Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Some of you know my deal with the moisture in my driver side headlight...others don't. Well to make a long story short I never got around to fixing my error and now the it won't light up. How do I know if it's the ballast or just the bulb? I'm afraid that I fried my ballast. Someone help me out here and explain this one to me. I want to take it apart, clean it up, fix it, and re seal it all in one swoop so that way I don't have to pull the bumper more than once. Headlights are a pain....

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
well, you can pull the bulb from the passenger side and put it into the drivers side. if it works, then its your bulb, if not, I would check into your ballast. Then reverse the bulbs. if the driver side works in the passenger side you know that the bulb is ok. try to narrow it down with the things you have. also you do not have to remove the bumper to change the bulbs. Its a tight fit getting your hand in there ;) butat least you can narrow you situation down. let us know!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, you can pull the bulb from the passenger side and put it into the drivers side. if it works, then its your bulb, if not, I would check into your ballast. Then reverse the bulbs. if the driver side works in the passenger side you know that the bulb is ok. try to narrow it down with the things you have. also you do not have to remove the bumper to change the bulbs. Its a tight fit getting your hand in there ;) butat least you can narrow you situation down. let us know!
OK...yeah I'm doing all that now as we speak. I pulled the bumper and headlights because I need to re-bake them and re-seal them better anyway. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK here's the update :(

I baked the one headlight and re-sealed it...I think it should be good now...we'll see. I swapped bulbs and I have concluded that my ballast is fried :(

This is a good lesson for anyone who has moisture in their headlights. FIX IT NOW! I was just told 2 weeks ago by Nigellll to fix it or I'd have a bad ballast like Mike (Altezza_Maniac)...sure enough I waited and now I need to get a new ballast. Anyone have one that they'd like to donate? :bigSmile:

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I suggest getting new headlights
it leaked once, it will leak again

The more times you open the headlight, the bigger the gap u have; then u r more likely to still leak

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest getting new headlights
it leaked once, it will leak again

The more times you open the headlight, the bigger the gap u have; then u r more likely to still leak
:( Yeah...I know...

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
typically but not the case with me. I got my tails back from mmsport and they leaked after six months. so i opened them and sealed them myself this time around the they are holding up much better. I re applied more silicone and automotie sealer. If you reuse the adhesie then yes it can most likely get worse. so i replaced it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts