Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody know of a source for aftermarket/OEM gas charged struts for the hatch. My Sportcross hatch won't stay up. Searching Google etc only turns up suspension items.

TIA
Pete

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pete,

Did you find a source for the struts? I noticed mine are not working well so I'll need replacements soon. I had good luck finding used struts for my wife's Honda Odyssey at online salvage (car-parts.com), but that is a much more common car than our SportX's.

Stan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hatchback struts installed

Well I put them on, took 5 minutes
They hold the door up fine (which the old ones did not do)
Only thing is, I have to lift the hatch to open it, it doesn't rise on its own
which is no big deal (it will rise slowly once past halfway)
I guess the 4 lbs extra force the original had would make the difference
(These are rated at 60 lbs the originals at 62 lbs)
It is also 1/4 inch shorter so the door opens slightly less
They also make a strut rated at 70 lbs for $44, but 4 lbs less seemed better than 16 lbs over at the time
Maybe one of each would be best

Overall for 1/5 the price of dealer originals they are fine
Pete

60 lbs Lift Supports

70 lbs Lift Supports

PS They're made in Germany, go figure

·
Registered
336 Posts
i don't mean to hijack this thread but has anyone noticed if their struts aren't performing 'as well' now that it's winter??

i can't tell if my struts are dying or if they're just struggling cuz it's cold. i sometimes i have some snow/ice on my hatch door so maybe this is adding to the struggle...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have lived for years with a sagging rear hatch on my 2004 Sportcross rather than pay $350 to Lexus for a set of lift supports. Yesterday, I got a custom fitting from stock supplies from Brandon at LiftSupportsDepot.com 760-744-2956. It is a family owned business supplying gas struts made in the USA for just about everything. Total cost? $54 plus tax for both. Lifetime warranty too.
I went back and replaced the struts on my Ford F350 camper shell. Cost; $48
Finally, Lexus owners have an alternative to the overpriced dealer monopoly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts