Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK has anyone done just a HU/amp upgrade???? All I see are people who have put RCA inputs in the factory amp, or put subs on the factory system, or changed out the factory speakers, or added a DVD/NAV, whatever whatever. But NO ONE that has just changed the freakin cd player and amp. Here is my problem, and please if there is any thread on this please point me in the right direction. I have a new reciever that I want to put in my car the problem is it requires an external amp to power it(i.e. it has NO INTERNAL AMP). Now will the factory amp power it? Or will I have to put a different amp on it? I have another amp so that isn't a problem. My beef with all of this is, I have heard of people on here complaining that when they have changed the factory amp they have not liked the sound of the factory speakers. I don't wanna have this installed, only to find out that the speakers sound like crap with the new equipment. The amp is only 30 Watts RMS per channel, 90 Watts RMS Bridged X2. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
amy11079 said:
OK has anyone done just a HU/amp upgrade???? All I see are people who have put RCA inputs in the factory amp, or put subs on the factory system, or changed out the factory speakers, or added a DVD/NAV, whatever whatever. But NO ONE that has just changed the freakin cd player and amp. Here is my problem, and please if there is any thread on this please point me in the right direction. I have a new reciever that I want to put in my car the problem is it requires an external amp to power it(i.e. it has NO INTERNAL AMP). Now will the factory amp power it? Or will I have to put a different amp on it? I have another amp so that isn't a problem. My beef with all of this is, I have heard of people on here complaining that when they have changed the factory amp they have not liked the sound of the factory speakers. I don't wanna have this installed, only to find out that the speakers sound like crap with the new equipment. The amp is only 30 Watts RMS per channel, 90 Watts RMS Bridged X2. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
1) I would not connect an aftermarket headunit to the stock amp. It's possible, but more complicated than what the average person would want to do. Plus, I'm sure you aftermarket amp will sound better than the stock amp.

2) I would not connect an aftermarket amp to the stock speakers, for 2 reasons. a) As decent as the speakers are for a stock setup, I don't think they would do any decent aftermarket amp justice. b) The rear stock speakers in the IS300 consists of really 2 speakers a piece. Each rear speaker has 2 inputs, one for low frequencies, and one for mids and highs. To correctly power all the stock speakers, you'll need a 6 channel amp with a crossover on each channel. From your post, I gather than your amp is only 4 channels.

I think at minimum you should buy a new set of rear speakers and use the aftermarket headunit and amp you have. You can leave the front stock speakers, but I would cross them high at 100Hz since that's what the stock amp feeds to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah its a 4 channel amp. man, this is becomeing a huge pain in my arse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok another scenario, hypothetically speaking if i were to get the front speakers/tweeter AND the rear speakers could i still run the front ones off the stock amp or would i have to get another amp for those?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
amy11079 said:
ok another scenario, hypothetically speaking if i were to get the front speakers/tweeter AND the rear speakers could i still run the front ones off the stock amp or would i have to get another amp for those?
i still wouldn't run the stock amp...if you get front components with a crossover, you can run everything off of your 4 channel amp...much easier to do, this is what i did...but yes, you could still use the stock amp and your other one but i don't know why you would want to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh its not that i want to, i am just trying to go for the quicker route of getting this crap in my car. :lol: probably not the smartest idea at this time but i am an impatient b!tch when it comes to stuff with my car. :D :roll: ok well the component speakers i have been looking at are the alpine type R spr-176a's and the spr-694a's which i know for a fact the front ones come with 2 12db external crossovers. and i think the 6x9s do as well. so you think that would work? how did you do that actually. it has been about 5 years since i have even touched car audio stuff and unfortunatly for me it's not like riding a bike, its all foreign language to me again. thanks guy and girl for your help so far! :wink: hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
i used to have 6X9's in the read but now i have 6.5" components and it sounds much better, i would suggest either using two sets of 6.5" or 1 set of 6.5" and 1 set of 5.25"....i mean, if you are going to swap out the speakers anyways, you mine as well be happy with what your buy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
amy11079 said:
now why does it sound better with th 6.5?
better range...mids and tweets...not that the 6X9's sounded bad...it just sounds better with the components...if you get decent speakers, you don't even need two sets...you could just do one set up front and a sub in the back or whatever...anyways, it's your decision, i am just telling you my experience
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
i should note that i have two 10" subs in the back for my bass...if you aren't going to do a sub, then you may want the 6X9 for the lower range stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
amy11079 said:
oh its not that i want to, i am just trying to go for the quicker route of getting this crap in my car. :lol: probably not the smartest idea at this time but i am an impatient b!tch when it comes to stuff with my car. :D :roll: ok well the component speakers i have been looking at are the alpine type R spr-176a's and the spr-694a's which i know for a fact the front ones come with 2 12db external crossovers. and i think the 6x9s do as well. so you think that would work? how did you do that actually. it has been about 5 years since i have even touched car audio stuff and unfortunatly for me it's not like riding a bike, its all foreign language to me again. thanks guy and girl for your help so far! :wink: hehe
Quickest route..... here's my idea of the quickest route...
1) install your new aftermarket headunit, connect it to the aftermarket amp (bypassing the stock amp).
2) Conenct the front channel outputs of the amp to the stock speakers, but cross them high at 100Hz.
3) Connect each of the rear channel outputs to a crossover that splits up the signal to highs and lows, also at the 100Hz point.
4) Connect the high signal coming out of the rear crossover to the high input of the rear stock speakers and connect the low crossed signal from the rear crossover to the low input of the rear stock speakers.

It's not gonna be ideal, but at least this way you'll have an option to replace your speakers later while you can still enjoy your new headunit and amp immediately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drinkmalk said:
Quickest route..... here's my idea of the quickest route...
1) install your new aftermarket headunit, connect it to the aftermarket amp (bypassing the stock amp).
2) Conenct the front channel outputs of the amp to the stock speakers, but cross them high at 100Hz.
3) Connect each of the rear channel outputs to a crossover that splits up the signal to highs and lows, also at the 100Hz point.
4) Connect the high signal coming out of the rear crossover to the high input of the rear stock speakers and connect the low crossed signal from the rear crossover to the low input of the rear stock speakers.

It's not gonna be ideal, but at least this way you'll have an option to replace your speakers later while you can still enjoy your new headunit and amp immediately.
:eek: whoa. so now i gotta get a crossover??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
amy11079 said:
drinkmalk said:
Quickest route..... here's my idea of the quickest route...
1) install your new aftermarket headunit, connect it to the aftermarket amp (bypassing the stock amp).
2) Conenct the front channel outputs of the amp to the stock speakers, but cross them high at 100Hz.
3) Connect each of the rear channel outputs to a crossover that splits up the signal to highs and lows, also at the 100Hz point.
4) Connect the high signal coming out of the rear crossover to the high input of the rear stock speakers and connect the low crossed signal from the rear crossover to the low input of the rear stock speakers.

It's not gonna be ideal, but at least this way you'll have an option to replace your speakers later while you can still enjoy your new headunit and amp immediately.
:eek: whoa. so now i gotta get a crossover??
just get the new speakers/components and they come with the crossover, if you have to run the wires anyways, you mine as well put new speakers in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
doh! i'm retarded. i knew that i had just typed it in my post that they came with crossovers. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,720 Posts
amy11079 said:
doh! i'm retarded. i knew that i had just typed it in my post that they came with crossovers. :roll:
but you would need to get crossovers if you kept the stock speakers and ran your system the way drinkmalk proposes...
is it just that you are impatient or is money a constraint too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
ltunedgirl said:
amy11079 said:
doh! i'm retarded. i knew that i had just typed it in my post that they came with crossovers. :roll:
but you would need to get crossovers if you kept the stock speakers and ran your system the way drinkmalk proposes...
is it just that you are impatient or is money a constraint too?
Hey good point, I was under the impression "quickest route" also meant, "I don't want to buy new speakers". But yeah, if you can spare the cash for at least some rear speakers, I'd do that and follow ltunedgirl's advice.

But, if you decide to keep the front speakers stock, I would still cross them high at 100Hz because that is what the factory setup does. Hopefully your amp has some built in crossovers so you won't have to buy any extra crossovers for the front speakers
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top