Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that cars from Mercedes Benz, Audi, and BMW employ headlight washers that spray washerfluid/intensive cleaner to clean the headlights..... I've also noticed the Lexus doesn't use this system on any of their cars.... Do you think they are worthwhile or a waste? I've never used mine to date... A cool gimmick if you ask me, but nothing more....
Eric.....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think they are much more necessary in Europe, not unlike the third rear foglight, where you have many more less refined roads that can be dustier and have more winding turns.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we experience cold climates here just the same.... Also have you noticed that Audi, BMW, Mercedes for example has a second reservoir with intensive cleaning fluid (smells very strongly of alcohol), however the American and Japanese cars only have one washer fluid reservoir. The intensive cleaning fluid does work... I think other automakers should use it as well...
Eric...

·
2,909 Posts
FYI- If you read your owners manual, you'll see pics of H/W 's and I think it also shows where the switch would be if we had it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Headlight Washers are fairly common in Europe on mid-to-upper-level cars.
They've been showing up on this side of the ocean on the higher-end German & British autos in the last few years.
Having owned a car with Headlight Washers, I'll tell you - they are unnecessary. I never used mine once.
For what they must cost the manufacturer to include in the finished car, I can think of many other more useful items I'd rather have instead.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Washers, I'll tell you - they are unnecessary. I never used mine once.
For what they must cost the manufacturer to include in the finished car, I can think of many other more useful items I'd rather have instead.[/B]
I'm totally with you.....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
FYI: They (Lexus Canada) offer them in Canada. Even the IS300 Canadian version has them.

I guess Lexus USA thinks we don't want them...

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the United States, headlight washers are not very useful, unless you live in a place where there is a lot of salt, mud, snow, or dust on the road. The high pressure headlight washer system on some Audi, BWM, and Mercedes-Benz models does not work very well. I have seen them function on many different occasions, and they are not very efficient. The ones that really work great are on Volvo and Saab, which employ a wiper and high pressure wash. As the wiper moves, cleaning fluid is sprayed onto the headlight. These actually clear dirt and grime stuck onto the headlight glass. It is also very useful in Sweden and cold climates. Just imagine your windsheild covered with bugs and dirt. Spraying water and soap onto it will do absolutely nothing, making it even worse in some cases. Using a wiper and soap water makes all the differnce, it actually cleans!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that Lexus made a good decision by not including them in the United States, the pressure wash type system is not worth what it costs for a car. They can spend the money on more useful things. If you really have to have one, the only ones that actually work well are on Volvo and Saab.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are useful in Canada because when we get the snow up here it can seriously cover the headlights totally and you would have no useable light. The liquid probably is just antifreeze to melt the ice off. We also have a lot of salt buildup here and that can also reduce useable light. I'm sure these conditions exist in the US, but probably much more frequently in Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
superdx
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing