what I felt was a good well made vehicle. So far it seems great, the steering is heavily assisted when compared to my bmw's, it does have a much better turning radius than my 335i due to the fact that it wasn't equipped with active steering. Its hard to compare the performance of a turbo charged 3.0 inline to this 2.5l v-6 in terms of sheer performance however I think that it does a good job. Its my first 2.5l vehicle so I don't have much to put it up against however I think it does well.
The 250 compares more to the 328... the IS350 is pretty neck-and-neck with the 335i if the BMW is stock.

The IS250, if you throw the F-sport sway bars on there, will actually out-handle a 335 FYI

I can give a couple of insights coming from bmw. I know its a stupid gimmick, but my bmws do not require turning the headlights on or off manually. They auto detect the night/day.
Yeah, so does the Lexus... that's what the auto setting on the headlight stalk does.

The wipers run on auto too (rain-sensing) if you have the luxury or sport package.

The seat belt warning is incredibly annoying. The bmw has a pestering chime that does its job and gets me to put it on, but its more like an elevator chime not my car is about to explode if I don't put my belt on type sound.
You can disabled the seatbelt alarm, a quick search should turn up the directions for you.

The bmw paddle shifters are a bit better yet worse at the same time. I noticed that both shifters on the bmw can do up or down shift, which is good, yet I never really got used to it since it always felt backwards. Push or pull I still don't remember which is up or downshift lol. The autostick/tiptronic/steptronic of the bmw is much more precise. Its a short push forward for down shift, and back for up. Lexus I think does it the other way around and it feels like a much longer throw and not as tight.
Here's the thing- they aren't shifters on the Lexus.

They can fool you into thinking they are, but they are not.

They are top gear limiters. Period.

When you move the stick from D to S you see a 4 appear on the dash. That doesn't mean your car is in 4th. That means you FULLY AUTOMATIC transmission is now limited to gears 1 through 4. It will continue to FULLY AUTOMATICALLY shift between those.

If you paddle down to 3 then your FULLY AUTOMATIC transmission will continue to FULLY AUTOMATICALLY shift between 1, 2, and 3.

I only put all those caps there because most 2IS drivers never seem to get that you can't, ever, directly shift the AUTOMATIC transmission in the 2IS. You can't ever do anything except lock out a higher range of gears.

Which honestly, other than to save the brakes coming down out of the mountains, is just about useless.

It's worthless for performance purposes... the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are in D, not S... the computer is a whole lot faster and more precise than the drivers attempts at controlling anything gear-wise, and as I said, you can't actually shift the thing yourself anyway.

BTW- while on the performance topic... ECT-Normal mode is faster than ECT-Power in a straight line too.

ECT-Power can offer some advantages in part throttle or on/off throttle driving, but not in a drag race (not that I expect you're doing much of that, but it's good to know).

The bmw also leaves the radio on until the doors are locked which is nice if you want the radio on if you are doing something near your car.
You mean after you turn it off? You can leave the radio on in your 2IS by putting it in neutral, and then turning the engine off, then putting it in park... radio stays on.

You'll need to push the start button a couple times to turn it off after the fact in this case though.

I'm not a fan of the BMW method as you seem to describe it because, for example I don't lock it if I park it in my garage... so the radio would never turn off if I'd turned the volume down or something and forgot it was on... unless there's something more to it?

The bmw seats are more comfortable and have adjustable motorized side lumbar support that pinch your side. Perhaps my car just doesn't have this option? But I felt the right side of my ass on the leather seats getting a bit achey after a 6 hour drive home from LA to PHX. I'm not fat I weight 160 pounds and I've driven that distance in my bmw and never had anything like that.
The base model has plain seats, but most 2ISes come with the perforated heated/vented ones that are 10-way adjustable... the lumbar is an in/out adjustment though (in the small of your back), you seem to be describing side bolstering.

The lexus is far less expensive! Definite plus, haha but I can't compare a new bmw to a used lexus. I realize I'm not exactly comparing the same models but as far as the interior comments the lower 328i has the same features pretty much.
No, it's insanely cheaper for the Lexus when new too... the BMW 328i similarly optioned costs more than an IS350, let alone a 250, when new... and the 335i similarly optioned is closer to an IS-F in price new than an IS350 new.

BMW pricing is nuts

The keyless entry comfort access on the bmw is a very trick handle much like the lexus handle that is very sensitive. It will unlock much quicker than the lexus version because any touching on a majority of the handle will do the trick. The lexus seems at least on my car I have to put my hand on the inside of the hand completely and hold it there for a good full second before I can pull the handle. The bmw however doesn't always work. I sometimes find myself having to pull my hand away and touching the handle again for it to unlock. The lexus doesnt appear to have this quirk. At least I haven't noticed.
Possibly your key fob battery is low? On mine generally it's unlocked just putting my hand there and pulling the handle.

The bmw rotates the passenger mirror down when you are backing up so I can see the curbs. Not sure if this is just a setting but my lexus isn't doing it. If I just don't know how to use my car then I'm all ears!
The Lexus does this too (actually it does both side mirrors) but only on cars with the sport or luxury package. If your car has memory seats then it has this feature, otherwise it does not.

If it does have memory seats you need to set the side-mirror adjustment switch to left or right... leaving it in the middle turns this feature off.

Lexus actually has a dipstick and a spare tire.... bmw doesn't have one which is absolutely retarded. They use runflats which are usually the first things replaced since they are so hard and loud and it kills the ride experience. Haven't even checked what kind of tires the 250 uses.
Well, the engine has one... the transmission does not, and is a sealed system that doesn't require service (and you can't physically change much of the fluid even if you wanted to).

The tires depend on if you have 17 or 18 inch wheels and if it's AWD or RWD.

My 335i was fully modded boosting 18-19 psi on meth/race gas so I am sad to see it go but it was fun while it lasted. This is more of a tame vehicle that I plan on leaving completely stock until I dump it for something else. I hope to not get the mod bug but ..... haha.. That would be foolish to believe! I hope there is a lively community here as there is on BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog / www.n54tech.com (hope I can post that) look forward to enjoying my car!

I'll do some searching through the stickies but anything I should know right up front about the car? Thanks!

Tyler
First thing to know- don't bother trying to mod it for power even if you want to.

By far the cheapest way to make an IS250 faster is to trade it in for an IS350.

But if you're happy with the current hp it's a very nice ride.

First thing I'd tell you is with an 08 at 47k miles you are still, barely within the factory warranty period.

There are 2 very important things about that:

1) You still have the option of buying the factory platinum extended warranty. This will extend coverage up to 8 years and 125k miles (or less, you have many options to pick from) and it relatively cheap if you know where to buy it (NOT your local dealer).

Up to you if you want to or not... the car is generally very reliable but like most luxury imports is stupid expensive to fix if something does happen to go wrong. Even pretty basic parts are way more than you'd think (though you're likely used to that from BMW).

2) There are a bunch of what Lexus called TSIB (tech service info bulletins) that cover minor issues some owners have, and that if you bring them up are fixed free under warranty. The day after warranty they stop being free. You'd want to insure you have all relevant ones done before the warranty is up... and the dealer won't tell you about em, you have to bring in the specific complaint.

A search will turn a fair number of them up (and searching on the second gen IS section on Club Lexus is a good idea for you too).

Then tend to be stuff like:

Excessive vibration of rear view mirror with sunroof open- Lexus fixes free by swapping the IS-C mirror on under warranty. $900 fix outside of warranty.

Excessive front brake dust: the original brake pads through 2009 produced a TON of front brake dust... like wheels are filthy every 2-3 days a lot). Free replacement with low-dust pads under warranty, or like $150-200 out of pocket outside warranty.

AUX whine- The AUX port can have a ground loop that causes a whine in the audio if you plug in a device to both the AUX port and the cars power port at the same time... free fix under warranty (dunno the cost outside of warranty).

All little stuff like that, but there's quite a few of em.

There have also been a few recalls on the car, though these tend to be pretty minor stuff as recalls go... these are free regardless of warranty, and if you register with your VIN as the owner of the car at Lexus.com it will let you view your cars service history and let you view any still-outstanding recalls.

That's probably a good start for ya :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Incredible reply, thanks!

I would have to say a lot of what is going on is I just don't know how to use the car. I'll have to read through the manual and see whats going on.

The 250 compares more to the 328... the IS350 is pretty neck-and-neck with the 335i if the BMW is stock.

The IS250, if you throw the F-sport sway bars on there, will actually out-handle a 335 FYI
Can't argue with ya here since I haven't really driven the 250 much. What I do know is that with all things equal, less power steering assistance results in a more connected steering wheel which, with a good driver, can result in better control of the car. Now if the car you are controlling can handle better or not is something I don't know yet.

Yeah, so does the Lexus... that's what the auto setting on the headlight stalk does.
Noticed this today after you mentioned it :)

The wipers run on auto too (rain-sensing) if you have the luxury or sport package.
Not sure what designates luxury or sport package. I have heated cooled seats, looks like homelink on the mirror? sat radio... Not sure what else distinguishes the car from having which packages.
You can disabled the seatbelt alarm, a quick search should turn up the directions for you.

Here's the thing- they aren't shifters on the Lexus.

They can fool you into thinking they are, but they are not.

They are top gear limiters. Period.

When you move the stick from D to S you see a 4 appear on the dash. That doesn't mean your car is in 4th. That means you FULLY AUTOMATIC transmission is now limited to gears 1 through 4. It will continue to FULLY AUTOMATICALLY shift between those.

If you paddle down to 3 then your FULLY AUTOMATIC transmission will continue to FULLY AUTOMATICALLY shift between 1, 2, and 3.

I only put all those caps there because most 2IS drivers never seem to get that you can't, ever, directly shift the AUTOMATIC transmission in the 2IS. You can't ever do anything except lock out a higher range of gears.

Which honestly, other than to save the brakes coming down out of the mountains, is just about useless.

It's worthless for performance purposes... the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are in D, not S... the computer is a whole lot faster and more precise than the drivers attempts at controlling anything gear-wise, and as I said, you can't actually shift the thing yourself anyway.
I understand I think. In other words, you can down shift the car by eliminating the gear you are currently in. But from the sounds of it, you can't hold a specific gear when the computer thinks its time to shift. The only shifting to a higher gear is done at the end of redline which like you said would be done automatically by the car itself. Also, how does the powerband of this car look? The 335i runs out of steam at about 5700 rpms and we have to manually shift to stay in the power band... The 335i just recieved turbos to support it to 7k which to be honest I can't really fathom. The car is a torque beast as it was. I see my tach going red at 6500. I'm assuming the v6 is limited there? I'll also assume that because its a NA car that running it to redline would be the best shift point... Again, not like I will be compelled to race this car.

BTW- while on the performance topic... ECT-Normal mode is faster than ECT-Power in a straight line too.

ECT-Power can offer some advantages in part throttle or on/off throttle driving, but not in a drag race (not that I expect you're doing much of that, but it's good to know).

You mean after you turn it off? You can leave the radio on in your 2IS by putting it in neutral, and then turning the engine off, then putting it in park... radio stays on.

You'll need to push the start button a couple times to turn it off after the fact in this case though.

I'm not a fan of the BMW method as you seem to describe it because, for example I don't lock it if I park it in my garage... so the radio would never turn off if I'd turned the volume down or something and forgot it was on... unless there's something more to it?
Well, the problem is that with the bmw key, you have two options. Put the key into the port of the car and start the car or people with the comfort access (no key entry/start) option, the key stays in your pocket as with the lexus and the push button also will work. When you leave the car, push once to kill the engine and push again to turn off the radio and navigation/dash. If you don't push it the second time, the car will automatically kill everything once the doors are locked. I do think I noticed I wasn't able to lock the doors when I had accidentally turned the ignition on, but car off.

The base model has plain seats, but most 2ISes come with the perforated heated/vented ones that are 10-way adjustable... the lumbar is an in/out adjustment though (in the small of your back), you seem to be describing side bolstering.
Ah yes, the side bolsters, thats what I meant. My car has the heated cooled seats. I'll have to play with them more.

No, it's insanely cheaper for the Lexus when new too... the BMW 328i similarly optioned costs more than an IS350, let alone a 250, when new... and the 335i similarly optioned is closer to an IS-F in price new than an IS350 new.

BMW pricing is nuts
I'm not sure about the chassis being shared with other toyota counterparts but I'd assume that this is the case. I don't believe bmw can mitigate the costs of manufacturing like lexus can because there isn't a mass produced chassis or non bmw brand to help with that. I have no idea on what or how the prices are justified, but I do know that there are little things that seem to be different. When you say things cost a lot, that is no joke. One headlight and assembly is about 2,000. The housing alone is a lot but you also have the adaptive headlights. They HID's move up and down according to dips in the road so you don't blind anyone, not sure if the lexus does that. They also move left to right when you steer left to right. I am limited in knowledge about lexus cars so this is my 'impression'. Its my feeble attempt at cost justification and honestly I'm the last person you'd want to ask about that anyways.

Possibly your key fob battery is low? On mine generally it's unlocked just putting my hand there and pulling the handle.
I think it works well. I'm just saying that the bmw door handle is quicker. Its unlocked before I can even open the door. This is also a bad thing. When you wash a bmw the doors lock and unlock over and over.

The Lexus does this too (actually it does both side mirrors) but only on cars with the sport or luxury package. If your car has memory seats then it has this feature, otherwise it does not.

If it does have memory seats you need to set the side-mirror adjustment switch to left or right... leaving it in the middle turns this feature off.
Memory seats are on the side of the seat, right?

Well, the engine has one... the transmission does not, and is a sealed system that doesn't require service (and you can't physically change much of the fluid even if you wanted to).

The tires depend on if you have 17 or 18 inch wheels and if it's AWD or RWD.
The transmission in the bmw doesn't either. Which is fine. The rear diff of most bmw's don't have a way to add or drain fluid either. They call it their, 'lifetime fluids'. Bull$h!t. They mean the lifetime of the warranty.

First thing to know- don't bother trying to mod it for power even if you want to.

By far the cheapest way to make an IS250 faster is to trade it in for an IS350.

But if you're happy with the current hp it's a very nice ride.
Exactly what I tell people with a 328... Instead of turbo'ing it or supercharging it just buy 335i. Some people are in it for the challenge and I can respect that. Myself on the other hand, I have had many of my car's parts fabricated as one-offs by popular builders in the bmw scene and I can say yes its spendy, but its fun and I'm done blowing my money. I'm kinda glad the 250 is a dead end car. My 330i is a steptronic. If it were manual I'd have a supercharger on it but the steptronic tranny won't support over 400hp. The N54 in the 335i's are about to break 600whp soon on stock motor and transmission. As you can tell I am still a bit sad about the car :( lol

First thing I'd tell you is with an 08 at 47k miles you are still, barely within the factory warranty period.

There are 2 very important things about that:

1) You still have the option of buying the factory platinum extended warranty. This will extend coverage up to 8 years and 125k miles (or less, you have many options to pick from) and it relatively cheap if you know where to buy it (NOT your local dealer).

Up to you if you want to or not... the car is generally very reliable but like most luxury imports is stupid expensive to fix if something does happen to go wrong. Even pretty basic parts are way more than you'd think (though you're likely used to that from BMW).

2) There are a bunch of what Lexus called TSIB (tech service info bulletins) that cover minor issues some owners have, and that if you bring them up are fixed free under warranty. The day after warranty they stop being free. You'd want to insure you have all relevant ones done before the warranty is up... and the dealer won't tell you about em, you have to bring in the specific complaint.

A search will turn a fair number of them up (and searching on the second gen IS section on Club Lexus is a good idea for you too).

Then tend to be stuff like:

Excessive vibration of rear view mirror with sunroof open- Lexus fixes free by swapping the IS-C mirror on under warranty. $900 fix outside of warranty.

Excessive front brake dust: the original brake pads through 2009 produced a TON of front brake dust... like wheels are filthy every 2-3 days a lot). Free replacement with low-dust pads under warranty, or like $150-200 out of pocket outside warranty.

AUX whine- The AUX port can have a ground loop that causes a whine in the audio if you plug in a device to both the AUX port and the cars power port at the same time... free fix under warranty (dunno the cost outside of warranty).

All little stuff like that, but there's quite a few of em.

There have also been a few recalls on the car, though these tend to be pretty minor stuff as recalls go... these are free regardless of warranty, and if you register with your VIN as the owner of the car at Lexus.com it will let you view your cars service history and let you view any still-outstanding recalls.

That's probably a good start for ya :)
Yep, BMW has the service bulletins also. I'll be taking the car in asap to get all the recalls/etc fixed. You've been a great help and a promising first reply! I appreciate your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts