Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install the toyomoto header, but I want know what I'll get into prior to being under the car saying oh f*ck. I read that the exhaust manifold just drops right out, but recall people having all sorts of problems and had to remove it from the top.

I've looked at it when I was installing the xerd racepipe and rec
all it being really snug up there. Could anyone give some advice on this?

Or better yet, does anyone in the San Francisco bay area know of a shop that's willing to perform the install?

Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The header comes out from the top, also dont forget to remove the ground the engine has on the bottom next to the header. And retorque your header bolts and check them for a couple of days.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have cash on hand, if you break on o2 sensor be prepared to pay about $200 per sensor you break. I busted one and it sucked, thank god for Lexus free towing w/ no questions asked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's some tips:

1) To remove O2 sensors, use plenty of Liquid Wrench. A Lexus tech told me that the secret to removing them was to tighten a 1/4 turn before removing. I wish I'd known that before I destroyed two of them trying to get them out.

2) When pulling stock manifold out, be careful you don't cut any heater hoses. It was kinda tricky removing it out of the engine bay.

3) Check your alignment on the header flanges before installing. Mine weren't welded straight so I had to remove a couple of the threaded posts from the engine block before I could mount the header. After it's on, you can reinstall the posts with no problem.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
go buy some PB blaster, that stuff will make the install 100 time easier. I just pb blasted the sensors and they came out quite easily. Also, if you are removing the headers from the top it's best to have a friend underneath to guide the header out. The trick is to match the header with one of the grooves in the tranny. twist and your free. You will know what i'm talking about when u are removing the header, it's hard but just remember to match the groove through the tranny.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Shiznit said:
go buy some PB blaster, that stuff will make the install 100 time easier. I just pb blasted the sensors and they came out quite easily. Also, if you are removing the headers from the top it's best to have a friend underneath to guide the header out. The trick is to match the header with one of the grooves in the tranny. twist and your free. You will know what i'm talking about when u are removing the header, it's hard but just remember to match the groove through the tranny.
that just about sums it up soak the sensors the day before and they will come out super easy, depending on how bad the three bolts are were the header meets the race pipe you may want soak them too. I had to cut them off my 01'. If you need help with the o2 sim just give me a PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts