Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently not even the chief tech out at the local dealership knows what each of the 2 headlight aiming nobs does. We all know that when you move them together they aim the headlights up or down..

But what does each specifically adjust ? More precisely, if you DON'T move them the same amount, what does that do to the headlight ?

I'm hoping that someone here knows the answer.

· Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
absoluteis300 said:
Apparently not even the chief tech out at the local dealership knows what each of the 2 headlight aiming nobs does. We all know that when you move them together they aim the headlights up or down..

But what does each specifically adjust ? More precisely, if you DON'T move them the same amount, what does that do to the headlight ?

I'm hoping that someone here knows the answer.
The adjustment screws move the default position of the reflector in the housing.

You have to move both because the reflectors are mounted on a square base and the 2 top adjustment screws are on the top two corners. Adjusting one doesn't work. You have to adjust two.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ! Thats what I thought.. So basically if you adjust one and not the other you end up torquing the housing.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about approximate turns of the dials in order to move the headlight a bit ?

· Podiatrist
22,491 Posts
absoluteis300 said:
What about approximate turns of the dials in order to move the headlight a bit ?
Put it up against a wall. Make sure the car is level. You'll see it raise up.

· Registered
5,851 Posts
the inner screw adjusts the highbeams. the outside screw adjusts the lowbeams. i found out through experimentation.

· Registered
543 Posts
The adjustment screws move the default position of the reflector in the housing.

You have to move both because the reflectors are mounted on a square base and the 2 top adjustment screws are on the top two corners. Adjusting one doesn't work. You have to adjust two.
There is some conflicting information here. Why does the service manual say there is only 1 screw for vertical adjustment and the other is for horizontal adjustment. Whereas the owners manual procedure say to adjust both screws consistent with what Sophie says. See attached.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Trust me, De is right.

I've used them often to line up the projector retrofit.

Kepp in mind, the adjuster between the high and low beam is linked to the high and low beam height. The adjuster just under the fender adjusts the low beam left or right (panning).

It won't torque the housing by just adjusting the panning. In fact, you won't screw up anything by adjusting the panning. Only when you adjust the height will you need to adjust both consistently.

· Registered
2,926 Posts
wat the heck did u just say in that post nick?

i recently adjusted my low beams, and only turned 1 thing. when you say that you have to adjust 2 things at the same time, do u mean that it doesnt adjust unless you do that? or its best if u do that.

i only adjusted a "knob" thing on the right, which moved the light up and down...did i do something wrong?

btw, is it weird that i have my rear sensor arm as low as it will go AND my headlights manually adjusted higher?

· Registered
543 Posts
Trust me, De is right.

I've used them often to line up the projector retrofit.

Kepp in mind, the adjuster between the high and low beam is linked to the high and low beam height. The adjuster just under the fender adjusts the low beam left or right (panning).

It won't torque the housing by just adjusting the panning. In fact, you won't screw up anything by adjusting the panning. Only when you adjust the height will you need to adjust both consistently.
Once more Inspar. Who is right? Low beam Up and down is 2 screws or 1 screw? I understand what you said about the high beam and low beam being linked. I removed the link so now I have independent high/low beam adjustment. My low beam is too low. Do I only adjust one screw? The one by the fender is only for left and right? Thanks for clarifying

· Registered
2,926 Posts
wait wait, the beams are linked? i never removed a link and it doesnt seem to be moving both. anyways, the one to move the low beam up and down is the one more torwards the fender when you are looking in the engine.

u cant really see the screw for the horizontal.

· Registered
1 Posts
Can someone please help me. I adjusted the only visible knob that adjusts vertically, but i was trying to find the horizontal adjustment knob as well, i have a dead spot of light, right where my eyes tend to focus at night. Do i need to remove something to see it? Could someone please post a picture of the horizontal adjustment knob?
EDIT: Shoot, am i in the wrong thread? Im trying to adjust lights on my 2016 IS

6,078 Posts
Can someone please help me. I adjusted the only visible knob that adjusts vertically, but i was trying to find the horizontal adjustment knob as well, i have a dead spot of light, right where my eyes tend to focus at night. Do i need to remove something to see it? Could someone please post a picture of the horizontal adjustment knob?
EDIT: Shoot, am i in the wrong thread? Im trying to adjust lights on my 2016 IS
First this is for 2001 to 2005. Try making your own thread in the right section or searching a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts