Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership on Saturday, I had the condensation problem with one of my headlights.. Turns out they had to change the whole headlight.. I guess it was true that the 2001 were brighter and had a bluish look than 2002 and up.. Now it just looks weird one is brighter than the other :-? I'll go back hopefully next week to change the other headlight.... Anyone else noticed this??? OR am I that anal :roll:

I'll go back hopefully next week to change the other headlight....
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,054 Posts
If they changed a headlight and it didn't match the other one, they used the WRONG bulb. They probably don't stock the 2001 equipment.

I've heard that the 2001s are more blue than the later models...

You are not anal. I wouldn't have mismatched headlights either.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
I believe the bulbs used in 2002+ models are different color temp.
Have them fix the other light too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vlad_a said:
I believe the bulbs used in 2002+ models are different color temp.
Have them fix the other light too.
Yea from what the dealership told me they were just changing the housing. When I went back they ended up changing the entire headlight.
If I was aware I would have told them changed both of them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
i just had them do the exact same thing to mine and i went out there and sure neough i had different colors too. It is hard to tell from inside but now that i looked from the outside it is a huge difference.

The new one is more of a hyper white whereas the old ones have more of a purply blue compared to the new ones...

I put in a call in to Lexus but the service manager was with another guy so he is calling me back but i will be sure to have that fixed. i am hoping there will just go ahead and replace the whole other housing, even though i do like the 01 color more....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IS300Sam said:
i just had them do the exact same thing to mine and i went out there and sure neough i had different colors too. It is hard to tell from inside but now that i looked from the outside it is a huge difference.

The new one is more of a hyper white whereas the old ones have more of a purply blue compared to the new ones...

I put in a call in to Lexus but the service manager was with another guy so he is calling me back but i will be sure to have that fixed. i am hoping there will just go ahead and replace the whole other housing, even though i do like the 01 color more....
Yea same here the 2001 IMO is way brighter. I wish they just changed the damn housing instead of the entire light :whine: There is a big difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,389 Posts
it isnt a bulb difference.. the reason the 2001 looks mroe blue is because its probably been used more than a 2002-2003 bulbs.. the more you use the bulb, the bluer it gets.. thats why a new 2003 might look tan compared to an older 2001..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dpatterson069 said:
it isnt a bulb difference.. the reason the 2001 looks mroe blue is because its probably been used more than a 2002-2003 bulbs.. the more you use the bulb, the bluer it gets.. thats why a new 2003 might look tan compared to an older 2001..

Hmm interestin...So i'am jus wasting time going back to change the other bulb then? Someone mentioned before 2002 and up had a different temp bulb... Thanks for ur imput
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
The IS has always used the same Osram bulb so the color temp should be the same.

If the dealer replaced the light but didn't level-match the lights after the install, just the slightest diff in the angle of the reflection will make one side seem brighter than the other... just a thought.
 
G

·
hmm i'd have to agree with Kamis300 and say 01 are brighter. I was in front of an 03 and a 01 IS today. The 01 stood out alot b/c the headlights where more blue than the 03. This was tested through my auto dimming rear view mirror.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,389 Posts
choi0706 said:
hmm i'd have to agree with Kamis300 and say 01 are brighter. I was in front of an 03 and a 01 IS today. The 01 stood out alot b/c the headlights where more blue than the 03. This was tested through my auto dimming rear view mirror.
ahem.. let me say this one more time..

THE BLUER COLOR is because the bulb has been burned in LONGER due to the fact it is an 01 and not an 02 OR 03...

when one of my headlights went out, they replaced it and GUESS WHAT GUYS? it was more tan because it was BRAND SPANKING NEW!..

and guess which side looked more blue? hmm.. could it be the 01? yep!

anwyays, i ended up getting both replaced later on and now they match again..
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
As I stated before, one of the changes between 2001 and 2002 models was a slight change in color temp.
2001 was more blue, even with brand new bulbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
This is not good news to hear. One of my headlights need to be replaced because of condensation. I guess there's no way to get around this???
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
Joker said:
This is not good news to hear. One of my headlights need to be replaced because of condensation. I guess there's no way to get around this???
2001 model is known for condensation in headlights.
I wonder if you could convince the dealer to replace both headlights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
vlad_a said:
Joker said:
This is not good news to hear. One of my headlights need to be replaced because of condensation. I guess there's no way to get around this???
2001 model is known for condensation in headlights.
I wonder if you could convince the dealer to replace both headlights?
That's what I'm thinking, but I doubt it. Maybe I'll just wait 'till the other one starts fogging up too.

Better yet, maybe I can get them to replace both headlights with SportDesign headlights :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
I will have to agree with dpatterson069 on this one.

I had the same thought when I got my car (2002 GGP) in June '02. I wondered why my headlight color didnt have the blue/purple tint compared to other 2001's I've seen.

I posted the same question here and I was told that there is a burn-in time before you get that bluish tint. I waited several months and surely, I had the bluish - HID color I was looking for.

Again, there is a burn-in time to get the bluish HID color.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
I had mine done last week as well and mine match perfectly. It took them almost a month to order it in. I hope the other one does not go too. Those bitches charged me $234.89 in labor even though it was under warranty. They said they had to take the bumper off and with the intercooler piping it caused there to be an extra 2 1/2 hrs in labor :pissed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,072 Posts
i've heard lots of people say the 01's are bluer than the 02's and maybe it is because of the longing burn in, but i still have yet to hear anyone say that the 02's are bluer than the 03/04's. I'm inclined to agree with vlad-a and the color temp change.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top