Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 2001 IS300 with 185k and today my front lights started to go up and down nonstop. As soon as you turn your car on and turn your lights on it start adjusting it and never stops. However if your car is off but the lights are on it doesn't do it. Is there any way to turn them off so they will not adjust? Any input will help!!! THANKS HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
The headlight ECU is in the driver's side kick panel. It's the litle door the furthest toward the firewall. You have to kinda get your head under the dash to see it. You might find a fuse in there you can pull to stop it from trying to self level.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked but I can't find any fuse that will relate to it.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
is there a fuse you can pull?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
On the kick panel there's a fuse box and forward of that is the healight ecu box. Did you find that?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Damn...demon IS.

try resetin the ecu. the levelers prolly juss got retarded.. unhook the battery and wait 30secs.

let us know the outcome..

good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hey guys I have an 2001 IS300 with 185k and today my front lights started to go up and down nonstop. As soon as you turn your car on and turn your lights on it start adjusting it and never stops. However if your car is off but the lights are on it doesn't do it. Is there any way to turn them off so they will not adjust? Any input will help!!! THANKS HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
looks like your headlight autolevelling system is going crazy. don't really know of anyway to diagnose it though.

if it's both headlights going up and down, the motors are working and it maybe the level sensor/controllers on the suspension that would be defective.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Check the adjuster in the back of the car, its possible the bolt has loosened or broken. This would result in free play of the leveling system.

Digger08

·
Registered
962 Posts
even if there was free play, the lights shouldn't be going crazy if the car is just parked right?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I suppose not. Just thinking that if you were driving and the ups and downs of the road would cause this. It certainly is worth a quick check, as you can see the adjuster easily.

Try the reset of the ECU and see if that helps then.

Digger08

·
Registered
962 Posts
I suppose not. Just thinking that if you were driving and the ups and downs of the road would cause this. It certainly is worth a quick check, as you can see the adjuster easily.

Try the reset of the ECU and see if that helps then.

Digger08
definitely if there was travel in the suspension, then it is possible that the adjustments would be exaggerated if the adjuster arm has free play.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried reseting the ECU but it didn't help. Car is parked and there is no movement in the suspension but the lights are going up and down... i was trying to find a fuse for the leveling motors but I cannot find it:(((. Anybody know where it may be and how is it called?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And anyways where is those sensors located for hight adjustment?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If it is doing it non stop , is it both lights?
If it is both then the wire that tells the controller on the headlights is getting a bad signal. The wire is getting a open which triggers the controller to do a self level test. If it keeps opening and shorting back it keeps triggering the cycle. Need a wiring manual to see which wire on the controller to remove and start testing as it should be triggered from the key position.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it is doing it non stop , is it both lights?
If it is both then the wire that tells the controller on the headlights is getting a bad signal. The wire is getting a open which triggers the controller to do a self level test. If it keeps opening and shorting back it keeps triggering the cycle. Need a wiring manual to see which wire on the controller to remove and start testing as it should be triggered from the key position.
Is it a wire that comes from the sensors?:confused:

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
When i first bought my 2001 IS The lights use to bounce up and down too for a while. Eventually the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Its the height sensors. there's one on the front, and one on the rear suspension. remove them, and inspect them internally. Im sure you will find lots of corrosion, causing unusual resistance, that in tern is confusing the headlight computer, and causing your issues. This is a common Lexus issue, lookup threads on height sensors.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey I washed my car today and all went back to normal except that left light is set higher then right one. After hollidays I'll go to garage and let them take a look. THANKS EVERYBODY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Do they move up and down when you start the car still?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts