Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are heated seats a MUST HAVE option for any buyer? Would anyone on this board refuse to take a car that didn't have heated seats?

Are heated seats even a WANT TO HAVE OPTION for anyone on this board? Would anyone say, oh, let me wait a couple of weeks until the next graphite grey comes in so I can have heated seats?

Or are heated seats just a way for manufacturers and dealers to fatten up their profit margins?

Even when I lived in Maine and drove a convertible I never found myself saying "gosh, I really wish I had heated seats."

My wife's Saab has heated seats which we almost never use except as a novelty item. They do warm up the seats, but you wind up feeling like you're sitting in a puddle of water.

Just wondered if there really is demand out there for heated seats, esp since I see a lot of buyers in southern states as baffled as I am about why Lexus is sending cars with heated seats to the Sun Belt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ha ha ha... since I moved from Massachusetts to Bay Area, I have no need for heated seats. Most IS300's here do not come with heated seat (special order).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well alot of the times, its a collection of novelty accessories that wins a buyer. The combination of auto-on headlights, auto windshield wipers, auto dimming mirrors, auto up/down all windows, auto-leveling headlights back up assist sideview mirrors, outside heated mirrors, heated seats, memory seats, memory mirrors, memory stereo settings, steering wheel control of stero/cellphone/cruise control.

Most of these cost basically nothing to engineer in comparison to something like Side Airbags, or a Traction Control System. Auto-anything is basically a EE project for a College Senior. I would gladly give up traction control for auto everything.

What puzzles me, is that it takes so little engineering to make auto-down/up windows, yet only cars like the GS400 and Benz S-Class get it.

For (#@*$ing crying out loud, it costs more to put alloy wheels upgrade from a Civic Ex to and Si, and yet only $50,000 cars get this option. (With exception of the Passat)

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think it's just a way to make more money, at least here in the south. The only cars down here that don't come with heated seats, don't have LSD as well. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If I lived in Canada I WOULD want heated seats for the cold winters. Where I live in California, I would never use them. For colder climates I would NOT really call them a novelty. In Florida I can't see *any* use for them.

The things I start to think of as expensive novelties are things like power-seat-memory (not available on the IS300) & auto-dimming mirrors (not available on the IS300). Sure they are somewhat useful, but it is so easy (and infrequent) that you need to adjust those items that manual controls seem fine to me.

I guess I think the glow in the dark emergency release handle in the trunk is a waste of time, but if it ends up saving one child's life then it is all worth it...

I definately think the "wood trim" option is a novely and a waste of money...

I don't think the car makers are going out of their way to think "lets make up some new gimmicks that we can sell at a profit". At the heart of most-all features is someone really asking for the thing they end up offering.

What do you think about these:

Rear window wipers?
Headlight wipers?
Headlight (squirter) washers?

Cadillac night vision system?
Cadillac OnStar system?
Cadillac Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist?

Cadillac Electric Trunk Closer
Verbal Aids ("Your door is ajar")

How about run-flat tires?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Old Acura Legends closed doors that were left ajar! How about that... I see that as useful.

When you hold down the unlock button for higher end Lexus' all the windows roll down, and the sunroof opens. I'm sure a ton of Scorching hot So Cal days could use that handy feature.

New Benz's have sensors for what side of the car the sun shines on, and cools that side more... that's a damn smart A/C.

They also have a one button feature that will close all your windows and the sunroof when you go through a tunnel or in a parking deck.

Or lowering a car on the fly automatically by up to an inch to reduce aerodynamic drag at highway speeds?

How about High end Bimmer's that change camber on the fly during hard cornering to maintain a large contact patch.

Airbags that don't deploy if they sense a baby seat?

Side airbags that dont deploy if sensor's detect the passenger leaning against the door.

In Japan the Equivalent for the TL has an option for a spoiler-mounted CCD Camera whose view can be seen from the Navigation Monitor, for ease of backing into tight spaces.

The Japanese Honda Odyesey (I know.. spelling) Has cameras mounted on the front bumper that look left and right in their respective directions, so you can inch the nose of the van around a corner and see whats coming either way on the Navigation Monitor.

And as for run-flat tires... I've always wondered if vehicles equipped with runflats have pressure sensors. I know the C5 does, but what about all the others? Without a pressure sensor, you'll never know you've got a flat, and the 50 mile grace period you get will be wasted since you never knew you were in trouble in the first place. You could spend those 50 miles driving AWAY from the nearest phone/gas station/sign of civilization. Just a question.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by F=ma:
Old Acura Legends closed doors that were left ajar! How about that... I see that as useful.
Yeah thats useful unless your finger/hand caught in the door was the reason it was left ajar! *laugh*

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Many taxicabs in Tokyo have auto closing rear doors. A cab driver barked at me as I was reaching to close the door by myself...

---------------

Hey what about the BMWesque "instant fuel mileage gauge" on the IS300 dash?

That seems like a gimmick to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an IS--got one from the first truckload here. They were ONLY available with heated seats. I don't think I'll bother reading in the manual how to operate them. Seeing as the average temp here in S. Florida in the winter is about 80 degrees, I doubt I'll ever use them!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey TEG:

The rear doors of the taxicabs in Japan are actually not automatic but a simple mechanism controlled by the driver. THEY are strictly mechanical and the driver is the one opening and closing the door for you!!!!

The reason why they yell at you is because touching the door meant dis-satisfaction of their service....They consider that as an insult!!!

Back to the heated seats, I certainly think that would help immensely if you're constipated in the morning on your way to work.....How about those hemmies????? That'll help too!!!!

[This message has been edited by dude (edited July 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Heated seats have to be useful some times.. What if you're wearing shorts on a nice day and it gets really cold in the evening ? That's what I imagine I'd used them for.

--k

·
Registered
654 Posts
Headlight wipers? Take a look in the IS300 owner's manual, and where I have one blank space where something should go and two coin holders, there is a switch for headlight wipers. They even go so far as to warn not to use the wiper if the fluid is all gone because the fluid squirter motor may overheat. Um...what's the deal with that? Look in the picture index on the left of the steering wheel, left of the dimming switch, and there is the headlight wiper cleaner thingee...weird...

·
Registered
155 Posts
You could argue the same thing with the NAV system, dimming mirror, memory seats and all the other crap people are complaining that the IS doesn't have. It's mainly that to compete in the class (mid-luxo/sport incase ol' TechYok is lurking, I'm not being a SNOB) that the IS is being pushed in Lexus has to offer this stuff for the price. People would really be sprouting horns without more features found in the seemingly benchmark 3-series.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
148 Posts
All these things add weight to the car, and it already weighs enough. People have paid extra (ITR, NSX, Club Sport) to have nonessential things deleted. And all those body kits and spoilers will be adding more road-hugging weight.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i believe that headlight wipers are for snowy conditions, and possibly if u get splashed mud on your headlight and it impairs its function. that the only purpose i can see.

mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts