Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i'd like to know this as well--

i've HEARD that wraping your header can cause the heat to crack the pipe, but then why would it work for other cars and not ours??

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think that a heat shield would probably be a better choice...my girlfried has that stuff on her CL type S doesnt work so good...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
MSM MT IS300 said:

i've HEARD that wraping your header can cause the heat to crack the pipe, but then why would it work for other cars and not ours??

You shouldn't wrap your stock header--it should be an aftermarket header without the cats. Not all cars have cats in their headers, but the header should be SS with no cats. Some turbo companies wrap their downpipes, I think Toyomoto does this (but I'm not positive).

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
so u can wrap stainless steel?

·
Registered
932 Posts
My friend wrapped his SS header on a B20 motor before. We decided to take it off to see how it is. Alot of the fiberglass from the wrap melted onto the pipes and did not see any signs of cracking.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
stick said:
MSM MT IS300 said:

You shouldn't wrap your stock header--it should be an aftermarket header without the cats. Not all cars have cats in their headers, but the header should be SS with no cats. Some turbo companies wrap their downpipes, I think Toyomoto does this (but I'm not positive).
if it's stock...you call it an exhaust manifold...not a header...just an FYI...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wrapped my downpipe with heat wrap because its like 1/8" away from a coolant hose. The coolant hose is happy and cool - and you can touch the heatwrap.

Its good stuff however not aesthetically pleasing - if you plan on popping your hood alot you should get a heat shield.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts