Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next Infiniti Q45--the face looks awfully familiar...

Here's a reference pic:

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
what a butt ugly attempt to make a decent (emphasis on decent, not great) car look i dunno, like a rock. and how is the seven lens HID headlamp supposed to sell the car? havn't researched the car extensively but honestly, at surface level, what is Infiniti going for?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as performance goes, the new Q45 is impressive. 4.5L V8 producing 340 hp and 333 lb-ft of torque...0-60 mph is estimated at less than 6 seconds. The upcoming LS430 (which, IMO, looks a lot better than the upcoming Q45) will have a 4.3L V8 (290 hp, 320 lb-ft)...0-60 in 6.2 seconds.

P.S., I haven't had falafel in a loooong while.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
The interior is also very very nice. A huge improvement over the current model. Although i dont like the exterior styling, I think infiniti, as well as lexus, tries to model the high end cars like a mercedes. The head lights seem to be very similar. same with the old model ones too. www.freshalloy.com has more pictures and info on the new q45

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
When the rep at the NYC autoshow gave me the figures on the powertrain I was very impressed. It's interesting though how Infinity has changed over the year (as far as powertrain). In 1990 the Q45 had 278 horsepower and the LS400 had 250 with Infinity putting the emphasis on Performance. Infinity was to BMW, like Lexus was to Mercedes Benz. The LS400 and Q45 got 1st and 2nd place respectively in a Car & Driver Comparison (against the top German and American cars). Then for some reasons the tables turned and Infinity reduced their powertrain displacement from 4.5 liters to 4.1 liters. The horsepower went down from 278 to 266 and their weight went up. Inifinity put the emphasis on Luxury and was dead last in the last two Car & Driver comparisons.... This should be like a Jim Beam commercial because it seems Infinity has gone "Back to the Bascics"... The Q45 is now more powerful and faster than the LS430 (like in 1990)and much uglier than the LS430 (like in 1990).. The front of the first generation was so ugly in the front with that BIG BADGE in the middle and no grille. Remided me of the old Ford Taurus but 278 horsepower made up for that (for some people at least).
Eric.....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
ps. It's no wonder that infinity used those nature commercials back in 1990... Their car was so ugly that they didn't want to scare anyone....
Eric...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I laughed out loud when I read Erick's comment! That front is incongrous with the rest of the car - it's a shame - totally spoils the sleek look!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I sort of liked the front of the original Q45...

Comparing the two pictures in this topic, the new Q45 looks like an inflatable IS300 but someone left the air hose turned on too long.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited June 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I give credit to Infiniti to start trying again. The switch in powertrain as Eric pointed out was a result of a cost reduction that Infiniti went through. It is my understanding that the last Q was built on a shared platform with a sister Nissan product that significantly reduced costs from the real Q (debut) back when it scooted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Arnold Schwartznegger will love those machine turret gun headlight. Bring on the preditor. I not only have the fire power to blow you away, I now have the horse power to carry them, says Arnold....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
ok.... the best way to describe the new Q45 is not that it's ugly but it doesn't have any character at all... It has about as much character as a Honda Accord... When you see two women walking on the street, usually the one you remember is the one with the striking and distinctive features. When you look at the IS300 its lines and shape are well defined and distinctive. However on the other hand the Q45's shape is not nearly as defined and its boundaries are obscure and untidy. Maybe their designers work while drunk and just see things as a blur..
Eric....

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like the Acura 3.2CL... <duck>

·
Registered
994 Posts
That Q45 reminds me of those old Ford Thunderbird coupes.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited June 14, 2000).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts