Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in san antonio tx, and i want to put header intake and exhaust.
If i get headers will i lose my cats cause i need them for state inspection.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
yes, with headers, you lose your cats.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
That's right, there's two in the stock header and one more in the Y.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you know if i will be able to pass inspection or should i get some high flow cats or maybe just pay off mr jiffy lube

·
13,727 Posts
Dont get hi flow cats AND pay off mr. jiffy lube. Either that or keep the stock y pipe, because it contains one cat. And one cat is better than no cats, unless you are a dog person.

·
Registered
594 Posts
exhaust is your own opinion, listen to a bunch of em and choose, headers are depending what you want shorty headers=low end-mid range torque. long like the MAZZURI which would be your best bet would be high end but give you the most power. SRT Intake is the best out of them all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
hmm so if u replace the y pipe with some think elese will u get a CEL?
if the other y-pipe that you get doesnt have that plugin for the o2 sensor you will probably get a cel, but it wont be anything major. If you look through sophie sleeps wiring diagrams. she has a picture of the ecu where you take the wire thats connected to the sensor in the cat and tap it into a working sensor. If you do that, then you shouldnt get a CEL. I've gone through all this after i put on my mazzuri headers, lol. but if you need a cat to pass inspection, and your thinking about the mazzuri headers, you'd have to get a cat installed. let us know if you need more help.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
^^or just have a bung welded into the y-pipe if there isn't one.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeah, what bbatl said too. if your not confident enough to mess with your ecu, i would suggest the o2 bung.

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks guys i appreciate the help, if i get the srt intake with the ecu will that ecu adapt to new headers and other mods as well
The answer is yes. The piggy back ecu will adapt. Ok heres the easiest and safe (by law) to get good horsepower with a state with inspections. First get an intake that is CARB legal Ie AEM. Get a Megan y-pipe (because it has a O2 bung and no inspector will look under your car to see if you have a stock y-pipe). Then choose the exhaust you want. The deepest and coolest ones to me are HKS Carbon Ti or HKS Hi-power. Swap all that out with the stock ones and it will pass testings. Oh you won't have a cell either due to the fact the y-pipes bung is an after cat. If you want to take a risk get the SRT intake and see if the inspector looks for a CARB sticker if not your cool. It will also pass with the SRT too but only if the inspector over looks the fact that the intake doesn't have a CARB sticker on it. Have fun. Peace.

P.S. Yes you use the stock manifold

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
well yeah the y-pipe i ordered has a bung in it i just didnt know if it was post cat or not. i just never really paid any attention and that o2 sensor is nothing major. i think all it does is moniter the effecientcy of the first cats

·
Registered
650 Posts
exhaust is your own opinion, listen to a bunch of em and choose, headers are depending what you want shorty headers=low end-mid range torque. long like the MAZZURI which would be your best bet would be high end but give you the most power. SRT Intake is the best out of them all.
LMFAO! this had nothing to do with what he asked. i was so lost after i read this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts