Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im alittle new here and have one quick question about your is300 driving lights, when i see is300's on the road with driving lights on they are just the two inside lights on either side of the grill, and what about when you turn on your highbeams? is the highbeam housing the same as the driving light housing? if this is that case how is that controlled? maybe when the driving lights are on only a little power is feed to them or how does this work? thanks for trying to help me


oh yeah and im gealous of all you with your is300 i love them
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
bzboardz said:
im alittle new here and have one quick question about your is300 driving lights, when i see is300's on the road with driving lights on they are just the two inside lights on either side of the grill, and what about when you turn on your highbeams? is the highbeam housing the same as the driving light housing? if this is that case how is that controlled? maybe when the driving lights are on only a little power is feed to them or how does this work? thanks for trying to help me


oh yeah and im gealous of all you with your is300 i love them

ummmm....wow. First off, the highs are inside and the lows are outside.

Second it is jealous, not gealous
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
dude i still dont understand what your trying to get at....

The outside light is your low beams (normal driving lights).

The inside is the high's.

They are two seperate bulbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know they are two seperate bulbs and everything but i always see is300's with only the inside lights on only, and thus thought those where the driving lights, similar to an 03 camry with the driving light/high beams in the inside housing and normal headlights in the ouside housing and was jsut woundering how this is achieved?
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
haha....you do that

It might just be easier for me to take a picture of my IS300 and show you. You will have to pass one on the road to take a picture wont ya?
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
Ok, a picture would have helped earlier here....that is achieved by having the headlights switched to auto.

When it is light enough outside, the fogs and other headlights are not activated.
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
20 questions here....

But anyways, you can put the headlights on an automatic mode. Please tell me you have heard of this? When it is light outside and there is no need for your headlights and fogs to be on, the driving lights come on just for safety.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
941 Posts
bzboardz said:
i know they are two seperate bulbs and everything but i always see is300's with only the inside lights on only, and thus thought those where the driving lights, similar to an 03 camry with the driving light/high beams in the inside housing and normal headlights in the ouside housing and was jsut woundering how this is achieved?
The reason why you see so many IS300's with only the inside lights on is because they are the DRL's (daytime running lights). They automatically turn on, and most people either don't know how to turn them off or just don't care.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
These lights in the picture are your DRL's. (Daytime Running Lights) Mine are disabled but I believe they are supposed to be on all of the time at 30% power. When your highbeams are activated though, the DRL bulbs are at 100% power.

bzboardz said:


this is how i see is300's driving all the time with only the inside set of lights on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes this i know they are driving lights most newer cars have them, my original question is, how is achieved? because the inside is also the highbeam housing corect? so i am assuming that it is one bulb for both the high and drving lights but less power is given to the bulb to achieve a dimmer light that is used as the driving light? is this corect?


sorry for being such a noob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
Yes, this is correct. The inner bulbs are for the DRL and highbeams.

DRL: 30% Power
Highbeam: 100% Power

You can do the high-power DRL mod to make your DRL's always run at 100% though.

bzboardz said:
yes this i know they are driving lights most newer cars have them, my original question is, how is achieved? because the inside is also the highbeam housing corect? so i am assuming that it is one bulb for both the high and drving lights but less power is given to the bulb to achieve a dimmer light that is used as the driving light? is this corect?


sorry for being such a noob
 

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
bzboardz said:
yes this i know they are driving lights most newer cars have them, my original question is, how is achieved? because the inside is also the highbeam housing corect? so i am assuming that it is one bulb for both the high and drving lights but less power is given to the bulb to achieve a dimmer light that is used as the driving light? is this corect?


sorry for being such a noob
yes, same bulb....less power.

May I ask why this is such an important question, or are you just curious?
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top