Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there people. probably some of u owns Megan or T-Pro Headers out there. i actually want the alphawerk or toyomoto, but it always a combo kit or comes with racepipe. so now im a lil bit picky, Megan and T-pro seem has the same look and shape except they only comes bare headers no o2 Sim (don't care the o2 sim really, i can get one from our man Jeff at TE which he already emailed back for compatibility on my 05' IS300). also, the cost is diff from the other, Megan is a bit expensive when buying at ebay.

so im thinking, could Megan Headers have better craftmanship maybe compare to T-Pro? i need a serious feedback of this thread from all IS300 members. i wanna know the cons/pros. thanks~!

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
the meghan racing headers are a little different. the rear o2 sensro hoel is drilled incorrectly on most of their headers(not made for us spec is300).....you need to plug and weld the hole shut, and redrill/retap a new hole that can accomodate the o2 sensor in the rear(against firewall, i forget which bank it is)...i went thru a difficult exoperience when i did an install for someone with theis header. it was totalyl frustratign until i realized the problem.

i personally have the TE header myself, and use their racepipe also. impressive quality. and a lot quieter than other headers, and the install was easier due to the size(shorter runners)

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
mikefate said:
the meghan racing headers are a little different. the rear o2 sensro hoel is drilled incorrectly on most of their headers(not made for us spec is300).....you need to plug and weld the hole shut, and redrill/retap a new hole that can accomodate the o2 sensor in the rear(against firewall, i forget which bank it is)...i went thru a difficult exoperience when i did an install for someone with theis header. it was totalyl frustratign until i realized the problem.

i personally have the TE header myself, and use their racepipe also. impressive quality. and a lot quieter than other headers, and the install was easier due to the size(shorter runners)
Ehmmm wrong info there for the Megan header. Got any proof for that?? I have a set of the megan Header and they are an exact knockoff of the Toyomoto one. The fit is just as good as stock even though I heard a first batch of them had issues (some time back), but it fit into my car with no problems and came back out even easier.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
kponti said:
Ehmmm wrong info there for the Megan header. Got any proof for that?? I have a set of the megan Header and they are an exact knockoff of the Toyomoto one. The fit is just as good as stock even though I heard a first batch of them had issues (some time back), but it fit into my car with no problems and came back out even easier.

i dont think this is the issue with all megan racing headers, the guy had bought them from a place that had them shipped here from japan. so im guessing they were not for us spec cars...maybe designs for the euro or somethign else. i just know it was a real pain the get the y pipe to line up the the header flushly, and then the rear o2 sensor had to be redrilled as the original hole positioned the o2 sim to close to the firewall. i can see if they guy ever took pics.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
mikefate said:
i dont think this is the issue with all megan racing headers, the guy had bought them from a place that had them shipped here from japan. so im guessing they were not for us spec cars...maybe designs for the euro or somethign else. i just know it was a real pain the get the y pipe to line up the the header flushly, and then the rear o2 sensor had to be redrilled as the original hole positioned the o2 sim to close to the firewall. i can see if they guy ever took pics.

Toyomoto/Alphawerks, OBX/TE, and Megan all have their products manufactured overseas and shipped here. Just because they came off a container ship doesn't mean they're JDM spec.

It's much cheaper than manufacturing in the US... but very prone to ppl ripping off your design/product from the same mold or factory. Not a lot of honesty over there amongst plant operators I suppose, and not much you can legally do with them if they steal your designs.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
^ thats becuase they dont have patents in asian countries. no patent, you cna ripoff whoever you want, whatever you want and make money off it.

when the guy contacted megan directly, they told him it was NOt for the US spec is300.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
mikefate said:
^ thats becuase they dont have patents in asian countries. no patent, you cna ripoff whoever you want, whatever you want and make money off it.

when the guy contacted megan directly, they told him it was NOt for the US spec is300.

So perhaps the "bad" batch of Megan headers which had bungs welded in the wrong place weren't "bad" afterall... they were just not for US IS300's...

Or, megan could just be saying that to cover up a manufacturing flaw.

Either way you'd think it would be their (or the seller's) fault... unless the buyer was specifically told they were "JDM" headers which would NOT fit the US IS300

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Ahh if that's not another rip off I don't know what is. Eesh.
Actually das, that IS the Megan header. Look at the part number from that ebay listing, and look at the part number from the Megan header. It is one and the same. he just sells them at different prices by advertising one as Megan and the other as...whatever he calls them. I bought that one in that post thinking I was going to get a knock off, I wasnt too worried cos I was going to cut and hack it anyway. I payed 135 for it and got the Megan header (stamped and all) for it. I looked up the part numbers and found them to be the same.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Kick ass. But why would one sell the same thing for less money, and still list the said item differently for more money? Makes no sense.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
kponti said:
Actually das, that IS the Megan header. Look at the part number from that ebay listing, and look at the part number from the Megan header. It is one and the same. he just sells them at different prices by advertising one as Megan and the other as...whatever he calls them. I bought that one in that post thinking I was going to get a knock off, I wasnt too worried cos I was going to cut and hack it anyway. I payed 135 for it and got the Megan header (stamped and all) for it. I looked up the part numbers and found them to be the same.

Haha nice... I knew they looked damn similar. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts