Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been looking into getting a turbo kit for quite a while, and no decisions yet, but one thing I know is--Whatever kit I get, it's going to require a headgasket spacer for higher boost. I know anyone with decent mechanical experience can install a regular bolt-on turbo kit. The only thing that would be a little intensive is the headgasket install. So can anyone make a picture intensive step by step instruction guide on how to do this properly? Is any shop planning on showing detailed instructions on how to do this? Maybe not because they want to get the extra cash to install..............I can understand that.

I for one, would donate a little cash towards someone who is a competent mechanic to make a detailed instruction guide. This way, DIY's can save a little cash and it would definitely make things easier on anyone who doesn't live near any of these shops(like me). Any mechanics want to volunteer to make this pic-by-pic, step-by-step instruction guide? Anyone else see a need for this and willing to pay for a video or something? If there's enough need, someone will do it. Let's do this!

p.s.-even one of the tuning shops could make this video..I say someone's gonna do it eventually anyway, why not be the first one to come out with the instructional video's? Jump on an oppurtunity.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
repair manual may have it ill look.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
Sentinel said:
it better have it...specially for the price they charge for that thing...sheesh... :p

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
hahha youd think but the manual is maid out of low grade paper with shitty hand drawings haha.

HyperMKIV said:
Sentinel said:
it better have it...specially for the price they charge for that thing...sheesh... :p

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lemme know.....Thanks! Austin

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
step 1 - unbolt head from car
step 2 - place new headgasket in place of old headgasket
step 3 - bolt head back on car
step 4 - marvel at your work

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
IS300GTE said:
Your such a smart ass :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
strangely is basically just that. might be an unbolt a rebolt order though.

Aubie83 said:
IS300GTE said:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew GTE would probably post something to that order.........

I believe I can do it with the right tools and mechanical minded family and friends. I don't care how long it takes me, I just want to do it right. Any pointers I should know about GTE? Throw me some info!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
GTE, sounds like a piece of cake. I'm sure you wouldnt mind helping out a fellow .net marylander do this, with full access to a shop and all the necessary tools- right? 8) Anyways I hope to do this very very soon but jus a little weary of doing soo, soo anyone who has please chime in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sentinel said:
strangely is basically just that. might be an unbolt a rebolt order though.

Aubie83 said:
IS300GTE said:
and how much torque for the head bolts.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
get the torque specs, unbolt order. The head bolts use hex keys? i forget. and of course youll have to set the timing.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I'll be up and you can do mine this weekend then. ;)

IS300GTE said:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Isn't it a good 4-6 hour job to do this properly?

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
btw don't let dirt or any other crap get into the engine while you're at it.. haha.. but actually i do believe there is a specific order for the bolts to be put on..

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
good question on my old car it took far longer buts its FWD.

turbo97se said:
Isn't it a good 4-6 hour job to do this properly?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i would bet it would take longer on a first time

its a pain in the ass to get to the bolts under the intake manifold and get all of that crap out of the way and unbolted

one of the trickiest things is setting the timing up correctly, if it isn't done properly, valves can hit pistons

-gte

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so what do you need to set the timing correctly? Any special tools? Any manuals to let you know how to do it correctly?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Agreed, the first time you do anything it will be slow. By timing, I am guessing that you are referring to finding TDC on number 1? Normally there are markings on the exhaust and intake camshafts that need to be lined up as well as a mark on the Crank itself (this is for the purposes of other people not you GTE). Yes this certainly is one of the most critical things about removing and replacing the head ... but this applies to most cars. Bent valves would not be fun! Too bad we don't have the same non-interference set up as the 3S-GTE, but then again that was designed by Yamaha

All the steps should be stated in the service manual. The service manuals from Toyota are by far the best that I have seen from most car manufacturers and they are kept updated with errata sheets etc ... expensive but very worth it!

IS300GTE said:
i would bet it would take longer on a first time

its a pain in the ass to get to the bolts under the intake manifold and get all of that crap out of the way and unbolted

one of the trickiest things is setting the timing up correctly, if it isn't done properly, valves can hit pistons

-gte

1 - 20 of 21 Posts