Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Same thing happened to me bout a month ago. Checked my fuses and realized the taillight fuse was blown. Replaced it and blew it again once I tried to turn on the lights. Turns out my fog light wires were stripped and were grounding out my taillights. They must run on the same circuit... So start with ur fuses

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i replased all the fuses yesterday and my brake light fuse was blown so it wouldnt let me put it in gear but as son as i changed it it worked. even after replasing the fuses the lights still dont come on. im wondering if one of the sensors is busted because the check engine light came on when the lights started acting up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Do your parking lights turn on when you turn your headlights on?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its not a fuse, your brake light has 2 filaments inside the bulb. Simply put you blew out the one that stays on, so you are still able to press on the brake and have the light turn on. If you want to check to make sure, you can always unplug the bulb from the other side that works and plug it into the side you are having problems if it works fine replace your bulb

·
Registered
560 Posts
Another issue may be the Lamp failure sensor. Its a little red box on the drivers side of the trunk underneath the trunk lining. My brake lights worked but my taillights did not work. Also, the lamp failure indicator light on the dash will not come on if this is the case since it is the failure sensor that is blown. Its something like $300 from lexus to replace.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
i'm having this same issue, i work at lexus, have had lexus tech's look at it...its a nightmare

i have no brake lights, no tailights, rear turn signals both work...thats it...also cannot move the shifter into gear

i have replaced fuses/relays/stop light switch assy., bulbs, even switched out the failure lamp red box too....still NOTHING :( :(

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
You guys have replaced the TAIL relay correct? Maybe possible ground...b/c the print shows they are all tied together and landed on the left fender. Anyway...can you check both of the two lamp wire to a known ground to see if your getting +12 back there...to verify if a bad ground. When you turn on your parking lights...do you hear the TAIL relay click...if not...a bad combination switch on you turn signal stalk.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Do you hear a click from the driverside kick panel whenever you turn the parking lights on? Taillights are fed from the 10A TAIL fuse in the driverside kick panel fuse box. Does your interior illumination work when the parking lights are turned on? If they do then it is not the tail relay but more likely an open wire. Need some more info please.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Reviving this thread..

I just noticed this problem on my 2001 IS300.

Here's the problem, when i start the car and turn on the lights my headlights work, but no lights in the rear. Pressing down the brakes turns on the brake light but during normal driving my rear is completely unlit, taillights and license plate light.

I've noticed my license plate going out, can replacing these fix my problem?

Also, i removed my fog lights and zip tied the sockets to something that will prevent them from hanging. After noticing my taillight/license plate light not working and reading some threads here on MY.IS, i went back and taped all the sockets up so nothing is exposed.

Ive also replaced the 10Amp fuse in the driver side kick panel in the front seat. DIdnt help.

Thanks fellow isers

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
Reviving this thread..

I just noticed this problem on my 2001 IS300.

Here's the problem, when i start the car and turn on the lights my headlights work, but no lights in the rear. Pressing down the brakes turns on the brake light but during normal driving my rear is completely unlit, taillights and license plate light.

I've noticed my license plate going out, can replacing these fix my problem?

Also, i removed my fog lights and zip tied the sockets to something that will prevent them from hanging. After noticing my taillight/license plate light not working and reading some threads here on MY.IS, i went back and taped all the sockets up so nothing is exposed.

Ive also replaced the 10Amp fuse in the driver side kick panel in the front seat. DIdnt help.

Thanks fellow isers.
Sounds like you might have an open circuit to the rear bulbs, but there are seperate circuits based off three connectors in the kick panel. The rear is on it's own circuit, mainly the 2 taillights and 2 inner trunk tails. There's a white/ black wire and green/white wire that are taped to the bumper and swing from the driver side to the passenger taillight. Make sure those two wires are in good condition because I found this is common problem and it was hanging down one day.
This thread should help and also shot you a PM.

http://my.is/forums/f115/fog-lights-tail-lights-dont-work-brake-lights-do-445964/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, Just like most of the people on this feed, I am having the same problem w my '02 is300. The difference is that my left side works just fine, although my right side doesn't. The lights that are on my car are LEDs that were on the car when I bought it. Had a couple people check it out seeming to believe it might be the ballast and they are telling me to just get a brand new set of tail lights... There has to be another solution here! Can it really be a fuse or not really seeing as my left one is working?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.