Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You can see from the various threads on here that there are people who have issues with their lower control arm bushings. Sadly... the only OEM option is to replace the entire lower control arm because Toyota doesn't sell just the bushings. You can order TRD Bushings... but they don't seem stocked by retailers in North America... so they'll need to come direct from Japan. Most places couldn't guarantee a shipping time but it looked like you would be waiting around 2 months.

I started looking for LCA bushings because I was having really bad inner edge tire wear. There was a very defined strip on the inner edge of my front tires that were wearing out really quickly... and LCA bushings were one of the things that were said to be able to cause that. I was going to order TRD bushings at first... but after I started noticing that my steering seemed looser as well... I didn't want to deal with a long wait time and ended up picking up the Hard Race bushings which were available immediately.

The Hard Race bushings are made in Taiwan. They are supposed to be made of higher durometer rubber (stiffer). When I got them... I checked them out and they seemed to be a quality piece... I showed them to my mechanic... and he seemed to think they looked good as well. My mechanic's only comment during installation was that it was very difficult to press bushings out... and push the new ones in. But he had no issues with the product itself.

After driving the car... you can feel a difference... but it's not a night-and-day difference. The car feels tighter... and the steering feels tighter as well. Before I changed the bushings... you could wiggle the steering wheel a bit back and forth... and you wouldn't really notice much change of direction on the road. After changing the bushings... every slight movement of the steering wheel translates to a movement on the road... much better. Only time will tell if the tire wear has improved.

So if your LCA bushings bushings are worn out... Hard Race bushings seem to be another legit option. You can find them at various online vendors... they may be sold under the TopSpeed brand. You can also get them on ebay.

Just to make a cost comparison on parts... buying the bushing is 85% cheaper than buying the whole lower control arm.

Reactions: CEB

·
Registered
16 Posts
i ve been looking around for some lca bushings. i have read that these are very well made and for the price. its beats buying the whole control arm from the dealer. i will be ordering my sets today from topspeedracing.com for $49.00 a set.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed these and love them. I also replaced my front lower ball joints as well as struts. The cars rides so much better but the loose steering feel that you get on the highway if you are traveling faster than 60+ MPH is still there. We all need one more bushing to refurbish our front end... The steering rack bushings. Like the GS the IS is a smaller version of the GS chassis. The bushings are equally soft with a short life to live. Figs and Daizen are now on the call to create a fix. Research, then post on my post if you are in need.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Isn't this a good steering rack bushing replacment?

Night Pager - Steering Rack Bush - Nengun Performance

Or is it just as soft as OEM?

I ordered the LCA poly bushings but after reading more and more I believe one that I ordered will not work for my LCA's...guess I will find out tomorrow when I go to install them :suspiciou

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
when installing the lower control arm bushing, did you reuse that stock little rubberish spacer?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I found that it does not really add more vibration but I noticed that the chassis is much more stable. I havent had a chance to push hard on the car but I already noticed more stability and consistency, but then again my caster bushings were wasted and lca bushing was cracked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed mine. I got them off ebay and they seem good. I ended up spending a little more because I had them pressed. Definitely rides better the steering is tighter and freeplay is gone. Drives like when I first got the car. Plus the annoying creaking is gone....

·
Registered
843 Posts
I ordered mine through TopSpeed. I called them and they were very nice.

Each side was 50 bucks. 105 total.

Install at local shop with front end alignment was 80 bucks!

So for a total of 185. I got 4 nice bushings installed and aligned.

Great ride and feel. SOLID front end ride. A lot of sloppiness eliminated. I live with horrible roads and I daily drive it with no discomfort. stock shocks w/ h-techs (soon to be HA coilovers in 2 weeks - woot)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ordered mine through TopSpeed. I called them and they were very nice.

Each side was 50 bucks. 105 total.

Install at local shop with front end alignment was 80 bucks!

So for a total of 185. I got 4 nice bushings installed and aligned.

Great ride and feel. SOLID front end ride. A lot of sloppiness eliminated. I live with horrible roads and I daily drive it with no discomfort. stock shocks w/ h-techs (soon to be HA coilovers in 2 weeks - woot)
How did you find them for $50 a side? I found the site on ebay where they want 70 each side. is there a site or phone number you could send me please to where they are $50 a side. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
So far these guys have been way cool with getting back to me and I ordered and confirmed over the phone and had a tracking number within an hour after order. So far the experience has been great with the company. Install date is in one week so Ill update with performance satisfaction then.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.