Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bare with me if this has been answered in past discussions but I searched for 2 hours and couldn't find anything that fit. My IS's handling has gotten rearly sloppy. Every time I hit a bump or change in road conditions my car is all over the place. It almost feels like my suspension is not linked together. Even the wind is now pushing me all over the road.

I have 150,000 miles on my car. 30,000 miles ago I replace my struts and shocks with Prokit/ Koni yellows.That is the only susp mods I have.

I don't know what it could be? Do I need new bushings? I don't think my koni's went already but I do live on Long Island and the roads do suck here. I can replace almost anything but I am the worst at diagnosing the problem in the first place. Any help is appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
547 Posts
Let's start with this first.

Has it always been like this or did this handling trait come up recently? What may have occurred to your car prior to this showing up?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Check and make sure your sway bars are installed/tightened correctly, and get you alignment checked if you haven't already.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing has happened to my car. Thats the problem. I am assuming this is due to bad road conditions. The car doesn't shimmy at all but I had my alignment check anyway but that didn't help. The tires were checked for wear and balance they were basically fine. My car origionally had very tight steering and cornering.

I haven't had any bushings replaced on my car yet. Having 150K miles should I look to any specific ones that are prone to failure. And if there are what should I look for? The only other thing I can think of is that the koni's are shot.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks like you have checked the likely causes. Here are my thoughts:

1. To check your shocks, bounce each corner of the car by pushing down on each corner. When you let go, the oscillations should stop within 1 up and down motions.

2. It sounds like your steering linkages need to be checked to ensure everything is tightend down.

3. Bushings are very possible. Lexus bushings are soft. At 150K miles, I'm wouldn't be surprised if they are worn. Check all suspension arm bushings and the subframe bushing. You are looking for cracked bushings and in a severe case, the bushing can wear completely thur on one side and you could have metal to metal contact. I doubt this is the case or else you could hear the metal to metal.

4. Does the car sit relatively leveled from driver to passenger side? The driver side typically sits lower by 1/2".

5. Have all your suspension bolts checked to ensure tightness and check to see if suspension members are bent from the potholes.

Does this occur when going straight or only during turns? Can you isolate the condition to either the front or rear suspension?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts