Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
There have been a lot of threads on this topic if you search the forums.

But the quick answer is don't do it unless you have snow tires!

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Kingbud:
I was wondering if anyone can vouch for how the IS300 handles w/ or w/out snowtires. Thanks.
Last post is correct, but if you got 16" wheels it with, you can get away w/out snow tires...
The traction will be poor, but much better than the stock 17".
If you drive a lot in the winter, get snow tires.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dont expect to go anywhere without snowtires.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Black Onyx/Fully Equipped
18" Katana Spazios coming soon!
Dont start none and there wont be none!
Public Advocate for IS300.net members

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I wouldn't call a rwd vehicle with low profile summer tires a car, but rather a sled that slides down the street.

I have 16" with only all-years and I can drive safely at ~30 mph on about 2 in. of packed snow.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for letting me know about previous forums about this issue, there are a lot of them to search in case you haven't noticed! It can snow a lot in Colorado and I just wanted to make sure that the IS could be a functional car in the snow. I just graduated from college and am looking to get my first car. I am leaning towards getting an IS300--my dad wants me to get a Maxima, which is a good car, but not as fun as the IS300. I think its a matter of age... Although he does have a 87 Supra that hauls ass with a modified turbo and exhaust. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. I love the site. Any ideas how to convince him the IS is the best?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts