Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if its because my front tires are 215s but i kinda recently noticed that steering the car is a little harder than it used too and by that i mean the steering wheel feels heavy. Is there something that perhaps that went over my head maintenance wise?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I dont know if its because my front tires are 215s but i kinda recently noticed that steering the car is a little harder than it used too and by that i mean the steering wheel feels heavy. Is there something that perhaps that went over my head maintenance wise?
P/S fluid level? trac control plays a role in the steering feel also......check the basics first

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P/S fluid level? trac control plays a role in the steering feel also......check the basics first
P/S levels are a tad shy from being full not sure if a slight difference is enough to cause a change in steering. I am not sure how u want me to check traction control. I have an 01 so my traction control is more aggressive than it should be, i mean a simple turn and some gas throws on the traction control. Kind of annoying.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
My 01 steering feels heavy....but in a good way.
My 02 feels loose...but I have light weight rims on....can't remember how it felt with the OEM's but what other reasons could make my 02 feel steering feel light, like it turns easily.

·
Premium Member
18,159 Posts
My 01 steering feels heavy....but in a good way.
My 02 feels loose...but I have light weight rims on....can't remember how it felt with the OEM's but what other reasons could make my 02 feel steering feel light, like it turns easily.
Loose as in has play in the wheel? Normally, your steering wheel should have no more than about a quarter inch of play. Any more means something is worn or loose and needs to be fixed like tie rod ends or worn rack. Are you sure the air in your tires are good and not low on your 2001? But you're right about the wheels, lighter wheels are quicker steering as they have less gyroscopic effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.