Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got hit by a drunk driver in Houston last night. My girlfriend was in the front seat the air bags did not go off???? WTF we both walked away.....not sure how that happpened. From what I was able to tell there is not any frame damage, but I will need a new hood, bumper, grill, and posible lights. The IS has seen better days. Anyone know of a good shop in the Houston Area. Thought abotu taking it to Sterling McCall....I would like to put a 2002 grill on the car, along with a L-Sportline front bumper. Anyone know what the price compairision is to the stock? How fast can I get one? I want to take advantage of this and possible put some aftermarket stuff on, maybe even a fiberglass hood. Anyone with any info is appreciated.
Sean.

·
2,909 Posts
At least you're both alive! Start talking to a lawyer about those airbags ASAP. That sounds like a concern Lexus needs to know about. What speeds were both of you driving?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident, but glad to know your all OK.. You should deffinitly take full advantage of the parts that broke and get aftermarket ones. I saw the 02 grill yesterday at the dealership, and it looks so much better then ours. Sorry i cant help you on exact price on stock vs aftermarket prices but im pretty sure it will be cheaper then stock if you go aftermarket bumper, hood, (dont know about lights). Well i hope all goes well and tell us what you end up doing and possibly some pics.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hey Texis, what time and where exactly was your accident? I was cruising late at night also and around 1:30am I believe there was this huge 8 car accident at 610/westheimer. My friend thinks it looked like some guy made a last second decision to stop at the yellow light and everyone else behind him decided to try and run it...but ended up in that huge pile up.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
About the bodyshop, I highly recommend Westside Lexus bodyshop simply because the shop is located onsite there. At Sterling McCall, they send your car out to some other place several miles out... I think like on Harwin or something. Plus Westside did a great job on my car when it got funked up.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am towong my car to Westside this morning. Trying to work a deal to get my s hit fixed. any help?

·
Registered
397 Posts
You know you are hardcore when you talk about getting new body mods. on your car the day after a head on collision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wife wrecked my IS about two months back while I was out of town. No pictures, I don't think I could relive the horror. Similar to your experience, the airbags did not go off. She rear-ended a pickup truck,
old F150 with steel bumpers. Did nothing
to the truck... Fvcked the IS in a big way,
with a 10-15mph impact -- from a stop to
accelerating from second position at a stoplight thinking the person ahead of you
just went (that's what you get for looking
down at the CD, honey).

So, here's the damage (all fixed and pretty
now, as good as new):

cover 221.65
grille 145.38
h/l 1,171.72
h/l 1,171.72
hood 432.80
label 1.27
lock 54.08
label 2.21
supt 233.15
lab .89 (that broke the bank)
rad 340.00
shr 118.04
cond 487.44
tube 134.96
reinf 299.23
reinf 24.87
reinf 24.87
reinf 3.83
suppt 33.92
ribb belt 37.15
air box 295.66
RESERVOIS 171.68
Discount 220.62-

Total Parts 5,185.90
Body Labor 1,094.80
Paint Labor 527.00
Frame Labor 125.00
Mechanic Labor 264.00
Paint Material 341.00
Sublet Repairs 3.50
Towing 45.00
Detailing 15.00 (WTF-You didn't get enough already?)
Sales Tax 363.01

Total 7,964.21
Deductible 250.00
USAA Covered 7,714.21
Ins. Prem. Incr. -- Who knows?

A very expensive way to get the paint chips
out of the hood. Wish I would have thought
of the aftermarket options. Nice way to fix
up the car at a "low cost".

While the repairs were not done by Lexus
(no dealers with bodyshops in Atlanta),
USAA recommended a luxury car repair shop
at which all work would be warranteed for the
life of the vehicle. Not bad. Took three
weeks for repairs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
donerb, luckily the insurance picks up the bulk of that kind of thing. But the headlights aren't actually that expensive. Unless more than just the housing was damaged. The reason they are expensive is the control unit. This is what adjusts the level of the headlights and produces the power for the HID. The housing itself is something like $300. I know cause I had to replace mine. The control unit can be attached to the new headlight housing.

If the control unit was damaged, then ignore what I just said.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
yeah, my airbags didnt go off either. although i was rear ended by a lady going about 40 mph, i ran right into the back of the lady in front of me. i hit her hard enough so that the front got all messed up. i think the bags shouldve deployed but they didnt. i wonder if this is a bad thing on the IS's? seems to be that nobodies airbags are deploying...

·
Registered
7 Posts
About the airbags not going off:

I've had that happen to me twice @ 30mph in a Cherokee and a Civic.

You can't take legal action if you don't have any injuries as a result of the airbag not going off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as the L-Sportline front bumper vs. stok one, it's about $400 vs $221. I know I just had both of mine replaced after being hit. You'll have to kick in some cash of your own but getting the L-Sportline for $175 or so isn't so bad. Ater the insurance picked up their portion of the bill I ended up paying a bit over $600 for all the lower pieces, painted and installed! I can live with that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why the heck do you guys want the airbags to deploy in a relatively low speed impact? Don't you wear your seatbelts? You would be more likely to be injured by the airbag in a lowspeed crash than the crash itself. I for one think it is great if they don't go off unless there is a very high impact that would risk intrusion into the passenger compartment.

In fact, does anybody know if an airbag even helps a belted driver?

·
11,062 Posts
You'd probably want to take pictures, note the speed of impact (or what the police think it was) and submit an inquiry to Lexus to see if it was designed that way or if there really is a problem. They may not tell you...but if there's trouble you can bet they'll be tweaking the new cars coming off the line. You'd be doing a public service.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: SeattleSheila ]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
Why the heck do you guys want the airbags to deploy in a relatively low speed impact? Don't you wear your seatbelts? You would be more likely to be injured by the airbag in a lowspeed crash than the crash itself. I for one think it is great if they don't go off unless there is a very high impact that would risk intrusion into the passenger compartment.

In fact, does anybody know if an airbag even helps a belted driver?
Couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
829 Posts
As far as the airbags go it is possible at impact it didn't hit the sensors, it may have impacted above the bumper where they are mostly located.... Unfortunately that is how it works..... Not sure if that is the case with all of you that have had them not deploy but it is very possible.... This is with every car to not just the IS....

·
Registered
34 Posts
serch,
Actually from what I was told, the sensors are located by the strut towers. So if the impact did not come that far into the engine compartment, then there is no reason for the airbags to have deployed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
19 Participants
S38
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing