Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes the recirculating air control switchces to fresh air by itself? I usually leave my setting on recirculate, then for whatever reason it changes to fresh and I dont remember switching it. Anyone else have this happen?

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the temp setting and the car uses outside air to maintain a certain temp...just my theory

·
Registered
667 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I set it to recirculate because I hate suckin' in exhaust fumes on the highway. I think the car wants to use outside air though. I haven't taken the time to see what triggers it to switch by itself.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
This is one of those automated eprom features, which I found quite annoying. I had the dealer disable it, so it would not automatically recirculate or vent fresh air whenever it wanted to.

I think it switches to recirculated when the selected temp is much higher or lower than the outside temp. And it switches to fresh air when the selected temp is close to the outside temp. I think.

But, that was an auto-feature I did not like, so the dealer got rid of it.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
2,909 Posts
I wanted my dealer to do the same as Crontab, but they had no clue how to fix it. So they called some Lexus diagonstics plant in California, and they at the plant had no clue how to repair it.

crontab: Could you please tell me the dealer where they fixed that? So my dealer can speak to them to fix mine, thanks ahead of time.

PS I also agree with you as to why they a/c acts in that manner of switching by itself.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by jiggafett:
I wanted my dealer to do the same as Crontab, but they had no clue how to fix it. So they called some Lexus diagonstics plant in California, and they at the plant had no clue how to repair it.

crontab: Could you please tell me the dealer where they fixed that? So my dealer can speak to them to fix mine, thanks ahead of time.

PS I also agree with you as to why they a/c acts in that manner of switching by itself.
I think the manual states how and when it decides to switch to fresh air or recirculate.

jiggafett,

Your dealer should know how to re-program the ROM. Do a search on eprom or just rom, and you find some past threads on the subject. My dealer is Ray Catena of Monmouth

The service # is (732) 493-2100.

Hope that helps.

-crontab -l

------------------

[This message has been edited by crontab (edited February 17, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I know it does it automatically on my GS400.. I read the manual and it said it had something to do about oxygen levels?? Maybe recirculated air makes you drowsy because of increased levels of CO2 in it??? I wonder if that's really the reason...Any takers on this theory? I doubt the seals on the car are that tight..

-Chris Y.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual doesn't mention (at least I didn't find a mention of) automatic switching from Recirculated to Outside air. It does mention that Recirculated air fogs up the windows more easily.

·
8,880 Posts
My car turns re-circulate on sometimes. Only in AC mode thou. Might be because AC is more effective this way. Haven't noticed the other way around since I'm always driving w/ fresh air.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be sure to ask my service guy about "disabling" it too...very annoying! And I only notice it after I inhale a bunch of posion fumes from some truck or bus and say WTF!?

Gona bring it in to replace my bumber, they drilled the license plate holes for me by accident,go figure, so there gona put a new bumber on next tuesday....they did this when they were repairing the rodent damage.

Btw, the rodent damage came out to $500 including labor...Never caught the Rat Bastard, my traps are still out, and I aslo got one of them plug in Rodent repellers that DteW suggested, maybe that did it!? *knock on wood*

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey crontab, I gotta pretty good quote (30,300) from a Lisa at Ray Catena. How was your experience with them? Are they on the up and up?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by Zxarkon:
Hey crontab, I gotta pretty good quote (30,300) from a Lisa at Ray Catena. How was your experience with them? Are they on the up and up?
That is a very good deal. Mine was ~34K back in 9/00. Ray Catena treats me well, I guess. I have no complaints.

-crontab -l

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts