Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can vouch for how the IS300 handles w/ or w/out snowtires. Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
There have been a lot of threads on this topic if you search the forums.

But the quick answer is don't do it unless you have snow tires!

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Kingbud:
I was wondering if anyone can vouch for how the IS300 handles w/ or w/out snowtires. Thanks.
Last post is correct, but if you got 16" wheels it with, you can get away w/out snow tires...
The traction will be poor, but much better than the stock 17".
If you drive a lot in the winter, get snow tires.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dont expect to go anywhere without snowtires.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Black Onyx/Fully Equipped
18" Katana Spazios coming soon!
Dont start none and there wont be none!
Public Advocate for IS300.net members

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I wouldn't call a rwd vehicle with low profile summer tires a car, but rather a sled that slides down the street.

I have 16" with only all-years and I can drive safely at ~30 mph on about 2 in. of packed snow.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for letting me know about previous forums about this issue, there are a lot of them to search in case you haven't noticed! It can snow a lot in Colorado and I just wanted to make sure that the IS could be a functional car in the snow. I just graduated from college and am looking to get my first car. I am leaning towards getting an IS300--my dad wants me to get a Maxima, which is a good car, but not as fun as the IS300. I think its a matter of age... Although he does have a 87 Supra that hauls ass with a modified turbo and exhaust. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I love the site. Any ideas how to convince him the IS is the best?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Kingbud
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing