Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After spending some time browsing the forums and checking out other member's build threads I thought it would make sense to create a build history thread to replace my L-Tuned build thread. So here's how it all happened over the last 10 years! :)

November 2004
1. Purchased the car in November of 2004 - Found a picture of the L-Tuned kit on Google and it was the start of the end
2. L-Tuned emblems (Exterior Kit) - dealer Jan '05

It wasn't long before I found this forum called is300.net and a bunch of new friends all into the same thing I was. It's time for a meet! My first car meet - video too!

3. L-Tuned Rims 'Rays Versus Campionato SS7' in Silver 18x7.5 +42 offset - eBay March '05
4. L-Tuned Port of Call Sticker and L-Tuned Performance Sticker - eBay March '05
5. JDM Dash Tray - Gift June '05
6. CarsonTuned Kit included bumper, sideskirts, rear lip, fogs + TRD Grille - dealer July '05
When I first started looking for stuff, Steve at Carson Toyota was the person and place to go. They even featured my ride after I got their kit installed. That's what I'm talking about! Featured PICS for CarsonTuned

7. L-Tuned Standard Tip Exhaust - my.is Aug '05
8. L-Tuned Floor Mats - eBay Sep '05
9. L-Tuned Sway Bars - my.is Dec '05

In my search, I was also lucky enough to find 14 genuine TRD Elegance Front Lips for the USDM bumper. These were sold to my.is members for $250 a piece. TRD Elegance/Elegant Lip - Want some more?

10. L-Tuned Rear Lip - my.is Jan '06
11. Eibach Pro Kit Springs - eBay Apr '06
12. L-Tuned Exhaust Extended Tip - dealer Jun '06
13. Replica L-Tuned Exterior, Interior and Port of Call Sticker - Local 2006
After catching the fever, I just couldn't wait to find my missing L-Tuned badges so I created my own L-Tuned Replica Badges available from HappySMP and L-Tuned Interior and Front Grille Badges - Finally Done

14. Genuine L-Tuned Front Badge - Local 2006

15. Decided that I wanted a refresh after the second gen IS was released. So I went ahead with retrofitting the second gen button in the car Project Complete: 2IS button in the IS300

16. L-Tuned Springs - eBay Jul '07
17. Genuine L-Tuned Bumper, fogs, grille, sideskirts - my.is Aug '07
This required some work 11 Layers of paint on my L-Tuned bumper! - Bullock City

Had to get in on this - Too bad I never went through with the install Mazzuri Headers Group Buy

And another project that never came to be Project: Heads up display (HUD) in the IS300

18. Black Pearl Embems - my.is May '08
19. L-Tuned Emblems for GS - eBay Jun '08
20. PLP Front and Rear Strut Bars - my.is July '08
21. JoeZ Intake - my.us July '08

Headed to my first clubfoot BBQ. Great turn out and amazing food by welcoming host. GTA: clubfoot's 4th Annual my.IS.ca BBQ - July 25, 2009 (pics on post #155, page 11)

22. L-Tuned Spoiler - Team Lexus Car Oct '09
23. Rotora 4-piston Front BBK - Local Oct '09
24. Team Lexus BBS RKII 17" Rims - Team Lexus Card Oct '09

You've got to give back to the community when you can. So I compiled just about everything I ever gathered around the L-Tuned Package The Comprehensive L-Tuned Thread

25. L-Tuned Double Staggered Rims in Gunmetal! - my.is May 2010
26. Retrofitted Magellean GPS into 7" OEM Navigation Housing - my.is July 2010
27. Installed Figs Hood props - my.is Dec '10

New rims and brakes called for a picture thread. HappySMP's L-Tuned Build Thread

28. Keyless Smart Entry by Advanced Keys - March '11
29. L-Tuned/TRD Front Elegance Lip - my.is May '11

30. LMS Heatshield - my.is Mar '12

31. Dual projector headlight retrofit - Flashtech/Lightwerkx June '12 - Sept '13
This was quite the adventure and the entire build is here Project foureyes: Quad projector retrofit from FlashTech and fix by Lightwerkz DONE

32. Custom wrapped steering wheel wrap in alcantara and red stitching - Redlinegoods Oct '13
It only took 8 years but I finally got this project done Project: BMW M3 Alcantara/Ultrasuede IS300 Steering Wheel - DONE with PICS!

33. L-Tuned Interior Dash ' my.is Nov '14

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy. Yeah it never occurred to me 10 years ago when I first joined the forum to stick with the same build thread. It would've made for a better thread for sure. Better late then never

You must spread some reputation before giving it to Tobiassing again

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
I like to see more pics of the front plate setup. I have mine ziptied to the lower grille section. It angles and I don't like how it looks. Any input how you have it look like its floating? :approve:

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure
If you're running the oem bumper then grabbing one of these off eBay is perfect
New JDM Black Universal Front Bumper License Plate Relocator Bracket Holder Bar | eBay

It's called the jdm license plate bracket
You do have to screw this into the bumper but it would be underneath the front part of the bumper so you won't see it if you ever take it off. It installs easily, strong and looks oem.

The oem bumper is the right shape and has the right strength in this area so it's a good match. The l-tuned bumper has a slightly different angle and it wouldn't look or install as nicely so keep that in mind.

For the l-tuned bumper I had previously used long bolts and passed them through the lower mesh grille. This was a good solution but uses the bumper itself to somewhat pressure fit (with bolts) itself on. After some time you'll notice that the long bolts actually rub against the grille and peel the rubberized/plastic coating on the grille. You also have to be careful as to where the license plate itself touches the bumper. Sand and dirt will get into this area and act like a sandpaper on your bumper. To prevent it you'll have to add some weatherstripping foam on the bumper (not the license plate!).

I haven't yet found a clean solution for the l-tuned bumper. I may actually use the bolts underneath the bumper and use and some L brackets to hold the license plate. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 100% glad to see that you still mounted the plate in the middle, even though that bracket is for mounting it on the side. That looks so rice IMO.
Ha ha :)
Still looking for the perfect "centre" mount on the l-tuned bumper
Think it's gonna be a hardware store diy

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recently acquired an L-Tuned Interior Dash Emblem.
Part Number: L-Tuned Badge - Interior #COTRD-05100-30

This little badge represented a long journey for me from trying to buy it, find it, fabricate it...here's a small visual story of where it started and where it ended. Thanks Brandon!

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
You say the end in the other thread, but you will probably start another build thread in a couple yrs :lol:

I'm 100% glad to see that you still mounted the plate in the middle, even though that bracket is for mounting it on the side. That looks so rice IMO.
Agreed. I was thinking it was that style of bracket, but had to confirm before I order mine. To me, center is the way to go :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Glad it finally made it to you. Your car is one of my favorite.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not just get 2 little 90degree pieces from a hardware store?
That's the plan
I want to throw the L-Tuned bumper back on next summer and need a clean solution. Best option so far I've found is the sto and go license plate bracket that mounts underneath the bumper bottom lip. Has the added benefit of hiding the ugly plate when parked. But from a practical perspective I don't think I would ever "sto" it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts