Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my IS for a couple of weeks but I noticed that if I have the windows down(A/C off) there is a small amount of heat coming from the steering column. It almost feels like you have the heat on low. I noticed air flow is usually on recirculate - could this be the problem? Has anyone else noticed/fixed this problem? It just makes a guy's crotch get way too hot and sweaty!!!

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The IS will turn the blower on low even when the controls are set to off. It monitors the air quality and when need be it circulates in fresh air. It happens more when the windows are down as it detects Cabon monoxide and atempts to circulate fresh air in. I noticed this after I got mine so I asked the dealer. I never really felt heat with it though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Also the temperature gauge, will not be fully automatic if your AC is off (or in any other position than "Auto" mode).

i.e. The temperature gauge will be a standard cold/hot gauge, simply adding heat to the airflow at any level other than the max cold setting. My recommendation, is to simply leave the Control Gauge at the coldest setting...)

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: soulstalker ]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by lisnup65:
The IS will turn the blower on low even when the controls are set to off. It monitors the air quality and when need be it circulates in fresh air. It happens more when the windows are down as it detects Cabon monoxide and atempts to circulate fresh air in. I noticed this after I got mine so I asked the dealer. I never really felt heat with it though.

I don't know who told you that, but that is completely false.

The IS does not incorporate a smog/air quality sensor like the GS, LS and LX models. Also, the climate control will never turn the fan on low if it is the "OFF" position. If you feel air while you're driving that is because the intake is set on "fresh" and the air is being forced in from the top of the vents below the windshield.

The reason that you may sometimes see the intake on "recirculate" or "fresh" is completely dependent on the outside and inside temperature of the cabin. For example: If it is 90 degrees outside and you get into your IS, turn the climate on to Auto set at 70, you'll notice that the intake will automatically set to "Recirculate". After about 10 minutes when the cabin has cooled, turn the dial up to about 77, you'll notice the intake will now switch to "Fresh". The reason the climate selects "Recirculate" is to speed up the cooling or heating process. It is completely automatic depending only on temperatures.

Say you leave the climate at 77 and turn the car off...Park it for an hour in 90 degree weather...When you get back and start your IS without turning on the climate control, you'll notice that it's now on "Recirculate". The climate control, even though it is off, has set the perimeters for speeding the cooling process up. That's it. Also, if you ever select defrost, it will always select "Fresh" to reduce/ eliminate moisture build up.

If you feel heat, it is because the climate control is not on, the temperature set may be over 70 and the A/C isn't running...There is still coolant flowing through the heater, that's why you feel the heat. To turn the heater valve completely off, turn the temp all the way to the lowest setting. You will notice now that every time you start your IS, the air intake will set to "Recirculate", because it's "thinking" you want maximum cooling (even though the A/C is off).

Sorry I made this so long...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
slodeanis
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing