Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Titanium dash? If so how much is it? Where can I get it, can i get it from any dealer?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I haven't heard of this before. It isn't a factory option - it must be something that some dealers are doing with an aftermarket vendor.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Real Titanium? Man that will be expensive. Please let you know if you find anyone who sells this because I would like to have one. I am going to guess that the price will be in the $1000 though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
HEY...I'M LOOKING FOR A DASH KIT FOR MY UPCOMING IS300. TITANIUM WOULD BE PERFECT. IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF ONE FOR THE IS300, PLEASE RESPOND BACK!!
THANKS A BUNCH,
ROSANNE

·
Registered
511 Posts
HEY YOJU... Whats this Titanium Dash Kit about? Im picking up My IS from Rallye Next Week the sales guy only told be about a Carbon Fiber Dask kit?? I would love this "Titanium" one if it's out there. Please elaborate. Who did you speak to at Rallye?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Guys can check out Exotic wood dashes at 1-800-354-4449. Last time I called them they had a real polished aluminum kit for my GSR($250). They have a website at exoticdashkit.com but it does not have info on these kits. They could possible carry one for the new IS.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, Rallye had it on one of their cars. Its on the Black one outside. I don't know if its still there or not. It was like $895. A lot, but looked sweet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You mean this kit is like chrome finished? how many pieces would you say it has? Does it match the shift knob? if so I may bet that instead of the Carbon Fiber.

I test drove the Black IS300 it wasnt on that one? Maybe on a customers car

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it really a good idea? I mean, wouldn't there be too many reflective surfaces inside the cabin? Shouldn't it be part of a total interior design than just sticking some shiny stuff haphazardly around. Has anyone actually seen it in person how well it'll work? I personally like a more business-like driving environment than chromium interior, but Audi does have really nicely done design though in the TT, so I guess it might work if it's tastefully done. I don't mean to throw water on your enthusiasm, but I would take a look at the designe before going for it. (Carbon fibre might actually be a better alternative) This is only my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, sorry, i wuz out of town to respond... here is the deal. The thing costs $750. It looks awesome... they change the switch plates, the entire middle console (includes A/C and radio) and the area outside of the shifter, ( not the plastic part that says P,R,N,D, etc. but the part casing it.) It looks amazing. Now, to get it is tough. This dealer (Rallye Lexus) made a deal with a separate contractor to create this new dash. I believe its added on TOP of the existing black plastic pieces of the dash. The only way to buy it is through Rallye Lexus. I am trying to get the part by just ordering the parts, not buy the car from there... we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
SteveB,
If this is real Titanium dash, then it shouldn't be reflective. Titanium does not have the shining look of steel, rather it looks kind of flat. I know this because I have two titanium watches right now, and one of them does not have ceramic coat on it and it does not reflect light well at all. BTW, titanium is very soft and not scratch resistant, so make sure you have a coat of ceramic or some scratch resistance material on it, or else your dash is going to look very ugly (like my watch now).

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Titanium is supposed to be stronger and lighter than steel and has better heat dissipating properties (or something like that since Ti is used on the leading edges of airplane wings).

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have a titanium shovel and a titanium crowbar. The metal is extremely strong and lightweight, but I do see alot of scratches on the surface. I don't exactly understand why such a strong, ridged medal would be prone to scratches, but apparently it is. Maybe there is a layer on the surface that is not as strong due to the manufacturing process.

Anyways - titanium is hard to machine because of the hardness, so I suspect that the "titanium" dashboard treatment is not real titanium. The carbon fiber dashboards are a plastic with a "carbon fiber look"...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Titanium is not the hardest metal, it is just harder than Steel. Titanium has one of the strangest properties as far as I know, all I know is that it is soft on the surface, that's why you need to have a ceramic coat to protect it. I guess maybe I should dig into my book and look for explanation on titanium.

Daniel

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This titanium jewelry site http://pages.infinit.net/frap/titaniumera/index.html

says:
"Aircraft grade titanium jewellery offers amazing resistance to dents and scratches and is immune to corrosive attack by salt water and marine environmnents. Ideal for weddings, engagements or commemorative gift. "

Maybe my shovel and crowbar aren't "aircraft grade". Also a shovel and crowbar are exposed to elements (e.g. scraping on rocks repeatedly) that you wouldn't expect to encounter on an airplane wing, or a watch band.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
More on Titanium:
Name: titanium
Symbol: Ti
Atomic number: 22
Atomic weight: 47.867 (1)
Group in periodic table: 4
Group name:
Period in periodic table: 4
Block in periodic table: d-block
CAS registry ID: 7440-32-6

Titanium minerals are quite common. The metal has a low density, good strength, is easily fabricated, and has excellent corrosion resistance. The metal burns in air and is the only element that burns in nitrogen. It is marvellous in fireworks.

Titanium is used for alloys with with aluminium, molybdenum, manganese, iron, and
other metals. These alloys of titanium are used principally in the aerospace industry,
for both airframes and engines, where lightweight strength and ability to withstand
extremes of temperature are important. Titanium is as strong as steel, but much
lighter. It is twice as strong as aluminium. It is nearly as resistant to corrosion as
platinum. Titanium is a component of joint replacement parts, including hip ball and
sockets.

It has excellent resistance to sea water and is used for propeller shafts, rigging, and
other parts of ships exposed to salt water. A titanium anode coated with platinum
provides cathodic protection from corrosion by salt water. Titanium paint is an
excellent reflector of infrared radiation, and is extensively used in solar observatories
where heat causes poor viewing conditions.

Pure titanium dioxide is relatively clear and has an extremely high index of refraction
with an optical dispersion higher than diamond. It is produced artificially for use as a
gemstone, but it is relatively soft. Star sapphires and rubies exhibit their asterism as a
result of the presence of TiO2. The dioxide is used extensively for paint as it is
permanent and has good covering power. Titanium oxide pigment accounts for the
largest use of the element.

Titanium is the fourth most abundant structural metal and ninth most common
element in the earth's crust. It is refined from rutile (TiO2) ores mined in the
United States, Australia, Africa, China and Russia. Rutile is most commonly
recognized as the gold color fibrous crystals in rutilated quartz. Titanium metal
weighs 45% less than steel and melts at 3,045°F. Titanium can be TIG and
MIG welded in inert gas. Fusion welders are used to attach ear posts and
other findings. In most applications, rivets, nuts and bolts, and bezels are used
for mechanical joining. Titanium cannot be soldered in a studio situation. A
smooth inert oxide film is present on the surface of the metal and it resists
solders.

Due to its high strength (especially the alloys) and light weight, titanium has
many applications in the aerospace industry. Excellent corrosion resistance
makes this metal highly desirable for chemical and food processing, also bone
replacement and other body implants. This hypo-allergenic metal is safe for
sensitive wearers.

Titanium is available in some 20 standard grades and alloys. Grade #1,
commercially pure (C.P.) titanium is the best suited to jewelry applications. It
is ductile and surprisingly slow to work harden. Although the other alloys and
less pure grades will color, they are too hard for jewelry work. Titanium
needs to be freshly etched to produce its most vivid colors

·
Registered
198 Posts
Haven't seen the titanium, but did see a carbon fiber dash kit put in at a local Lexus dealer. Got in the car and looked around and thought something was different, but initially couldn't put my finger on it.

Best way to describe it would be if you've ever seen a C-Class Mercedes with the sports package. Definately a personal choice, but I thought it looked pretty good.

·
Registered
387 Posts
where is the picture of the dash????

how can we keep on discuss if there is no picture to look at?????

[This message has been edited by yamaot (edited July 19, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
infinite95
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing