Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I am undoubtedly opening myself up to some of that Newbie criticism everone's been talking about :(

Here goes

So I have a SportX. Every chance I get I put some work into it. Tuning is totally new to me so, this is my first car, many opportunities for mistakes. So, I got some headers. They said they were Toyomoto, turns out they were HP racing. I had them installed. Beautiful addition of course. Performance and sound changed instantly. After two weeks of racing around like a madman the check engine light went on. I went to the dealership they said it would be fine and not to worry, probably some stray dirt or oil had covered up the O2 sensor. So after driving around with the check engine light lit for a bout two months I dropped the car off at the dealership for it's 10,000 mile checkup. The service guy tells me since I have no more catalytic the o2 sensor is misreading and my car has been running rich this entire time. He also says it could have cause engine damage :pissed:

F*ck :whine:

So, what I want to know is how can I fix it. First of all how much carbon buildup could have occurred in two months, meaning how much damage? Second, what's the quickest way to fixit? I assume I need an AFC of some sort. Plus, does anyone know a decent shop in the Bay area I can do it with. Unfortunately I have been dropping into random garages over the past couple months and I think this might be a side effect of not fully researching mods and the people I hire to do it. Also, can I reverse any of this alleged engine damage? Anyway, thanks for your help, please avoid flaming me for NOOB mistakes.

Peace

·
Registered
555 Posts
It is hard to understand how a Lexus service tech would tell you a CEL was ok along having no cats?

You would have to be running extermly rich to have damaged the engine. I kind of doubt you have hurt anything. The cats are the parts that tend to suffer from a rich mixture but since you don't have any then you haven't hurt anything?

If you are worried, check and clean the spark plugs, change the oil, and run 2 or 3 tanks of gas with gas that has a lot of detergents to clean the injectors like Chevron Supreme or Texico. You can also just dump in some injector cleaner since you don't have any cats (some of the cleaners have some fine print saying they aren't the best thing for the cats).

An AFC should help you lean things out. You might also check out Xerd and see if their O2 simulator would work with your header.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts