Lexus IS Forum banner

Have you seen this IS300 bashing?

599 views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  IS300SAREPFCKINGGAY 
#1 ·
#3 ·
wow, that article straight-up attacked Lexus. nothing good was written in there. case in point, the is300's phenominal braking. they said nothing about its ability to stop far shorter than the bimmer. all it had was the size of the brake discs, of which the bimmer's was larger. that was a horrible article.

#4 ·
What exactly is this Fast Facts publication? It doesn't seem to be terribly objective.

Like the 10 speaker vs. 8 speaker comparison. 10 speakers does not a good sounding stereo make. The BMW stereo has been universally panned.

I admit, the IS300 probably falls a bit short of the 330i in terms of driving dynamics, but it is darn close. Considering it costs a good deal less, it is a bargain in my estimation.

You know, this is Lexus's first cut at competing with the 3-series. BMW had better watch out because Toyota/Lexus is becoming a more fierce competitor. Each iteration of the Lexus vehicles comes closer and closer to the benchmark set by BMW and/or Mercedes.

A good case in point is the new Lexus LS430. Although the automotive press won't say that it is better than the S-Class or 7-series, even they admit it is much closer than ever before.

Jeff

#5 ·
Possibly BMW propaganda sent to BMW dealers?

Notice the logo on top of the first page has a BMW grille.

I just did a quick check and they didn't get all the facts right. For instance they said that auto dimming rearview mirror is standard on the IS300, but it isn't even available this year.

Also the comparison was a bit "rigged". They have a bunch of columns for BMW specific features like "Super Premium Harmon/Kardon stereo" and "multi-function steering wheel".

Hmm - maybe we should add some more columns:
............................Lexus...BMW
Lexus Emblems.................STD...N/A
Electronic Brake Distribution.STD...N/A
Lexus Premium Audio system....STD...N/A
Toyota/Lexus Quality..........STD...N/A
Phat exhaust pipe tip.........STD...N/A
Stamped Aluminum pedal covers.STD...N/A
Chrome Shifter ball...........STD...N/A

etc,etc...

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited January 23, 2001).]

#8 ·
Oh brother, here we focking go yet again. IS vs the focking world!

first f_cking page says it all 'volumn 1, number 1' typical filthy rag start-up tactic, stir up some bullsh!t to get focking attention, these bozos are going no where.

judging from that stinking fugly sorry ass clip art of a focking car by the 'first fact' title says these focking lowlifes are amatures.

#10 ·
Ouch, talk about letting you have it.

As biased as they were, the majority was true but they forgot to give credit where credit is due. Like braking that out stops BMW and Toyota reliability. But I'm sure as you all have assumed this was no doubtedly propaganda for BMW.

Cheers!

P.S. My Audi rules!

#11 ·
WOW. I haven't read propaganda like that in awhile.

Originally posted by QuikVR6:
As biased as they were, the majority was true but they forgot to give credit where credit is due.
I wouldn't even say that. In addition to all the media quotes taken out of context, there's a ridiculous number of empty statements crafted with the sole purpose to mislead. Besides the examples brought up by Danny's 3.2TL and Jeff Taylor, my favorite is the blurb "BMW330i offers a performance aerodynamics package, Lexus does not."

You'd think that the writers were oblivious to the industry standard measure of aerodynamic performance, coefficient of drag, not to mention coefficient of lift. (The IS300's Cd is 0.29, and the 330i's Cd is 0.35.)

In a way, this is rather flattering. This would seem to be the first time BMW and/or their advocates stooped this low, which implies how serious they see the IS300 as a threat to the 3-series.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

#12 ·
Total propaganda write-up - a classic! Pseudo-Objective. Even if I was not an IS owner, I would spot the obvious slant in the writing. I like the part about "BMW is always a target... a fast moving target" on pg3. What's that all about.

It's funny that they're so worried about this new competition that they immediately resort to this sort of trashing. Anyway... Just smile at them when you get a good jump on one (328's/330's) off the line. That's victory, and for about $10k less than the comp. equipped 330i Bimmer. Japanese Power - (and reliability) Enough said.

------------------
IS300 - Graphite Gray
...Enjoy the Ride!

#13 ·
As biased as the article is, I have to agree with some points, especially the one about the fuel economy and the automatic transmission's soft shifts. I still wonder if someone like SRT could modify the tranny control to give it sharper shifts in the power mode.

#14 ·
What a load of crap...BMW obviously did this because IS's are probably taking a bite out of sales for the 330i. It is true that BMW has its strong points. But it seems that this article was published for a salesperson to read so that he can sway a potential victim (buyer) to ante up and buy a BMW over an IS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.