Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have my cars front end all on my garage floor. i have searched and read and printed out 8 millon things.. but my question is on a 2001is is the headlight attatched to the fenders or something? because they wont pop out in that area... its the only part i cant get loose.. eeeer..

thanks for the help.. if anyone else has had this problem..

jamie

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
you need to unbolt it from the side fender allll the way up there. The only way i was able to do that, was take the side fender off and remove the two nuts holding it on.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
just pull the wheel well liner away and you can reach up to get to the 2 10mm nuts. you may need a short extension to reach them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. i thought the two bolts in the picture, were the two lower bolts. i did have to unscrew most of my fender to get the lights out.. woo that was tough.. thank goodness i didnt try to just pull them out... ah. so.. im in the process of fixing up my first car ever.. so wish me luck. im gonna do the lights black this week and my new wheels come in tomorrow. 19in black. i have a black onyx is. so hopefully i can make it look dope.. plus i need to get a front and rear bumper.. lots of work ahead.. if i can do this stuff right than anyone can. cause all i know how to do is design clothes and paint...

thanks for the help!!

jamie

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
2001 Black Onyx owners UNIIIIIIIITE! Yeah taking of the heads is a pain in the arse.

+rep for a DIY Onyx owner

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well to update you guys.. i suck. i think i killed one of the headlights... i cant seem to get the damn thing out.. it is packed in with silicone. i put them in the oven twice. around the side where the silicone is packed in looks like death.. so i think i might buy a pair of the stock lights and try some more with the other one... but i dont know... i feel i am doing more damage than good.. but i like DIY.. so...ah.. any suggestions?

jamie

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
is the silicone clear or grey? if it's grey just heat it up at about 250 for about 8 mins, then get a flathead screwdriver and slide it along the cracks to separate the headlights from the inner corner, and pull apart TOWARDS the outer sides (where the turn signals are). i found this easiest to get them separated. the grey stuff will stick to both sides, just "slice" it apart and apply firm constant pressure, just not too hard to crack the plastic.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts