Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Is 300 now and am thinking about getting a new car real soon. I have a few option in mind like the 08 acura TL type s or an 08 G35x. I havent really thought much about getting a new IS until now. But my question is has anyone gone from an IS300 to an IS250? And were you happy with the move? To me it seems like a step down. Yeah the 250 has a new look but has less power and the ones i looked at a few years ago seemed a lot smaller than the 300.

The reason I ask is everytime I mention the IS my wife is like "the 250". Mainly because of price. I mean the 350 is like $5K more than the other two I am looking at. Is it worth the premium in price for the 350 over the TL or the G35?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Where are you getting the pricing on that?

MSRP of a base IS350 is $36,005

MSRP of a base G35x is $34,350

MSRP of a base TL-S is $38,225

So the IS is -cheaper- than the TL, and less than 2k more than the G.

All of the above are without options of course, but then again you shouldn't be paying anywhere near MSRP anyway

And FWIW the 2 cars I looked at most closely before purchasing my IS350 were the TL-S and the G35 Sport, and it wasn't that hard a decision in the end.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
In all honesty... the IS250 has less torque... but the hp numbers are pretty similar. You gotta remember that the two engines were rated under two different systems.

By going from an IS300 to an IS250... you loose some of the raw sporty feeling in exchange for luxury and refinement. You should really sit in the car and see if you like it. The IS250 being newer... will obviously have more features and gadgets in it.

Another plus to the IS250 is the fuel consumption... it's improved over the IS300. The IS300 gets similar mileage to the IS350.

If you could... I'd go for the IS350.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First things first, the Acura Tl-s is a completely loaded vehicle, you can't add anything else to the car. I know, because I just traded my TL-S (07) for an 08 IS350. One thing that you will notice about the TL is that it looks nice, but my wife hated that car. It rode very rough because of the suspension, but the suspension was nice because of it's ability to take corners. However, that tight suspension will cause the car to deteriorate fairly quickly. I'm not talking about falling apart from the seems or anything like that. First thing you will notice is that it will start to rattle here and there. If you join the Acurazine website, you'll read all about it. These rattles drove me crazy, and they kept getting worse and increasing in number.

Another thing about the TL-s, it's an Acura car, but it's not a japanese car. It is put together here in the states, and I know the quality just isn't the same. The leather in the seats is very poor (in my honest opinion), 3 months after driving the car, you'd see stress cracks all over the seats and you'd swear that they weren't taken care of. I conditioned those seats once a month without fail. The seats in the IS are 100% better quality IMO.

I upgraded to the IS350, and have been very happy with my switch. Some people may like the Acura drive better, but the fit and finish and everything else about the IS is much better...but it does cost more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just test drove an IS250 AWD and I like the car. My wife liked it the best out of the three. It seems all three have good things and bad things about them.

G35X
Pros-Power, style(IMO) and i love the layout of the interior
Cons-Unable to do much with the voice commands on the nav(no temp control or radion control)

TL-S
Pros-Fully loaded, voice commands for everything
Cons-FWD, black seats have stupid silver inserts

IS250
Pros-has all the gadgets we want
Cons-Small backseat and can not get sport package on the 250(I hate the wood), less power

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I looked at all the other options and I just couldn't go with anything other than the Lexus.
I went from a 300 to a 250 and the longer I drive the 250 the more I like it. It's definitely a softer ride. At first I missed the TQ that the 300 had but now I don't really notice it. My 250 has nav and all the gadgets whereas my 300 did not. The 2gen IS has a lot better interior IMO and the leather they used is far superior to my 300's. Once you drive it around awhile you will be surprised how many new features are built into the 2gens that just weren't there in the 1gen. The gas mileage is also a plus on the 250. For me to get the 350 version of my 250 I would have to spend 8-10K more because of the package differences(and I am toooo impatient to wait for special orders). Plus it's a daily driver and I don't race it but I definitely don't get left behind in traffic tho either.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I've driven the 250 AWD and RWD...i personally like both. I have an IS300 now. The 250 is just a different car. Also, the stats are close for the 250 and 300 as far as performance. Just test dive the cars and pick. I personally love the front dome lights on the 250....well...all the new lexus's. The crazy lights with a hint of blue.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You can get the X package on the 250 if you want the metal trim... or if you want the lux features you can probably find someone with the metal trim willing to swap trim pieces with you.

And the Acura TL=S is "fully loaded" but it's also an ancient design at this point... the platform is 5 years old this fall... so while you get "every" option there's many that simply don't exist for the car.... plus, FWD, so ick :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hesitated between the g35x and is250 AWD for a long time. The g35 has the magnificent vq engine going for it. The power on that thing is exceptional. I finally chose the IS250 because it was more fuel efficient, lighter, easier to manoeuvre and had more crisp handling. Either one is an excellent buy. The Acura shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
how did you get the 250 awd with no wood my dealer said it had to have wood
Dealers have a bad habit of lying

Wood only comes on 250 AWDs with the premium package... there's no reason you have to get this unless you need the cooled seats.

Base, Lux, Nav/ML, all available without wood on the 250AWD

Now, if your dealer has one on the lot or you have to order it is another story

·
Registered
348 Posts
Packaging may differ between Canada and US but the first level of package on the awd has no wood. Actually, you can get a base IS250 AWD with cloth and no moonroof if you like, which is popular among six footers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just test drove an IS250 AWD and I like the car. My wife liked it the best out of the three. It seems all three have good things and bad things about them.

G35X
Pros-Power, style(IMO) and i love the layout of the interior
Cons-Unable to do much with the voice commands on the nav(no temp control or radion control)

TL-S
Pros-Fully loaded, voice commands for everything
Cons-FWD, black seats have stupid silver inserts

IS250
Pros-has all the gadgets we want
Cons-Small backseat and can not get sport package on the 250(I hate the wood), less power

The G35 DEFINITELY has voice prompts for Audio and HVAC--the salesperson showed me when I test drove it. IS has it too--I just cant ever remeber what the voice commands are (I can remember "Radio Off"--but I think I'll just press the button).

And you forgot 1 Con for the Acura--will be a dinosaur in a few months. Seriously, if you wanted to get a TL, wait for summer when they are clammoring to unload them for the new ones (or wait till fall and get a new one!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Packaging may differ between Canada and US but the first level of package on the awd has no wood. Actually, you can get a base IS250 AWD with cloth and no moonroof if you like, which is popular among six footers.
Cant get cloth or no moonroof in the States (except for the XPackage w/o moonroof--which isn't avail with AWD). You could try and look for base AWD without the wood, but you lose out on many other features.

I used to hate the wood, but I've grown to really like it--it's not over done (like I think Infiniti's is--its just on the console and door panel trims. No dash pieces, which I find silly).

·
Registered
276 Posts
how did you get the 250 awd with no wood my dealer said it had to have wood
It doesn't "have to" have it--its just that, probably 95+% of the IS250AWD that are shipped to the NE region are built with the wood. Do you REALLY want to special order and wait 3-4 months so you won't have wood? And, if you do that, you can't get heated/vented seats, which IMO would be a huge mistake.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The G35 DEFINITELY has voice prompts for Audio and HVAC--the salesperson showed me when I test drove it. IS has it too--I just cant ever remeber what the voice commands are (I can remember "Radio Off"--but I think I'll just press the button).

And you forgot 1 Con for the Acura--will be a dinosaur in a few months. Seriously, if you wanted to get a TL, wait for summer when they are clammoring to unload them for the new ones (or wait till fall and get a new one!)
The newer 2008's changed the voice recognition software to not be able to adjust the temp or radio stations.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It doesn't "have to" have it--its just that, probably 95+% of the IS250AWD that are shipped to the NE region are built with the wood. Do you REALLY want to special order and wait 3-4 months so you won't have wood? And, if you do that, you can't get heated/vented seats, which IMO would be a huge mistake.
Actually you'd only give up vented. Stock 250 AWD gets you heated. The AWD is optioned very differently from the rest of the ISx50s.

Vented is the only feature you'd lose special ordering without wood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
also just want to chime in....if you don't like the wood on the door panels and in the middle, you can buy the aftermarket ones that replace it....they are made of carbon fiber i believe...so it shouldn't be an issue :)

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I Upgraded to a 08 350 from an 05 300, I test drove the 250 but it seemed similar in power but the handeling wasn't as good and I really needed the horse so I got the 350. I would suggest to do everything you can to get into the 350, because even if the 250 is nicer inside than the 300,the 350 is much more fun on the inside and just as nice. Just my opnion. Go for the gold >>>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts