Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this year I found out there's such a thing as dashcam mirrors, which are rearview mirrors that have both a screen on them, and can record front and back video footage simultaneously. I will try to recap what I did to set it up, and hopefully it'll help out some of you out there looking to do an install like this yourselves (or anyone with a backup camera). This is also my first contribution to my.is so hopefully I create this post the right way.

What is it?
This is what I bought. It's a wide-screen digital mirror that is meant to be strapped to your existing rearview mirror, and allows you to record footage from a forward facing and rear-mounted camera.

This mirror also allows you to watch the footage in real-time (great as a backup camera when parallel parking, which is what I use it for most!). You can simply turn off the display too and it acts like a regular mirror, which is what I do during the day when it's too bright outside to see the screen properly.

Here's an example of what it looked like strapped to my existing mirror, before the rear camera was installed:

Rear Camera Installation
I have some of this documented in this post on my Instagram.

First, run the wire from the mirror area (top center of windshield) along the headliner on the passenger side. Then run it down the A pillar, all the way to the bottom of the door trim. Continue running it along the side of the vehicle and behind the rear seats through a whole for audio wires. I'm sorry I don't have photos for this- but I used the same guide as those trying to run subwoofer/audio wiring through to the trunk, and there's plenty of help for that on this site.

Next, run the wire from the trunk up through the passenger side arm that holds up the trunk lid, and through to the center of the trunk from the inside (you'll need to plastic liner pinned into the inside of the trunk).

You now have to remove the plastic trim that surrounds the keyhole and two licence plate lights. I can't seem to find the reference video I used for that but I remember it was a bit of a pain to remove, you'll need some long needle-nose pliers to pop the plastic pins keeping that plastic in place. And I believe there were also 4 nuts to remove as well. Again, i'm sorry that I can't find the reference footage I used for this, as I did this camera installation many months ago. When you remove it, it should look a bit like this:

You can see the two plastic pins and 4 threads for the nuts in that picture.

What I did to run the wire into the trunk was drill a hole near the keyhole. It's quite important where you drill the hole- you don't want to drill into the plastic supports on either side of the keyhole, and you want it to be accessible to run the wire through it. Here's how I ran my wire:

I then attached the camera mounting bracket to the plastic trim, just below the keyhole. The kit comes with both screws and double sided mounting tape, but I didn't trust using only the tape, so I used both. FYI these screws and bracket really rusted on me in the months since this installation, so i'd suggest covering them with some kind of anti-rust treatment first.

I then attached the camera and ran its wire through the license plate light hole. This is because for some reason my light was already loose in there and needed a spacer to keep it in from the side, so this wire replaces the need for that spacer. Here's where we are so far:

Excuse the mess in the trunk. I've since organized it.

The last step is to put everything back together. Here's a shot in the daylight:

Due to attachment limits, I will post the mirror installation below:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mirror Installation
I have some of this documented in this post on my Instagram

This would be relatively simple if I kept the mirror strapped to the OEM mirror, but I wanted it to look less bulky, and more presentable. Here's what I did to directly attach the mirror to my car.

First I bought this universal dashcam mirror mount, along with this bracket, to use on the mirror. Unfortunately this specific mirror I purchased didn't come with the standard screw hole locations in the back, so I decided to just superglue it as clean as I could. I think it looks just fine, and is quite secure: enough for the mirror to be adjusted without problem.

To remove the OEM mirror, it's quite simple. Just firmly grasp the mirror with both hands and twist it so the arm attached to the windshield rotates counter-clockwise. about a quarter turn is enough to dislodge it from the bracket on the windshield, and you can safely pull it off. Don't forget to detach the wiring and tuck that wire back into the headliner.

Here is the new mirror side-by-side with the OEM mirror. As you can see, the new one is actually much larger.

Unfortunately, you cannot attach the mirror where the existing mount bracket is, as it ends up being too high up. So I had to attach the mount lower, using a special glue made for rearview mirror brackets. I decided to also keep the OEM bracket anyway, just in case my new one falls off or something.

I decided to keep the tabs for the straps on for now as well. They're a bit ugly, and completely useless now that the mirror isn't strapped to the OEM one, but I haven't figured out how to cut them off and still keep it looking presentable.

I have a video in this post on Instagram, showing multiple angles, if you were interested. This post also contains videos of it at night.

Fun fact, this is the "dashcam" i used to run, an off-brand GoPro called SJCam I think:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts