Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an estimate from the best tuning shop in my area and they told me that it would take about 7 hours to intall my toyomoto headers. I know the headers are a bitch to install, but is 7 hours a rip off ($70/hr)? Let me know if you guys had any experience with the time frame of the installation of headers (not nec. toyomotos). Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
that seems a bit high from what even shady tree mechanics are being able to do it at their houses




BassMan097 said:
I got an estimate from the best tuning shop in my area and they told me that it would take about 7 hours to intall my toyomoto headers. I know the headers are a bitch to install, but is 7 hours a rip off ($70/hr)? Let me know if you guys had any experience with the time frame of the installation of headers (not nec. toyomotos). Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,506 Posts
Do it yourself man. I did mine with one other person in 2.5 hours!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DENVER_IS300 said:
Do it yourself man. I did mine with one other person in 2.5 hours!
Did you use a lift or just jacks? Was there difficulty with the O2 sensors/simulators?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
Yeah man, thats what i thought. Here are their other estimates for the mods i wanted them to do:

Headers: 7 hours
Suspension swap (replace shocks/springs): 5 hours
AFC install and dyno tune:5 hours
pulleys: 2.5 hours

Is this insane or what??? AND, they want over $70/hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,661 Posts
BassMan097 said:
2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
Yeah man, thats what i thought. Here are their other estimates for the mods i wanted them to do:

Headers: 7 hours
Suspension swap (replace shocks/springs): 5 hours
AFC install and dyno tune:5 hours
pulleys: 2.5 hours

Is this insane or what??? AND, they want over $70/hour.
Holy shit :eek: ...my advice is to find a new shop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lil' IS 300 said:
BassMan097 said:
2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
Yeah man, thats what i thought. Here are their other estimates for the mods i wanted them to do:

Headers: 7 hours
Suspension swap (replace shocks/springs): 5 hours
AFC install and dyno tune:5 hours
pulleys: 2.5 hours

Is this insane or what??? AND, they want over $70/hour.
Holy shit :eek: ...my advice is to find a new shop!

Well, they are very very good...im gonna go there on friday and tell them i know they're full of shit, and if they dont budge, i'll find a new shop, cus these prices are nuts...I mean, even if they dont rip me off, its still about a grand or more in business for them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
BassMan.....Let me know what shop it is through PM..I have a idea who it is....Still insane pricing but INCREDIBLE work....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
STOCK.....
.......It comes with the T-70 and the 6-Speed right ?....
TOYOMOTO Built & Tuned
MODERATOR
"I'm so far ahead of my time, I'm bout to start another life
Look behind you, I'm bout to pass you twice"......S.C.
 

·
Threadlocker
Joined
·
8,984 Posts
not to be a downer, but if you go there and tell them you think they're ripping you off, even if they lower the prices, they will probably not do as good a job as they can...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
7 hours for which car/motor?

-gte




2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IS300GTE said:
7 hours for which car/motor?

-gte




2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
Stock IS 300 Engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
BassMan097 said:
lil' IS 300 said:
BassMan097 said:
2JZ-GTE-Boostin said:
That is just insane, it shouldn't take a shop over an hour to do it. 2 hours TOPS.

It doesn't even take 7 hours to pull an engine, transmission and entire exhaust.
Yeah man, thats what i thought. Here are their other estimates for the mods i wanted them to do:

Headers: 7 hours
Suspension swap (replace shocks/springs): 5 hours
AFC install and dyno tune:5 hours
pulleys: 2.5 hours

Is this insane or what??? AND, they want over $70/hour.
Holy shit :eek: ...my advice is to find a new shop!

Well, they are very very good...im gonna go there on friday and tell them i know they're full of shit, and if they dont budge, i'll find a new shop, cus these prices are nuts...I mean, even if they dont rip me off, its still about a grand or more in business for them...
Hey BassMan.. While you're at it, go spend a couple hundred bucks on an oil change... If you're anywhere in SoKali I'll do it for you for a straight hundred bucks... it shouldn't take me more then 3 hours or so...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
ZaKapitan
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top