Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the tokyo auto salon, SEMA, and other recent world auto shows.....

It seems like not too many dedicated parts are being developed for the IS300/Altezza as they once were a few years ago...

sure, a big boy like Veilside FINALLY has a kit for our car, but as many know, its looks are not very appealing....there are many knock off companies making knock offs of JDM body kits....

however....

being that the car has been in the US since summer 2000, and we now have 4 model years on the road, why havent more companies stepped up to the plate to develop more products and unique body kits like we see for many other import cars?

I guess the fact that sales have been low in recent years, that such products dont neccesitate change...

maybe the IS300 still has yet to become a true "tuners" car....I think maybe now with more and more turbo and supercharged IS's becoming common place, more big name companies will see just how marketable the car truly can become...

but just an observation I had....

Personally, I'm very happy I made the decision on the IS300, its become a hobby of mine to work on the car moreso then I ever could have imagined the day I got the car....

discuss if you want to add anything or feel the same way I do...

8)

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
looks like its pretty popular over there in japan.. maybe they just dont give it much attention because its a lexus.. because of its price, major companies would concentrate more of their products on cars like hondas and acura, because they are cheaper and more people can afford them. therefore more business will be gained.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the batmobile said:
looks like its pretty popular over there in japan.. maybe they just dont give it much attention because its a lexus.. because of its price, major companies would concentrate more of their products on cars like hondas and acura, because they are cheaper and more people can afford them. therefore more business will be gained.
even in Japan....all the shows are dominated by the 350z's and rx-8's....and other cars still like evo's, skyline's, wrx's....

I never even see any altezza's highlighted at the big shows anymore....

its as if its dying out...and lost its popularity :cry:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess one of the reasons being, that a 4 door lex, even though it being the sportiest model of the brand, doesnt appeal very much to tuners because they dont think that people would buy the car with tuning in mind. But I dont think its because of the prie range considering that the 3550z,sti,evo,rx8 range from $28k-$35k.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The IS300 aftermarket isn't nearly as big as many people make it out to be. Before getting it, I was under the impression it has a huge aftermarket. After looking at it thoroughly, there aren't many companies. It doesn't really affect me, since I don't have the money to buy parts anyways.

1 reason may be limited demand. The IS may have a high % of owners who mod compared to other luxury brand cars but overall, sales are slow & the total # of potential customers is therefore quite small.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
most of the lexus owners dont have the mindset of buying aftermarket parts as shown in japan.

the few of us lexus owners are left with limited demand and supply production.

drift bible, a REALLY GOOD and new video has a clip of altezza drifting :)
take that to all the other drift cars!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Soon enough, the 350's WRX's and Evo's will be replaced by something new....always the case. Not many Lexus owners mod their cars...maybe like 5-10% as apposed to Honda's. I knew when I bought mine I'd have to "make" a lot of my own mods....just how it goes.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MrMark said:
Soon enough, the 350's WRX's and Evo's will be replaced by something new....always the case. Not many Lexus owners mod their cars...maybe like 5-10% as apposed to Honda's. I knew when I bought mine I'd have to "make" a lot of my own mods....just how it goes.
but my main point also is, is it true the altezza in japan has lost its flare and popularity from a cpl years ago??? just checking in seeing pictures from all the big car shows recently, I dont see any altezza's anymore....

I know not too many Lexus owners mod their cars.....we are a silent minority here of IS300 owners who actually do stuff....

just the development of parts lately for the IS300 from big name manufacturers have been slim to none....just a shame....so did the IS300 miss its oportunity as a tuner's dream car? or are we still a year or 2 away, when we will have 2001-2005/6 models available and more older cars available to younger people who in turn will mod them up like honda's? :crazy:

·
Registered
29 Posts
It hasnt lost it's flare.... its just gotten old. Altezza was released in 97 as a 1998 model in Japan. That has given it six years and counting for aftermarket parts and following. Fads come and go, and new trendier cars will replace oldies but goodies. Just the nature of the game as MrMark outlined.

You want tuner car. the Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86), Mazda RX-7, Nissan 180SX, 240SX, Silvias. Those cars have built up quite a following over the past decade as cult favorites. If the Altezza sticks to it's roots, it can acheive that status in a few years to come.

·
Registered
167 Posts
drift bible doesn't have a Altezza drifting. I think you're referring to BMI Vol 6 - 350z Shock, where they have a TRD Tuned Altezza pushing 300 ps out of the 3SGE.

They also have the Altezza racing against other cars down a mountain in the latest BMI volume, featuring the Rx-8, but I still have yet to see it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The IS300 is a major sales bomb for Lexus/Toyota and, face it, they showed the way when they spiked the TRD supercharger. When a company pulls the plug on its most significant aftermarket offering for a product the rest of the aftermarket community gets the message. Last years SEMA show wasn't exacly bustling with IS300 activity either.

Toyota/Lexus thinks modding cars is a game for young adults hence the push for Scion related offerings.

The important thing is the stuff is out there to do extensive mods on the IS if you have desire and dollars.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CRB said:
The IS300 is a major sales bomb for Lexus/Toyota and, face it, they showed the way when they spiked the TRD supercharger. When a company pulls the plug on its most significant aftermarket offering for a product the rest of the aftermarket community gets the message. Last years SEMA show wasn't exacly bustling with IS300 activity either.

Toyota/Lexus thinks modding cars is a game for young adults hence the push for Scion related offerings.

The important thing is the stuff is out there to do extensive mods on the IS if you have desire and dollars.
very good point...

the SCION line is poised to become very popular....their 2 dr coupe looks sweet as well....

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.