Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have done a ny to florida trip several times in my 95 sho and can tell you that it was very comfortablr. On march 9th I will be doing the 17 hr trip solo for the first time in my is. I can tell you then!!!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexisny:
I have done a ny to florida trip several times in my 95 sho and can tell you that it was very comfortablr. On march 9th I will be doing the 17 hr trip solo for the first time in my is. I can tell you then!!!
Cool...don't forget to let us know.
Me, the most i usually spend in my car a day is an hour in 15 min intervals so I wouldn't really know.......from home to school to back home to work to back home.

·
2,909 Posts
I saw someone with a Maryland plate about 4-5 weeks ago down here, I wonder if they are on this board...hmm...

------------------
'01 Graphite Gray Pearl
"gray" not "grey"

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've not done any lengthy journeys in my IS but I'm very interested in knowing what others have done and think about the car during a long ride...

I'm nore than pleased with the seats but again, during a long road trip things aren't always what they seem... heh heh...

Scott.

·
Registered
295 Posts
for some reason I have a feeling that it is not gonna be as comfortable as my ford but we will see. Gonna drink a lot of coffee, some vivarn and dave mathews and I should be set!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Picked up my new IS on 9/15/00 and immediately went on a 3000 mile trip to register it in OR ( I primerilly live in so. Cal). Cruized most of the time at 80mph. Went as far as Vancouver, BC,Canada and back home to LA area. Best milage was 26+mpg, avg. 24+. In the first 2 hours I got 2 nicks in the front hood paint from small rocks on the highway. This proves that the IS's paint is thin!. The seats are uncomfortable on long trips..they need lumbar adjustments as are due on the 02' model.

I now have the Borla exhaust (see pics elsewhere in the web site), 5 Zigen wheels, TRD sway barsand Endless front brake pads. Already ordered a set of Zeal coil over kit. Despite it's faults, I love this car.
Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
A few weeks ago i drove from Philly to Boston, it takes about 5 hours. It wasnt bad at all. I usually cant stand the ride, your ass ends up falling asleep somewhere around connecticut and roadrage kicks in. I had a 95 eclipse before this car and i hated it. With the IS300, i loved the whole ride. The seats were comfortable, and the climate control always helps.

------------------

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
East Brunswick, NJ, to Boston, MA.
Had a blast...got like a thousand thumbs up, and hit 140 mph several times (no tickets, hehe).

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Bergen County, NJ to Ocean City Maryland. Not too bad...

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
2000 Razor Scooter w/Wheelie Bar
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

·
Registered
113 Posts
went from LA to seattle and back again for christmas. the seats could use a lumbar adjustment but otherwise the car is great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I drove three hours first week, the ride was comfortable, but I had like 5 chips/dents on the front bumper when I got back. Hit 140 a couple times...nice and smooth!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I’m going to Corpus Christi this Spring Break, 450 mi one way (that’s all within one state!), but I’m sort of afraid to drive it that far. I already have boatload of chips on my hood, I don’t think I want any more. Although, it sounds like this drive can be pretty fun on IS.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I went from NYC to Toronto (515miles) and back... It felt like I was chillin on the couch in my living room. Very nice ride for a long period of time. Car felt good on the road. I still have not bothered with cruise control though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The day I got it, we drove to Las Vegas from San Fran and back. The next day, we went from San Fran to Diego. With the seat back all the way, steering tilted all the way down, it was a great ride. The only thing missing from the seats that would make it a perfect ride, is the thigh extension, like my BMW seats. Otherwise it cruises well over 100 without breaking a sweat (and I wasnt driving when we broke 100, my fiance was
)

------------------
Justy
99 328i
01 IS300

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is this, "thin paint" issue exclusive to the IS, or is this true of all Lexus models ?

Maybe this is how they keep the price, and weight down ?

Is this a reason not to buy one ?

Any guess if the 2002 models will have better paint ? Do the Euro, and Japanese siblings have this problem ?

------------------
Lumber1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by OPENWIDE:
I now have the Borla exhaust (see pics elsewhere in the web site
where can I find these pics buddy? I'm a big fan of Borla and refuse to run any other brand of exhaust on my cars...

tia,
-Alt

------------------
Ashraf Shabudin / Ampman Audio Marketing Director, TeamAMP Director

·
Registered
120 Posts
For the Borla pics and a few others go to my web site: http://homepage.mac.com/openwide

Gained 5 hp and 4 trq. Don't know the price yet but the sales dept may have it by this time.

One note; It is a quiet system that comes with a resonator in the ame location as the stock one. It uses 2.25" pipes and a nice 4' oval gold anodizes(1") tip. Borla did me a favor and replaced the resonator section (which is right after the cat s), with a straight pipe. Sounds MUCH better. Perhaps you can ask for the straight pipe together with the resonator pipe so you can try both and decide which sound you like better?
Good luck, Steve

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The issue of weak paint spans across several brands and is due to stricter environmental regs. Paint nowadays is formulated so that it's less harmful to the environment than paint from several years ago. Unfortunately, the trade off is that the paint is more susceptible to chipping. Many people have installed and recommend clear bras like xpel or stoneguard (think clear contact paper except it's for your car) to reduce the amount of chipping. Please search the archives for more info.

Originally posted by Lumber1:
Is this, "thin paint" issue exclusive to the IS, or is this true of all Lexus models ?

Maybe this is how they keep the price, and weight down ?

Is this a reason not to buy one ?

Any guess if the 2002 models will have better paint ? Do the Euro, and Japanese siblings have this problem ?

[This message has been edited by JW (edited February 26, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts