Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an alphawerks header and stock y-pipe and i just wanted to know what gasket to use to replace the on inbetween the header and y-pipe.

i read that it has to be replaced often and doubling up the gasket seals it better. are these true?

also, i read that i can take the cats off the oem y-pipe and bolt it on the aftermarket y-pipe. is that possible and how much would that cost?

thanks for the help!

isaac:)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ok, so u have the alphawerks header with stock y pipe.
I would use the OEM gaskets but might not seal that great.
you can also use the OBX gasket on the alpha because they have the same flange. but do not use the megan gaskets.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
i have an alphawerks header and stock y-pipe and i just wanted to know what gasket to use to replace the on inbetween the header and y-pipe.

i read that it has to be replaced often and doubling up the gasket seals it better. are these true?

also, i read that i can take the cats off the oem y-pipe and bolt it on the aftermarket y-pipe. is that possible and how much would that cost?

thanks for the help!

your alphawerks header takes a flat flange gasket.
your stock y-pipe takes a "o-ring" gasket.

^^^this is why they leak but the stock "o-ring" gasket can give you an ok seal. now as far as cats going on an aftermarket y-pipe... i guess you can do that by welding them on but why would you want to do that? just use the stock y-pipe and figure out how to stop the leak it's much easier and cost less

edit heres a useful link...

http://my.is/forums/f88/new-improved-gasket-header-y-pipe-341921/

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
contact Nless_dream (*sp) either here or on isfanatics.com, he's getting some really nice aftermarket gaskets :approve:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
your alphawerks header takes a flat flange gasket.
your stock y-pipe takes a "o-ring" gasket.

^^^this is why they leak but the stock "o-ring" gasket can give you an ok seal. now as far as cats going on an aftermarket y-pipe... i guess you can do that by welding them on but why would you want to do that? just use the stock y-pipe and figure out how to stop the leak it's much easier and cost less

edit heres a useful link...

http://my.is/forums/f88/new-improved-gasket-header-y-pipe-341921/
the stock o-ring gasket will not seal that great with alpha header and y. I don't think the alpha header has a groove around the header outlet to take and seat the OEM gasket. alpha headers has the same diameter as OBX. I am getting OBX and megan style gaskets coming in soon and will need someone to test out the OBX gasket.The megan gasket that i have will be made the same but in OBX design.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Until you find a good gasket, you can use high temp RTV gasket maker; it has worked for me but prob will not last forever in this application. Good to get the car on the road.
http://my.is/forums/f88/obx-short-runner-header-installed-w-pics-346287/

As has been said, you could cut your stock cat out of the stock Y and weld it into the after market Y but that does not make any real advantage and is a pain in the ass.

nless_dream: if this is a gasket for use with stock Y, I would be willing to test it for you - hit me up (EDIT: sent you a PM)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Until you find a good gasket, you can use high temp RTV gasket maker; it has worked for me but prob will not last forever in this application. Good to get the car on the road.

As has been said, you could cut your stock cat out of the stock Y and weld it into the after market Y but that does not make any real advantage and is a pain in the ass.

nless_dream: if this is a gasket for use with stock Y, I would be willing to test it for you - hit me up (EDIT: sent you a PM)
pm replied. the only thing i know that will work is if you use OEM O-rings with the stock y-pipe and my gasket on the obx header. i would think it would seal better because the stock y-pipe has a groove where you can seat the OEM o-rings and use my gasket to seal it more on the flat flange on the OBX header.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

that RTV won't hold for long due to the heat and also it makes a mess when removing it lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
pm replied. the only thing i know that will work is if you use OEM O-rings with the stock y-pipe and my gasket on the obx header. i would think it would seal better because the stock y-pipe has a groove where you can seat the OEM o-rings and use my gasket to seal it more on the flat flange on the OBX header.
Sounds good :approve: let me know when you get them in and I will test it out and let everybody know how it works!

·
Registered
04 IS300 automatic
20 Posts

thanks for the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts