Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont want something too loud so im just wondering those of you w/ stock exhuast, aftermarket headers and y-pipe is it loud at normal driving (below 3,000rpms) ? i heard that the sound is just a little louder than stock when driving normally, and at WOT its a different story.
i know that the stock exhuast will be a bottleneck for the headers and pipe, but i can sacrifice a couple ponies for sound.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I've asked knowledable people this question myself, and the answer was always this: Leave the stock header. Do an aftermarket racepipe and catback exahust. It turns out the stock exhaust is VERY restrictive. Anyone have an aftermarket header with stock catback?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you are not getting a s/c, then just keep the stock exhaust manifold, get a race pipe, keep the stock resonator, and get an axle back exhaust. The stock exhaust manifold is restrictive, but for the loudness and hassle of O2 sims for a header, just keep it stock. If I had a s/c, I would get a header and y pipe, keep the stock resonator, and get the L tuned exhaust--best gains/minimal loudness combo.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
or get a baffle for the exhaust....i mean a silencer for the exhaust...if you decide to get something else.....(N1, hiper)

or get a apex'i WS....cheaper then L-tuned, L-sportline

·
1,717 Posts
you will definatley notice the difference in power I just put the stock cat back , back on my car for a project that is in the works. the noise level is not bad at all but if you are looking to do it I would say it would be a waste of money. you are better off getting a race pipe and cat back you will get better power and the sound will be about the same.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
stick said:
If you are not getting a s/c, then just keep the stock exhaust manifold, get a race pipe, keep the stock resonator, and get an axle back exhaust. The stock exhaust manifold is restrictive, but for the loudness and hassle of O2 sims for a header, just keep it stock. If I had a s/c, I would get a header and y pipe, keep the stock resonator, and get the L tuned exhaust--best gains/minimal loudness combo.
I disagree.
Your EGTs are HIGH with the stock header.
There is a reason IS_Dude and hottie was running a toyomoto header.

Right now I can't do any 4th gear pulls. It get's too hot.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I had header and y-pipe combo with stock exhaust for a while and it was quiet, except for WOT. Pretty good gains tho. Now I added the Greddy EVO so I'm running full aftermarket from manifold to muffler, and I love the sound, but its loud as phock. If I had to do it over again I would go with the stock exhaust manifold and y-pipe and exhaust aftermarket. Probably help tone the noise down a little and still keep the CEL problems away as well.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have the GReddy also, and want to add just a mid-pipe, NO HEADER. Any idea how much louder just the pipe would make it? It's already one of the louder ones. A little louder. Or a ton. I just don't want that nasty freeway-cruising headache-giving DRONE. Anyone run this combo??

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
the racepipe and exhaust won't be too much difference from just exhaust

the header and a exhuast will be loud,rumbly, but also more powerful

get the racepipe and exhaust

with a non-force-inducted set-up:
wouldn't you want higher EGT's, since the air will move faster when hotter.....not hotter in the engine may....if the manifold was sheilded from the engine bay properly?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
goldark said:
stick said:
I disagree.
Your EGTs are HIGH with the stock header.
There is a reason IS_Dude and hottie was running a toyomoto header.

Right now I can't do any 4th gear pulls. It get's too hot.

You didn't read my last sentence!!! The first part is what I would do without a s/c. The LAST sentence is what I would do WITH a s/c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.