Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for people with the Tein adjustable coilovers and who are going to drive their car in the winter.

Currently, I'm dropped about an inch and a half on my Tein SS. I am going to switch to my 16" winter tires when the first sign of snow comes. My question to everyone is that, should I even raise up my car an inch or two back to roughly stock height or should I just leave the car the way it is. The real worry that I have is that if I do raise the car up a little, I won't be able to lower the car again in the Spring because the threads on the Tein will have seized together.

I heard this was happened to a couple of the members this past winter when they tried to lower their cars again. I think BigDaddyRich was one of the people.

If anyone can helpout with what they think, I'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
would that be covered under a warntee??. that shounds preaty messed up if you can only lower ur car once. this is my whole reason to buy coilovers so i can higher my car back up in winter.

·
3,160 Posts
ChinoXS203 said:
would that be covered under a warntee??. that shounds preaty messed up if you can only lower ur car once. this is my whole reason to buy coilovers so i can higher my car back up in winter.
Each time you do that, it will require an alignment. Your camber and toe will be different.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
id get it aligned. id rather do that then plow my driveway with my IS

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know that i have to get the car aligned if i choose to raise it up for the winter time, but in the case that the threads on the coilovers seize together and i am unable to lower the car in the Spring time, what i am supposed to do. this is what searching gave me...

Talks about Bigdaddyrich helping out Kel3 with seized HAs

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13340961&highlight=

Better one

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13338617&highlight=

Hopefully this will let people get a better idea of what i am talking about.

Rich, if you can chime in that would be great, since you are the expert on this issue.

Eric

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I raised my car up back to stock height when I installed the new HA's.

BTW, nothing seizes and "voids warranty" if maintained and cleaned properly. stupid things like using a can of keyboard cleaner compressed air and a $2.99 can of WD-40 makes the world of difference. If you somehow get stuck, use the propane torch trick.... it works everytime, but i didnt need it this time ;)

I think I may need an alignment, but Im too foolish to do it again. In a few months I'll be slammed again. I'll just be extra careful. Anyways I just bought brand new all-season tires. So it not buggin me much.

Good luck with your coilovers.. if you need more help feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich,

thanks for your help... another question for you. when you raised up your car and put your snow tires on, did you adjust the stiffness of the coilovers any? and if you did, is there a particular reason as to why?

Eric

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I softened up the TEINS's to 7 click from the softest setting all around. but thats just me and my driving habits.

Usually i run 12 from soft in front and 8 from soft in rear during the summer.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so you run, pretty stiff during the summer, if i read that correctly.

i run 6 from the softest in the front and 7 from the softest in the rear in the summer. is there a reason why you run stiffer in the front than the rear?

i have the Tein SS, so how different at the settings from the HAs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.