Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dunno if this is BS but my friend told me that if you turn the heater on full blast the engine will run cooler. if its true i might turn on the heater full blast on the a canyon run

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Sure, you're running engine collant through the heater core and tranfering heat from the coolant to the cabin air. Almost like having a bigger radiator.

You can also make it run cooler by installing a lower temperature thermostat.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
correct

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
HAHA yeah its true Austin. I was running the heater, and so where the honda guys last time we went. It's a nice little extra safty thing.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the thermostat regulates engine temp

the only time this helps is when the car is not warmed up, and you are trying to keep it colder, longer (retarded)

or when you overtax the cooling system (autocrossing)

or if something in the cooling system were to fail (eg: fan, thermo etc)

if the heater core got it cold enough, to where it would start to decrease the overall coolant temp, the wax in the thermostat would see this change in temp and the thermostat would start to close, causing the engine temp to rise again, until it was warm enough for the thermostat to open to its N.O.T. position

-gte

AustinAltezza said:
dunno if this is BS but my friend told me that if you turn the heater on full blast the engine will run cooler. if its true i might turn on the heater full blast on the a canyon run

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i would request a pic if you ever drive around with the a/c on full blast :D

JDM_SXE-10 said:
RdRoket said:
oh no ur right its actually 1.035299283
Perfect! I will drive with my heater on all the time now. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts