Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i just ordered the savv headrest kit and i was wondring is the install easy? is it something i can do? do i need special tools?

i checked with my installer and he wants to charge me around $150

btw im gonna be hooking it upto my eclipse 2404 headunit.

thanks guys

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
lonelydriver623 said:
hi guys i just ordered the savv headrest kit and i was wondring is the install easy? is it something i can do? do i need special tools?

i checked with my installer and he wants to charge me around $150

btw im gonna be hooking it upto my eclipse 2404 headunit.

thanks guys

Removal of the front seats makes it easiest and cleanest, but it can be done without removal. On average w/ removal its a 1.5-2 hour job.

For 2 headrest installed and wired to a screen you should be billed around 3 hours labor tops. So what is the shops rate?

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
With about 3 hours of labor, 150$ sounds reasonable. That's only $50 an hour. and also taking into consideration he didn't purchase the SAVV units through the installer.

lisnup65 said:
Removal of the front seats makes it easiest and cleanest, but it can be done without removal. On average w/ removal its a 1.5-2 hour job.

For 2 headrest installed and wired to a screen you should be billed around 3 hours labor tops. So what is the shops rate?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
i would do it yourself. just pull the seats out, undo the hog ties on the seat cover on one side. then tape all the wires to coat hanger and slide them in through the post. shouldnt take very long at all.

btw how much did you pick up the headrests for? size?

·
Registered
692 Posts
i plan on doing it my self any pointers and is it hard for newbies i have read all the isntalls posted online and dont seem to hard all i have to do is take my time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea i did mine myself..5 inch farenheit's..wasnt 2 hard

zer0tw0_iS said:
i plan on doing it my self any pointers and is it hard for newbies i have read all the isntalls posted online and dont seem to hard all i have to do is take my time.
make sure u measure everything out first and get it centered b4 u start cutting that leather!

·
Registered
730 Posts
zer0tw0_iS said:
I am doing mine once I get my monitors shipped to me. I am ordering the Alpine tme-m580 times two. I find the link below very helpful:

http://www.partsexpress.com/tech/205-018/pages/205-018.html

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The only advice I can give is as follows:

Disconnect neg bat terminal.
Remove 4 bolts holding each seat in place
Unplug harness from seat
Remove seat while being careful to not damage any part of the car
Set seat on cardboard or carpet to protect seat
Find hog rings securing the cover material to the seat(Located on bottor towards back)
Remove some of the hogrings
Slide wire down through the post opening
Reach up and pull wire out of bottom of the seat
Use zip ties and secure wire onto the factory wires on bottom of seat
Get a 2 pin molex(Male/Female) connector
Connect to power wires
Zip tie and position so its like a factory plug
Do last step for the video connection
(These 2 steps will allow easy removal of the seat incase it is needed without having to cut anything.)

Reinstall hogrings(If you cannot, use a heavy duty zip tie as it will also work well)

Repeat for seat #2

Remove door sill molding and kick panel
Gently lift carpet so you can get your hand under it.
Feed power, ground, and video wire to opening where heater vent comes out of factory wires.
Attach other end of molex plug to power wires.
Leave enough wire to allow seat to move(Match factory length)
Place seat in vehicle and reconnect factory wires along with your new connectors
Use Electrical tape and wrap the RCA connector to ensure it does not seperate
Remount seat, replace bolts, reinstall door sill molding and kick panel
Slide seat and verify that the wires can move freely

Thats about it. Should take around 1.5 hours or a bit longer for a beginner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the tips guys. im a newb at this. how does the monitors get power? is there a connector to the HU or do i have to do the wire it to the the batt?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
lonelydriver623 said:
thanks for all the tips guys. im a newb at this. how does the monitors get power? is there a connector to the HU or do i have to do the wire it to the the batt?

Just go to an ignition source for 12V+ and to a chassis spot for 12V-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts