Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably a stupid question but if I bought a tt shortblock, would I still need a 2mm or 3mm head gasket. Also does the shortblock allow me to run more boost safely on pump gas or just race gas?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i have not cc'ed the IS bowls and the supra bowls, but compression will be lower. the supra has more dished pistons than the IS, as for actual compression, that cc will make a difference in final compression ratio. it should be close, and a stock IS gasket, or supra gasket with IS oil lines should be fine

-gte

·
Registered
874 Posts
I found this on suprastore.com:

"We are now selling brand new factory Toyota OEM shortblock engines (block,crank,pistons,rods, bearings). These are fully assembled and ready to go. This is a much better alternative than trying to rebuild your burned out motor and it will work perfectly in high HP applications as well. We are running many cars in the 800HP+ range on the factory Toyota shortblock."

From what they're saying it should hold a decent amount of hp.

IS3FINALLYmd said:
probably a stupid question but if I bought a tt shortblock, would I still need a 2mm or 3mm head gasket. Also does the shortblock allow me to run more boost safely on pump gas or just race gas?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am using the stock tt head gasket with the tt internals. That gasket with the low compression pistons drops the c/r to 8:5:1, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Your block will be stronger and will be able to withstand high boost but it wont make much of a difference on how much boost you can run on pump gas due to the burn characteristics of lower octane.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
that is kinda true and kinda not true.... since you are on lower compression you can run more boost on pump then on stock compression...well because the Static compression is lower... hence you cant run 1 bar on pump gas on a stock motor.. but can easily run 1 bar on 8:5:1 compression....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey Mo the TT Shortblock works in the IS.....hmmmm...Wow.....

*** Before you get your panties in a bunch that is just some ribbing...Take it sleazy ***

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH Racing Enhanced :) .....
"When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST.......TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing"

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
dt1313 said:
Hey Mo the TT Shortblock works in the IS.....hmmmm...Wow.....

*** Before you get your panties in a bunch that is just some ribbing...Take it sleazy ***

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH Racing Enhanced :) .....
"When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST.......TOYOMOTO & BULLISH Racing"
Yeah it does, WOhooo, could never have figured that out. Thanks man.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
considering your power goals, i think that Mo's statement is spot on, the mls from the supra will better suit you

-gte

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:
Sorry forgot to answer the rest of your questions.
You should be able to run upto 450RWHP on Pump. But make sure you have adequate intercooling and fuel.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was just curious.

1. Yes you can run more boost, but do you give up a lot of bottom end by reducing compression?

2. Because our heads are different from the Supra TT heads do we actually reduce compression to 8.5:1 or is it a little higher than that? I know GTE you have not CCed them but I wonder if the Supra guys have done this ... I believe I found something that indicated that it may be more like 8.7:1 or something ... I could be wrong, regardless, the GTE bottom end will help. Do you think a metal headgasket would work better than a stock? I have heard a lot of mixed feelings with metal headgaskets. Some nice ARP headbolts would probably be nice too!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
turbo97se said:
I was just curious.

1. Yes you can run more boost, but do you give up a lot of bottom end by reducing compression?

2. Because our heads are different from the Supra TT heads do we actually reduce compression to 8.5:1 or is it a little higher than that? I know GTE you have not CCed them but I wonder if the Supra guys have done this ... I believe I found something that indicated that it may be more like 8.7:1 or something ... I could be wrong, regardless, the GTE bottom end will help. Do you think a metal headgasket would work better than a stock? I have heard a lot of mixed feelings with metal headgaskets. Some nice ARP headbolts would probably be nice too!
1. You do give up a little bit of the bottom end, however depending on the forced induction setup you have the turbo can be one that spools up very quickly. The advantage between loosing some bottom end and the ability of handling a lot more power reliably is far greater.

2. The compression with the GE head I believe is about 8.6:1 The stock TT headgasket is MLS (Multi Layered Steel) This gasket is definitely up par even under very high boost (30+PSI) The main thing to watch out for is detonation, if you have detonation present, any head gasket will eventually give, including the engine ofcourse. Definitely recommend the ARP headSTUDS.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thanks! I am still tossing around the idea of doing the GTE headswap too, though I know it certainly won't be plug and play, more like plug and scratch your head for a long time and relocate a whole bunch of stuff!

Swift Racing Technologies said:
turbo97se said:
I was just curious.

1. You do give up a little bit of the bottom end, however depending on the forced induction setup you have the turbo can be one that spools up very quickly. The advantage between loosing some bottom end and the ability of handling a lot more power reliably is far greater.

2. The compression with the GE head I believe is about 8.6:1 The stock TT headgasket is MLS (Multi Layered Steel) This gasket is definitely up par even under very high boost (30+PSI) The main thing to watch out for is detonation, if you have detonation present, any head gasket will eventually give, including the engine ofcourse. Definitely recommend the ARP headSTUDS.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
turbo97se said:
Thanks! I am still tossing around the idea of doing the GTE headswap too, though I know it certainly won't be plug and play, more like plug and scratch your head for a long time and relocate a whole bunch of stuff!

turbo97se said:
I was just curious.

Unless you are shooting for RWHP in the 750+ range you do not need it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah so ..... ? :) Actually, I am aiming for 500-600 reliable RWHP. Still, people get greedy over time and I would probably just like to do that anyway ;).

Mo, has SRT done a full conversion yet?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
turbo97se said:
Yeah so ..... ? :) Actually, I am aiming for 500-600 reliable RWHP. Still, people get greedy over time and I would probably just like to do that anyway ;).

Mo, has SRT done a full conversion yet?

Thanks for the advice!

Actually no. I do not recommend a full swap. One of the main reasons is that the GTE head has different exhaust manifold bolt pattern. Our manifold was machined for the GE head. Secondly, we have used the GE head with GTE block to produce power levels that is ... well ... lets just say "sick". :wink:

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. So has no one CC'd the block, head, and piston? Surely someone has actually done this?

The problem I have is that everyone says "about" or "close to" when referring to the compression ratio and headgasket size.

Come on guys, who has the real info?

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
IS_Dude said:
I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. So has no one CC'd the block, head, and piston? Surely someone has actually done this?

The problem I have is that everyone says "about" or "close to" when referring to the compression ratio and headgasket size.

Come on guys, who has the real info?
why would you want a copy of it when u just get the real thing from toyota, not too expensive either... :-?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts