Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems important and something we all should look out for:

Autoblog said:

Drivers in California will need to start keeping their eyes peeled for a new profile as they cruise the freeways. The traditional Crown Vics have apparently been joined by a fleet of 88 new unmarked Dodge Chargers. The new cop cars were spotted at the Sacramento vehicle preparation facility that the California Highway Patrol uses to outfit new cars. Unlike the model that we recently drove, these are unlikely to draw much attention from onlookers before they pounce. Speaking of Dodge police vehicles, drivers traversing I-94 in the vicinity of Detroit Metro Airport should watch their velocity ,as police in that area have recently been spending an inordinate amount of time writing tickets. On the way to a meeting in Dearborn yesterday, there were four unmarked Dodges, including a pair of Magnums (one each in red and grey) and a pair of Chargers. Those Magnums have been in that same location three times in the past month.
link: California speeders beware, CHiPs getting new unmarked Chargers - Autoblog

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
good looking out!
+rep (when i can)

Reactions: altezzagita

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Does anyone know what the CVC says about being pulled over in an unmarked vehicle?

The closest I can find is California Vehicle Code 2800-2818

sectoin 2800.1 (a)

condition 3 states "The peace officer's motor vehicle is distinctively marked. "

How are we suppose to differentiate from an unmarked CHP vehicle and some nut job impersonating an officer in an unmarked vehicle?:suspiciou

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just like their past "stealth" cars, they probably will have all the CHP markings on just the doors and nothing visible from the front from a distance such as light bars and push bars.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nice find, thx for the heads up. +rep

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Wow this really blows. Thanks for givin us all the news. I need to snag a radar detector or something.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Damn, now we have to keepour eyes out even more now....sheesh, becareful out there guys...+rep for looking out sir.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Although they say they will be unmarked, there does have to be some kind of distiguishing features, marks, or what not to show that it is indeed a cop car. That's unless they recently changed that law.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That blows.

But hey...good news for America is that at least the law enforcement agencies are still buying American cars. Maybe they'll buy enough to where they won't pull us over for the most ridiculous reasons. Wait, is that catch 22? :confused:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got pulled over one time in my Eclipse driving my 30 miles down to work by an unmarked SUV. And for what that same Suv got on the freeway cut me off and proceeded to go 5 under the limit so my next small opening I went around them and they flip on their dash lights. He's like you know why I pulled you over, I said yeah you cut me off to go slow. He ended up not givng me a ticket though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
He's like "you know why I pulled you over, I said yeah you cut me off to go slow. He ended up not givng me a ticket though".

LOL...:bigSmile: :bigSmile: :bigSmile:

·
Registered
703 Posts
great heads up on this one.. man.. it's gettting worse and worse driving here in Cali.
you know the cops behind the wheels of these sleeper cop mobiles are gonna be messing with other drivers, possibly provoking tickets..

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is already a couple of those rolling around southern Cal. One of my friend saw it on the five. He said it was white with the the star on the doors just like the "ss"

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There is already a couple of those rolling around southern Cal. One of my friend saw it on the five. He said it was white with the the star on the doors just like the "ss"
yah ive seen one, but it has lights on top of the car, 1st i thought it was some private patrol car.. then right when i went next to it, had a big star on the door with CHP on it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
we already have chargers, magnums, mustangs, and camaros up here:(

·
Registered
117 Posts
great... we already have charger marked cop cars. now unmarked?!?? ughhhhh. where am i supposed to go on a fun spirited drive in so cal nowadays...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
yeah and now the lights on top look like ski racks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i dunno if its true or not but a friend of mine said that the chp has unmarked trucks too

said he got pulled over by a solid white dodge ram with lights behind the grill

1 - 20 of 26 Posts